Explorer delayed arrival

megr1125

Thanks! My only worry about this is checking out at the hotel. It's usually 12pm, but as long as I can stay there for an extra 90 minutes, I'll be good.

I'm, however, already dreading the mess I know the port is going to be in. I'll be wearing very comfortable clothing and running shoes on Saturday!

they should be able to accomodate you...just ask when you arrive....just explain what happened....they may not let you stay too late, but i would think that 1 PM or so shouldn't be a problem.....

I called, and called. The cruise will be shortened by a day. We will be compensated in some way but will get that information at Cape Liberty along with our new itinerary that will more than likely "be skipping a port of call", which one they did not mention. Also, I asked about packages such as drinks ect that were pre purchased and how we would get that compensated they said they didn't know. I then asked if they can disclose to me the medical emergency, and she said it will be posted on your reservation eventually the full details. They didn't even know at the point when I called. We are all in this together people! =) Typical medical emergency's such as heart attacks, surgery being needed, people are air lifted, I am assuming they need to disinfect the entire ship because somebody decided not to mention that they were ill, didn't get quarenteined and now a large amount of the employees or passengers are sick where a full disenfection is needed. Maybe Bed bugs!?? Who knows...ugh I hope whoever it is is ok, however I think because it is delayed for so long they need to disinfect the entire ship.
Read a few posts back, there is another blog explaining the emergency and it has nothing at all to do with disinfecting the ship or any type of Noro or bed bugs!:rolleyes::rolleyes:.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You really shouldn't "assume" anything, why not just wait for the official announcement??:confused:

People assuming stuff is how terrible, incorrect, totally useless rumors get started.

I'm not trying to pick on you, it's just that these kind of assumptions rarely amount to anything other than confusion.:)

AHHH, 1st post ehhh, I see.

Still you are correct....K.O. Near Philly;)

Delay – Explorer of the Seas

January 26, 2012

10:30 a.m. E.S.T

Explorer of the Seas' arrival to Cape Liberty has been unexpectedly delayed due to a medical emergency, and will now arrive in Bayonne, New Jersey, on Saturday, January 28, one day later than originally scheduled.

We ask that guests who are scheduled to sail on Explorer of the Season Friday, January 27 not arrive at the port until 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, January 28. We kindly ask that guests come to the terminal between 2:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, January 28 for check-in and boarding.

Regrettably, the delayed arrival is expected to have an impact on the scheduled itinerary. Guests will now spend Sunday, January 29, and Monday, January 30, at sea. Unfortunately, this additional day at sea will mean that the port call to Labadee, Haiti, will be cancelled. The remainder of the itinerary will remain the same.

A "friend" on a totally unrelated message board that has nothing to do w/cruising or travel, her parents are onboard and its a Male passenger whom they were requesting blood donations for prior to the med-evac.

Small world

I saw a blurb on a website scrolling around the internet today that said the Coast Guard delivered some blood to a passenger on a ship. Duh....I am just now putting two plus two together. Will need to go back and find that article and read it.

Edit: The one I was referring to above turns out to be a 67 year old female on Carnival Spirit out of San Diego on a 15 day journey to Hawaii.

I saw a blurb on a website scrolling around the internet today that said the Coast Guard delivered some blood to a passenger on a ship. Duh....I am just now putting two plus two together. Will need to go back and find that article and read it.

Edit: The one I was referring to above turns out to be a 67 year old female on Carnival Spirit out of San Diego on a 15 day journey to Hawaii.

That was in Hawaii for Carnival Spirit

If you are talking about the ship that the coast guard did an air drop of blood, that was actually a Carnival ship in the Pacific Ocean. The ship was too far from land for a helicopter rescue so they dropped some blood products to stabilize the patient until they could get them to land. It was on ABC world news lastnight that the person was in surgery and was expected to be ok.

edit: You found it while I was typing. :)

Naturally I am terribly sorry for the medical emergency but I wonder how RCCL will take responsibility for re-booking people's flights and other arrangements in this type of situation. Gunther and Uta

If you took 3rd party (not crusie line) insurance your covered. If you booked air line with cruise line and took cruise line insurance your covered. If you took cruise line insurance but booked your own air, air portion is not covered, unless you took seperate air insurance.

Cruise line insuarnce covers all items booked such as air, hotels, excursion, etc. If you booked them on your own tehy are not covered. Insurance company is Berkely call them if you don't believe me

In reality the cruise line (All of them) are not responsible for air, even if booked with them.

With that said.

In your documents there is an emergency phone number that will assist everyone re-booking air and other problems.

In most cases if booked with them they will pay the additonal air cost, but not guranteed. If booked on your own they MAY help financially but once again not guranteed

BUT they will all say that you should have taken insurance.

Hope those folks involved in this emergency are OK. Some facts regarding the RCL insurance. We always take the insurance from RCL and good thing we did. A few years back there was an emergency in our family and we had to get off the Freedom in San Juan. BerkeleyCare (ins) reimbursed for our unused (5) cruise days, plus the difference in air fare. It was a fair settlement. The only items that we were dissapointed in not getting reimbursed was the number of phone calls ($203) that were exchanged between my son and us.

Does anyone know what actually delayed the Explorer? I know it was posted that there were 2 emergencies. Maybe someone who was on the ship might have an update.

it was posted earlier/elsewhere...

the ship had to head back toward San Juan so someone could be med evaced off the ship....actually there were 2 very sick pax, one of whom was too ill to be taken off via helicopter.....

it was posted earlier/elsewhere...

the ship had to head back toward San Juan so someone could be med evaced off the ship....actually there were 2 very sick pax, one of whom was too ill to be taken off via helicopter.....

So what did they do for the 2nd passenger if only 1 was lefted off?

So what did they do for the 2nd passenger if only 1 was lefted off?

cared for them in the medical facility....

check out the daily account of the trip on this board by EmpressOfPurple..i would post a link but i am having a little internet connection problem....:eek:

Archived