Explorer delayed arrival

megr1125

Very sad for the people directly involved in the emergency.

From the roll call where they are aware :

Delay – Explorer of the Seas

January 25, 2012

11:00 a.m. E.S.T

Explorer of the Seas' arrival to Cape Liberty has been unexpectedly delayed due to a medical emergency, and will now arrive in Bayonne, New Jersey, on Saturday, January 28, one day later than originally scheduled.

We ask that guests who are scheduled to sail on Explorer of the Season Friday, January 27 not arrive at the port until 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, January 28. We kindly ask that guests come to the terminal between 2:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, January 28 for check-in and boarding.

Regrettably, the delayed arrival is expected to have an impact on the scheduled itinerary. Additional information on the revised itinerary will be provided on Saturday at embarkation.

I'm on the next sailing.

I just got my automated message from RCI about the delay. I just also extended my hotel stay by one night as I'm flying out tomorrow.

I really hope the person is okay. I'm glad to hear that they will probably cut down the cruise and come back the same day as I don't wish to exchange my flight.

Of course, the one cruise I don't get insurance, this happens. Ah well, I'm still on vacation, so I'm enjoying it!

Could they have turned and headed to a closer port to off load the medical emergency ..

Anybody report from on board?

I'm curious as to why the delay is 24 hours. A few years ago I was on a cruise that had a medical emergency. They did as you said, headed closer to shore. Once they were closer, the young man was tendered to shore where he was transported to the closest major city. We were delayed by 2 or 3 hours returning but definitely not 24 hours!

I am guessing that since they're going to be 24+ hours late that they're diverting to another port....perhaps STT or SJU? just a guess

there IS a CCer onboard..EmpressOfPurple so perhaps she will post.....she's been doing a nice detailed blog......

The original schedule was :Monday Jan 23 St.Kitts and 24/25/26 @ sea and 27 Bayonne. So looks like they had to go back to one of the islands (my guess Puerto Rico) because if she had diverted to Bermuda, she could have make it on Friday with some delay.

Naturally I am terribly sorry for the medical emergency but I wonder how RCCL will take responsibility for re-booking people's flights and other arrangements in this type of situation.

Wonder what happened.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

A few years ago on Princess, we could not get into port because of a hurricane. Spent two extra nights onboard. ;) Princess assisted only those that had booked flights through them. We did not, but had no trouble changing our flights at no extra cost . The FLL airport had been damaged and closed, also. Princess did give everyone onboard free phone calls and internet service. Boy, was there ever a line! Anyway, we used the phone calls to get in touch with my brother, who kindly arranged our flight plans.

We are on the next sailing and have not gotten any information except that there is a medical emergency. Hopefully all is well. I have been on many cruises where they have airlifted people off or turned back to a port. Never has it delayed the ship over 24 hours. I am pretty sure our cruise will be the one shorten and not any other cruises. Too expensive to change more then one. Just got a call from my TA Royal hadn't even called them to advise. They found out from the Royal Web site. OMG

I was on the Serenade last fall when our arrival back in San Juan was threatened by Tropcial Storm Maria. We were given free internet access to try to make changes to our return reservations. If the scene onboard the Explorer is anything like the one on the Serenade, the passengers are having a hard time finding an open terminal - even though extras have probably been set up. I was lucky to have CL access where the wait was much shorter. However, I don't think all the CLs have internet access, do they?

You posted a mad smiley face. Are you angry about the change? I can understand being disappointed, but you should know that a medical delay is not something they can control. They would never do something like this unless they had no choice. Obviously, someone's life is at stake here, so a little compassion would not be out of order.

Years ago an NCL ship arrived a day late due to a mechanical issue (hit an abandoned fishing net in Boston the prior day). NCL put the out of town guests up in Hilton (where we'd stayed pre cruise anyway) or Sheraton, gave us meal vouchers for the hotel restaurants, set up help desk in the hotels, provided transfers to the port for the delayed embarkation, refunded 1/11 of the fare (11 night cruise) and gave everybody a small OBC. I was impressed at how hard they tried to keep everybody as happy and safe as possible. that was 2003- I have not forgotten. Good will matters. I hope in the end, Royal Caribbean can also manage to make a favorable impression on those sailing Explorer.

You posted a mad smiley face. Are you angry about the change? I can understand being disappointed, but you should know that a medical delay is not something they can control. They would never do something like this unless they had no choice. Obviously, someone's life is at stake here, so a little compassion would not be out of order.

You're right, I do hope the person is okay.

It must be pretty serious to put them 24 hours behind schedule.

In Sept we were 2 1/2 hours out of port and had to turn back around due to a sick passenger. We didn't arrive in Bayonne till almost midnight and I'm not even sure what time we left again. The captain "floored it" and we got to Bermuda only an hour late. Some people complained they felt the ship rocking. I felt it as well but it didn't bother me. (it was my first cruise so I don't know how it should have felt).

It was funny not in a ha ha kinda way, to hear the rumors that spread through the ship. The crazy things that people told me they heard. Meanwhile we were on the top deck and saw who was removed from the ship. Even funnier talking to people the next day, some didn't even know we returned to port!

It will actually be more than 24 hours late because we've been advised not to get to port and that check-in is from 2-6. I spoke with customer service and she said that the ship's arrival is also affected by other ships sailing out of Bayonne that day.

I hope it's not something more serious that they are not relaying to the passengers; I do hope we receive a partial credit though as we will be missing a full day.

The right thing to do would be to give a prorated credit for the day missed. Hopefully they will do right by their customers. I realize it is beyond their control, but that would be the least they can do.

It will actually be more than 24 hours late because we've been advised not to get to port and that check-in is from 2-6. I spoke with customer service and she said that the ship's arrival is also affected by other ships sailing out of Bayonne that day.

As usual CS knows nothing...there are no other passenger ships sailing out of Bayonne that day..Silhouette sails Sunday.....

I wonder if they are asking us to not start boarding until 2:00, if they need to "scurb" the ship? Berhaps it's some sort of bug going around?

Who knows.. Extra day in NYC woo hoo!:cool:

(would rather be on the boat.. but oh well.)

Archived