Flu before boarding

djpolly

I have heard that Cruise lines can refuse to let passangers who have had the flu/fever near their sail date board the cruise ship. Is this true?

Before you check in, you must fill out a health questionaire. It asks if anyone in the party has had specific symptoms in the 48 hours prior to boarding.

My DH is the one who usually fills this out, so I'm not sure exactly what symptoms are asked about, but I know vomiting, diarrea, and maybe fever are some.

Please be honest when filling out the questionaire. Illness can run wild on a cruise ship. Remember, you will be touching the same door handles, stair railings, deck rails, serving utensils in the buffet, restroom facilities as everyone else, and it can affect more than just you.

If necessary, an individual will be assessed by the health care personnel (either the nurse, or the doctor) prior to being allowed to board.

:)

Unfortunately most people lie and say they are fine, even while they can barely stand and have been in the toilet three times in the apst 20 minutes.

That's why even if you're fine it's always a good idea to WASH YOUR HANDS before you eat.

That's why even if you're fine it's always a good idea to WASH YOUR HANDS before you eat.

You're preaching to the choir. I generally avoid buffets for that reason, I've sen far too many people leave a restroom without washing up. GROSS GROSS GROSS!!!

Not even leaving the rest room....just touching things in general. I've worked in Peds and without being insulting kids are germ incubators and they have a tendency to touch everything. Everyone needs to wash before meals especially before a buffet when you're handling the serving spoons someone else touched.

Smoke and mirrors, they don't help with viruses--which are what cause Noro.

Antibacterial doesn't necessary exclude antiviral. It depends on what wipe they are using. Some wipes use Benzethonium Chloride which is an anti-viral effective against Norovirus.

The CDC also recommends using an alcohol based disinfectant to battle Norovirus. Purel is alcohol based as is my shipboard day.

Of course, the best prevention is to wash thoroughly with soap and water and keep you hands away from your mouth.

Bottom line, if people would just wash their hands after using the bathroom, disease would be reduced by 80% or more.

To this day I still can't get over the number of people I see use a restroom and not wash their hands thoroughly afterwards. I recently couldn't help but hear a woman in an airport bathroom who obviously had some sort of GI disease. She came out of the stall and walked out of the bathroom without washing her hands. And people wonder why I use a paper towel to open the door? To keep my freshly washed hands from touching her fecal matter--that's why.

I spent the last day of my cruise sitting in the ships hospital with my daughter, Virus or food, while they replaced fluids, 2 bags, and gave her meds for naussa, not fun missed my Palo's brunch. She had to stay in our stateroom till the end of the cruise. I came down with the flu the morning we were getting off the ship. To top it all they lost one of our bags.

Archived