Can't stay loyal to Royal unless they run some sales, suggestions???

OK, we have done a "girls cruise" the last two years in April. Just a 4 day out of Miami or FLL. Have hit some really good deals both years on an OV rooms.

This year we are not finding anything at a decent price.

So............................. if we were to try carnival, which ships should we look at or which ones do we avoid.

Would rather stay with Royal to keep upping my point status and use my visa points, but $500 for an OV 4 day is just to much!!!

OK, we have done a "girls cruise" the last two years in April. Just a 4 day out of Miami or FLL. Have hit some really good deals both years on an OV rooms.

So............................. if we were to try carnival, which ships should we look at or which ones do we avoid.

Would rather stay with Royal to keep upping my point status and use my visa points, but $500 for an OV 4 day is just to much!!!

$500 for 4 nights is pretty cheap in April but I am seeing cheaper prices for the Majesty, sounds like you need to post your question about Carnival on the Carnival

This year all travel costs are expensive....airfare too.

Hoping some Royal cruisers that have cruised both lines could give me some pointers.

Yes, we have looked at Majesty. With taxes, its over $500. And agree airfare is crazy also. Hate to think it, but we may need to skip a year.

We started this when we found a 3 day for something like $219 and it was to good to pass up. Now we want to do a "cheapie" but can't find anything.

I always get a kick out of "loyal to royal". As I've said before, I'm loyal to family and friends. RCI is a company and we cruise them for several reasons, but loyalty isn't one of them. Currently, it works for us to cruise on RCI. Location, itinerary, cost. But, if we decide to cruise another line it's not a loyalty issue.

Our favorite Carnival ship is Glory (it's why we've cruised on her twice). Our least favorite is Miracle and that's partly because of decor. We actually prefer RCI over Carnival because the RCI ships ride better due to their width to length ratio. The ride on all of our RCI cruises have been better than the rides on all of our Carnival cruises.

I always get a kick out of "loyal to royal". As I've said before, I'm loyal to family and friends. RCI is a company and we cruise them for several reasons, but loyalty isn't one of them. Currently, it works for us to cruise on RCI. Location, itinerary, cost. But, if we decide to cruise another line it's not a loyalty issue.

Our favorite Carnival ship is Glory (it's why we've cruised on her twice). Our least favorite is Miracle and that's partly because of decor. We actually prefer RCI over Carnival because the RCI ships ride better due to their width to length ratio. The ride on all of our RCI cruises have been better than the rides on all of our Carnival cruises.

BDN, thanks for the info. Will check out the Glory.

Not really "loyal" either. Just a term I know is used on this board and understood!! I haven't cruised enough to be loyal (just 5 cruises) but some of the friends I am traveling with are diamond on royal.

Looking at 3rd week of April.

Trying to schedule around 6 womens schedules. That in itself is a job!!

Looking at the Monarch right now.

Never cruised out of Port Canaveral? Any suggestions? Rent car from Orlando airport and drop off at port? or shuttle??

Never cruised out of Port Canaveral? Any suggestions? Rent car from Orlando airport and drop off at port? or shuttle??

Cruised Monarch last February and loved it. As far as transportation goes we flew into Orlando the night heforetye cruise and found a great deal at a Hilton Garden Inn (i think, lol i can get you the exact name if you'd like) that included port transfers. The room & transfers for the night cost us what many place wanted to charge for just the transfers. Plus flights into Orlando were a bit cheaper and had many more flight options that worked for us.

Would never choose a carnival cruise over Royal period, JMHO....K.O. Near Philly:)

I've been on a number of carnival cruises...can't say there's one ship I would avoid. The larger ships just have more features than the smaller ones. If given the choice between not cruising at all and trying something else it would be a pretty easy decision for me!

Check out Celebrity Millenium....awesome ship, crew, and ports....watch their site for the deals!!!!!

Cruised Monarch last February and loved it. As far as transportation goes we flew into Orlando the night heforetye cruise and found a great deal at a Hilton Garden Inn (i think, lol i can get you the exact name if you'd like) that included port transfers. The room & transfers for the night cost us what many place wanted to charge for just the transfers. Plus flights into Orlando were a bit cheaper and had many more flight options that worked for us.

travelgirl, would love to know where and how you found the hilton. I checked Hilton website and didn't see any hotels that mentioned port shuttle.

Orlando flights are more reasonable also. Looks like the Monarch may be a good option

travelgirl, would love to know where and how you found the hilton. I checked Hilton website and didn't see any hotels that mentioned port shuttle.

Orlando flights are more reasonable also. Looks like the Monarch may be a good option

We stayed at the Hilton garden inn Orlando airport

http://www.hiltongardeninn.com/en/gi/hotels/specials_detail_popup.jhtml?ctyhocn=ORLAHGI&promoId=137850022

They picked us up at the airport, they took us & 3 other couPles to port canaveral and picked us back up at the end and dropped us at the airport. Our rate last February was $140+tax I think it worked out to be about $160 total for the two of us. I didn't think that that price was too bad. We looked around at independent transfers and that alone was going to run us from $100+ anyhow and this way we had a nice room to sleep in also.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

We've traveled both cruise lines. My preference is RC, because of the layout and amenities/entertainment on the ship.

If you're going for a girlfriend getaway, the most important thing will be relaxing with your friends. Go with carnival and save some money. You'll still have a great time. Just lower your expectations for the "wow factor."

We've found between thanksgiving and Christmas is the cheapest time to take a land or sea vacation. Perhaps change your date for 2013.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.432689,-79.873561

While I prefer Royal (I am D+) I have also taken many Carnival cruises (22). I would avoid the Fantasy class ships (Fantasy, Ecstasy, Elation, Fascination, Imagination, Inspiration, Paradise, and Sensation) which eliminates most of the 3 and 4 day cruises. The Spirit class (Spirit, Miracle, Legend, and Pride) in my opinion are the best ships Carnival has very similar to the Radiance class for RCCL. All the other ships are OK with Valor being one of my Favorite Conquest class ships with good deals on 7 day cruises. If you are looking for a 4 day cruise the Destiny is $289 on April 12th to Key West and Cozumel.

We have done 9 Royal cruises and last year we tried the Carnival Miracle. Had a great time. The differences between the 2 lines are

greatly exaggerated by some posters.

We're dimond on royal but have cruised serveral lines including Carnival Have to say that of all I would never go on Miracle again

I've never cruised carnival but if i do, i'd pick the magic or dream, just because i like bigger ships and there's more to do, but they might be expensive and maybe 7 days

Hello Fellow Buckeye -

Last month we stayed at the Cape Canaveral Country Inn & Suites pre-cruise. It was about $120 a night with AAA discount which included a pretty good continental breakfast. Nice hotel with plenty of restaurants within walking distance for dinner too. For a few bucks per person they offer shuttle to the cruise pier.

http://www.countryinns.com/webExtra.do?hotelCode=FLCAPE

To get from Orlando Airport to the hotel pre cruise and then from cruise pier back to airport post cruise we booked Travelynx. I used them for both of my Port Canaveral cruises and was very happy with them. Cost was $25 per person each way. Have a GREAT cruise!

http://www.travelynx.net/

Archived