Upgrade question

Rosee

Does anyone have "inside" information, on how and why upgrades occur on your booked cabin?

On Princess line two years ago, we were asked at the time of booking whether or not we would accept an upgrade if it was offered. At that time we declined, because as it was a first time cruise, we wanted to remain in the part of the ship we had chosen.

This year we have made an online booking on another cruise line, and are wondering whether or not we MIGHT be lucky enough to be offered an upgrade.

Any ideas on who they choose to upgrade, or why they would want to change your booked cabin in the first place?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Cruise lines generally upgrade to fill any vacancies in the higher cabin levels, once they've determined that they are unlikely to sell any more of that category. Usually people claim that the more you've cruised with that line, the more likely you are to be upgraded, but it's not clear what their methods are. We've been upgraded twice. Once was on Carnival, where we had booked an aft balcony cabin. Sometime after booking, Carnival called and asked if it was OK to move us to a Jr. Suite. They said a family wanted to book the whole aft section and they were trying to accommodate them. We happily said yes! The other upgrade was on our Princess Australia/New Zealand cruise, again with a balcony cabin booked. When we went through check-in in Sydney, they notified us that our cabin had been changed. At first we were unhappy, since we really liked the location we had chosen, but that quickly disappeared when we found ourselves in a full suite. There were many passengers on board who had cruised with Princess many more times than us, so we have no idea why we were selected. Thought about asking, but were a little afraid they would realize they had made a mistake and ask us to move!

We received upgrades on Rhapsody of the Seas - balcony to mini suite and on Oriana - oceanview to balcony. It was the first time we had cruised with RCI and P&O UK.

With Princess, we also took a punt with a "guarantee cabin" booking at the cheapest rate/category with an online agency and was also upgraded to a higher category and floor but still the same type of cabin (inside).

Thanks Meggsie,

I was wondering whether it made a difference booking with the Company itself or using an online service. But it doesn't seem to matter from your experience.

Here's hoping.....

some upgrades that you get could be to an unforavable position....you might have a cabin midship and they upgrade you to a higher deck but it could be right at the front or at the back...but upgrades it depends on the upgrade fairy

Thanks Kartgv,

Imagine it would be an annoying shock to hear your cabin had been changed on boarding. It would seem to be unlikely to be changed to the same category of cabin, though an upgrade if your category was required for someone else, is understandable.

Just like to know their system, but probably a well kept secret, or even a lottery.....right place, right time !

You are more likely to get an upgrade if you book a 'guarantee' cabin then if you book a specific cabin. People booking guarantees are usually responding to a 'special' deal and agree to accept any cabin in the category they book, or a cabin in a more expensive category. The downside is that you can end up with a cabin in an undesirable area (the one closest to the bow) as we had once. From my experience with guarantees with P&O, the earlier people book the more likely they are to receive an upgrade. I believe the head office just goes down the list in chronological order giving up-grades.

On most occasions the upgrade would be on your cruise personaliser a few days, sometimes a week or more prior to the cruise. I have heard of people finding about an up-grade when they check in (our daughter for one) but it hasn't happened to us.

If you want the specific cabin you have selected, it is wise to tick the 'no-upgrade' box. We have gone with 'no upgrade' on a b2b2b (three consecutive cruises) we have booked where we don't want to have to move during the cruise just because we get an up-grade on one leg only and it might not be much better than the cabin we chose. Upgrades are more likely to a similar cabin type - don't expect an upgrade from an inside cabin to a balcony. :):)

I can only assume that we were very lucky as the upgrades we received were all midship where we prefer to be as per our original bookings (with the exeption of the guarantee category - where we had no original cabin allocation). It also was eventually a cabin midship. But it is better to have any cabin than one experience we had. When we arrived at the check-in, only to be told there was no record of our booking! It was sorted eventually and we had a good time. We usually prefer balcony midship but have been oceanview, inside, mini suite, up front and back and it's all good. The guarantee category was on a bargain cruise $148 twin inside, Caribe deck, Dawn Princess Syd to Mel, Dec 2011, with $25 onboard credit and my sister had $50 onboard credit given to her on her 1st Princess cruise to use within 12 months. Had a fabulous time, entertainment great and food terrific. Looking forward to Radiance, a 'hump' balcony, then Queen Elizabeth, large interior, down lower deck - not so sure about this one!

Upgrades can happen for all sorts of unexpected reasons, e.g. some in Oasis were upgraded as there had a been a plumbing leak in an area of the ship so those on the next cruise were upgraded. There are other unexpected reasons that you can't plan for. You could probably put the special block request in that category - note it doesn't happen normally, e.g. if you have a cabin for 3 but only two of you and a family of three asks to book but there are no cabins available in that class they won't just move you. The family is just told there are none available.

In general, the more typical situations would arise on ships where they have demand for specific types of cabins and not others. It's probably easier to say that you're less likely to get an upgrade on popular sailings, as they will sell the cabins normally anyway. It's where they still have vacancies later on that there is more likelihood - but still no guarantee. Also, the policies/approach differ by cruiseline.

Hi All

I reckon that the upgrade system is essentially part of the computer based booking system.For example the formulas in the booking/cabin allocation system would include number of people, total net costings of fares already sold,past cost analysis of similar cruises,it may even get down to age of people etc eg 4 fellas may have a larger spending pattern that say a couple and 2 kids. The system would also be able to produce average spends per cabin etc.

The formulas of course would be commercial in confidence. But all booking systems for all lines would be similar. So in short the computer spits out the upgrades based when certain parameters are meet and the upgrade is usually one or two categories above what has been booked. of course certain managers /supervisors would have the authority to override the computer system.But essentially it is generated by the relevant booking system

This is my opinion but during my work career my industry was transport and we used scheduling,booking and management information systems that would do a similar job.

I always reckon the later you get the cabin allocation the better upgrade, that is my opinion only . We have been on nine cruises and the later notifications have put us two grades higher.

regards

It also seems that occasionally upgrades will happen as a matter of course. For instance, for our last cruise on the Pacific Pearl, P&O were offering very cheap fares for 4 berth obstructed view cabins. The ship doesn't actually have any 4 berth OVs :rolleyes:. So I knew when I booked our cat II cabin that we would be upgraded, I assumed to cat G. I was very happy when I checked the personaliser after paying the deposit to find we had been allocated a cabin in cat EE! :D

My guess is that cruise hadn't been selling very well, and they used the cheap fare as a lead in to get more people on board.

It also seems that occasionally upgrades will happen as a matter of course. For instance, for our last cruise on the Pacific Pearl, P&O were offering very cheap fares for 4 berth obstructed view cabins. The ship doesn't actually have any 4 berth OVs :rolleyes:. So I knew when I booked our cat II cabin that we would be upgraded, I assumed to cat G. I was very happy when I checked the personaliser after paying the deposit to find we had been allocated a cabin in cat EE! :D

My guess is that cruise hadn't been selling very well, and they used the cheap fare as a lead in to get more people on board.

That was clever thinking. :)

I agree with your comment that if the cruise isn't selling well, there are cheap fares offered as lead-in.

People we know just got upgraded on Aracadia, Sydney to Capetown, from inside to balcony..true. Lucky ducks !

These little black ducks, paid for and got obstructed view. P&O UK Upgrade fairy where art thou?

In 14 cruises no upgrade yet. Not even on Sydney Harbour Ferry. LOL.

It does happen, hang in there folks!

Archived