Explorer delayed arrival

megr1125

I called, and called. The cruise will be shortened by a day. We will be compensated in some way but will get that information at Cape Liberty along with our new itinerary that will more than likely "be skipping a port of call", which one they did not mention. Also, I asked about packages such as drinks ect that were pre purchased and how we would get that compensated they said they didn't know. I then asked if they can disclose to me the medical emergency, and she said it will be posted on your reservation eventually the full details. They didn't even know at the point when I called. We are all in this together people! =) Typical medical emergency's such as heart attacks, surgery being needed, people are air lifted, I am assuming they need to disinfect the entire ship because somebody decided not to mention that they were ill, didn't get quarenteined and now a large amount of the employees or passengers are sick where a full disenfection is needed. Maybe Bed bugs!?? Who knows...ugh I hope whoever it is is ok, however I think because it is delayed for so long they need to disinfect the entire ship.

You really shouldn't "assume" anything, why not just wait for the official announcement??:confused:

People assuming stuff is how terrible, incorrect, totally useless rumors get started.

I'm not trying to pick on you, it's just that these kind of assumptions rarely amount to anything other than confusion.:)

AHHH, 1st post ehhh, I see.

I have the Explorer of the Seas on Sailwx.info website calling in at (2200 UTC) 5pm New York Time 1/24 her position was est at 800 nautical miles so east east of Miami heading North north west at 18 knots. Move that along 20 hours at 18 knots and she is now in the middle of nowhere A day and half sailing to any port or a days sailingto a position from which a helicopter can attempt a medical evacuation. Thats my take on it

Thank you for a sensible post.

Same thing happened on our EOS cruise. We were heading home to Bayonne. Medical emergency. Had to reverse and head south until we were in range of a Coast Guard helicopter that could meet up with us.

If the EOS is in the middle of nowhere, they need to get within range of a helicopter. On our cruise, we turned south and it took us 4 to 5 hours to get in range of the copter. So, it would make sense that the EOS is 11 to 12 hours of sailing time until they can meet the copter.

As for noro virus and the captain getting sick (or even dying) this would have no effect whatsoever on its arrival schedule in Bayonne.

currently on this cruise. we had to head back(500 miles) near Puerto Rico to get the ill passenger airlifted out and to San Juan. Passenger was succesfully transferred around 4:30pm(ship time). ship has turned around and is sailing at full speed to NJ. we are expected to arrive between 9am-10am Saturday. not flying, so not sure what compensation is being made but I do know everyone is being allowed to make one(1) phone call per person for free. no internet compensation for those needing to change their flights via the internet. no other info at this time.

currently on this cruise. we had to head back(500 miles) near Puerto Rico to get the ill passenger airlifted out and to San Juan. Passenger was succesfully transferred around 4:30pm(ship time). ship has turned around and is sailing at full speed to NJ. we are expected to arrive between 9am-10am Saturday. not flying, so not sure what compensation is being made but I do know everyone is being allowed to make one(1) phone call per person for free. no internet compensation for those needing to change their flights via the internet. no other info at this time.

Thanks for the update!

I wonder if they get back at 9 or 10, If I arrive at 11 like normally planned, we could get on by 12 or so.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the update.

Here's a recent email I got from some people I know onboard....may/may not be the gospel depending on what their source is

Two people on board who are near death and would not make it an extra day so we had to turn around and return to puerto Rico......heard one is a hemmoraging baby. Kudos to RCCL for doing the right thing.

Thanks for the update!

I wonder if they get back at 9 or 10, If I arrive at 11 like normally planned, we could get on by 12 or so.:rolleyes:

Lets see they usually get in at 6/8 and you get there at 11 and get on by 12. Nope, I'd plan on adding the extra 2/3 hours onto your arrival time. Other wise you may be turned away or find yourself setting for hours. It takes a couple hours just to doc/clear and unload the luggage. Than everyone still has to get off.

Now if they make up time and make it to port at the usually time 24 hours later that would be another story. Keep close track of thier time coming in.

I have a friend onboard..keeping an eye on his FB page to see if he posts any updates, although it appears that there's not much left to be learned.

Since they drove to NJ and are retired I'm sure the "inconvenience" of an extra day on the ship will not bother them one little bit. The situation creating the extra day is unfortunate (wish them the best), but just sayin'....

I just spoke with Lola at RCI and she just received the following update:

1/29 and 1/30 will be at sea. Labadee is cancelled. The rest of the itinerary is unchanged. If you booked excursions on Labadee through Royal, you'll receive a full refund via the method you paid. All passengers will receive an on board credit in the amount of 15% of the cuise fare due to the lost day.

She indicated that there would likely be little change from this. she also stongly urged me not to show up before 2:00 on Saturday.

This is the first we've heard of it, and those of us on the next sailing appreciate the update.

Bummer that Labadee is cancelled, but 15% I think is a pretty fair deal.

I wonder if the passengers will be able to cash out any unused OBC at the end of the cruise?

My DH and I hardly spend any money onboard, so we would never be able to use all that up. It would seem very unfair if we just lost the money if we did not spend it.

(We rarely drink, never gamble, don't buy overpriced ship jewelry, maybe buy one photo, take few excursions, pre-pay our gratuities, buy soda passes in advance! Our total sea pass bill is usually about $50-100.)

I just did the math, and the average price for a balcony cabin is about $1500, so that would mean an OBC of almost $500 per cabin. That would be a LOT of money to spend on board for many people.

I wonder if the passengers will be able to cash out any unused OBC at the end of the cruise?

My DH and I hardly spend any money onboard, so we would never be able to use all that up. It would seem very unfair if we just lost the money if we did not spend it.

(We rarely drink, never gamble, don't buy overpriced ship jewelry, maybe buy one photo, take few excursions, pre-pay our gratuities, buy soda passes in advance! Our total sea pass bill is usually about $50-100.)

I just did the math, and the average price for a balcony cabin is about $1500, so that would mean an OBC of almost $500 per cabin. That would be a LOT of money to spend on board for many people.

Can you get poker chips off your sea pass and then trade them in for cash?

15% of my total cost plus the on board credit I'm expecting from my TA will cover my gratuities and my internet package, so that is great to hear.

Would've loved to go to Labadee, but it's a port I've visited before and I haven't been to the others, so I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for the update!

I highly doubt it

Here's a recent email I got from some people I know onboard....may/may not be the gospel depending on what their source is

Two people on board who are near death and would not make it an extra day so we had to turn around and return to puerto Rico......heard one is a hemmoraging baby. Kudos to RCCL for doing the right thing.

Dear God I hope not

I just spoke with Lola at RCI and she just received the following update:

1/29 and 1/30 will be at sea. Labadee is cancelled. The rest of the itinerary is unchanged. If you booked excursions on Labadee through Royal, you'll receive a full refund via the method you paid. All passengers will receive an on board credit in the amount of 15% of the cuise fare due to the lost day.

She indicated that there would likely be little change from this. she also stongly urged me not to show up before 2:00 on Saturday.

Thanks! My only worry about this is checking out at the hotel. It's usually 12pm, but as long as I can stay there for an extra 90 minutes, I'll be good.

I'm, however, already dreading the mess I know the port is going to be in. I'll be wearing very comfortable clothing and running shoes on Saturday!

Thanks! My only worry about this is checking out at the hotel. It's usually 12pm, but as long as I can stay there for an extra 90 minutes, I'll be good.

I'm, however, already dreading the mess I know the port is going to be in. I'll be wearing very comfortable clothing and running shoes on Saturday!

Ask for late checkout when you get there. Unless they are sold out the next day, they should be able to accommodate you.

would mean an OBC of almost $500 per cabin. That would be a LOT of money to spend on board for many people.

Considering the number of stories I read here about $1000 bar bills, I'm not sure about that. ;)

I'd probably spend it on a few good excursions, and enjoy a *few* extra beverages. I suspect on this trip there will be some who will indulge I more than a "few" extras because of this OBC, though.

Archived