Help with prinsendam cabins

NoWhiners

Hi all

has anyone been in any of the Prisendam Interior cabins? Which would be the biggest we could get? I read that they all have 2 single beds that can't be pushed together and I'm wondering if that is because these cabins are extra small or have weird shapes? Anyone have any thoughts on getting an OV rather than an interior (even if just so we can have a double bed!!) on this particular ship?

We are thinking of taking an October 2013 cruise around the Black Sea on this ship--has anyone done this and what was it like?

We have been on 3 HAL cruises in the past but I know this ship is much smaller and has other unique things, so anyone who has any info to share, I'm listening!

I am off to the Reviews board to see what I can find out but thought I would post for any help.

Thanks

ML

I'm not as familiar with all the cabins on this ship as I am with others, but I have some information that might help.

On my first Prinsendam cruise I stayed in the only single inside, down on Dolphin Deck, and I visited in a double inside a few cabins down. Both cabins were the same size, as were all the others along that passageway.

The beds are placed in an "L" shape as there isn't room to put them together. Check that, the passengers I visited did put the beds together. When they did, they left a teeny-tiny area on both sides, as well as at the foot. There was no place for the table and chair, so they were constantly tripping over, and moving, furniture to get by.

With the beds in that "L" shape, there still isn't too much room for the table and chair. It's small!

I also visited in an outside across the passageway. Very nice size. Still smaller than an outside on the S- & R-class ships, but comfortable. The sofa and table are by the window. The bath and walk-in closet buffer the outside passageway. There's room to walk around when another person is in the cabin.

The inside cabins on the Prinsendam are only 128 square feet compared to the OV cabins which are 168 square feet. I don't knoe about the verandahs.

We have been quite happy on OV midship on Dolphin deck. We have been there for three cruises and have three more lined up over the next 14 months. On the other hand, we know a couple who took the Grand SA followed by the Grand Med in an inside [#509, actually]; that's a bit over 3 months in a shoebox, but they were quite happy.

I'm not as familiar with all the cabins on this ship as I am with others, but I have some information that might help.

On my first Prinsendam cruise I stayed in the only single inside, down on Dolphin Deck, and I visited in a double inside a few cabins down. Both cabins were the same size, as were all the others along that passageway.

The beds are placed in an "L" shape as there isn't room to put them together. Check that, the passengers I visited did put the beds together. When they did, they left a teeny-tiny area on both sides, as well as at the foot. There was no place for the table and chair, so they were constantly tripping over, and moving, furniture to get by.

With the beds in that "L" shape, there still isn't too much room for the table and chair. It's small!

I also visited in an outside across the passageway. Very nice size. Still smaller than an outside on the S- & R-class ships, but comfortable. The sofa and table are by the window. The bath and walk-in closet buffer the outside passageway. There's room to walk around when another person is in the cabin.

Hi Ruth

I was hoping the 'Queen of the Interiors' would have some info! Thanks--this is exactly what I was looking for. Now for a bonus question--what did you think of the food? I have read some reviews that are all over the place. Not that this would prevent us from going, but nice to know what to expect.

The inside cabins on the Prinsendam are only 128 square feet compared to the OV cabins which are 168 square feet. I don't knoe about the verandahs.

We have been quite happy on OV midship on Dolphin deck. We have been there for three cruises and have three more lined up over the next 14 months. On the other hand, we know a couple who took the Grand SA followed by the Grand Med in an inside [#509, actually]; that's a bit over 3 months in a shoebox, but they were quite happy.

Hi bra1nchild

Thank you for your info too. I think we may spend the extra money and book an OV. can you tell me how far in advance you book each cruise? I am thinking that since the ship is so small and the destinations can be unique, the ship may fill up quickly--any thoughts?

ML

We tend to be anal about booking cruises. As a result, we frequently book a year or more in advance; this assures us that we can get the cabin we want. We also specify "no upgrades" for the same reason -- we had our favorite sold out from under us when we got a upgrade to what we thought was a less desirable cabin.

Our upcoming Amazon cruise was booked on board the Prinsendam in April, as was the 2013 Grand Med. The extra 2 weeks we are tacking onto the Amazon were added during a cruise on the Westerdam at Christmas. As I said, we book very early. We may miss some "deals," but we get what we want.

As for the food, we always enjoy the meals in the MDR. We don't particularly like the Pinnacle for dinner although the lunches are good. Perhaps because we choose fixed dining, the wait staff looks out for us [and their tips] by making sure everything is top-notch.

I hope this helps.

Dave

I haven't seen one in person, but you might consider one of the category I inside cabins on Promenade deck. Those *might* have beds that can be put together into a queen size, but I am not sure. But, this location is over the dining room and propellers, and below the aft pool. So, not an ideal location. These are the newly (well, in 2009 or 2010, I think) added cabins during the last major refit of the Prinsendam.

This is a small ship by HAL standards and easier (in general) to get around. There is a Java bar instead of an Exploration's Lounge coffee bar. The dining room is only 1 level, and is split into one larger and one smaller room. The Lido restaurant is quite compact and a bit harder to get around. The main pool does not have a movable cover like other HAL ships.

But, she has her own personality from size and having fewer passengers. Boarding and disembarkation is easier. You are more likely to see the same people around from day to day. She still has the same basic features of other HAL ships including a Crow's Nest and movie theater. The OV cabins are comfortable and have a good amount of storage space.

Good luck with your decision and your eventual trip!

Hi Ruth

I was hoping the 'Queen of the Interiors' would have some info! Thanks--this is exactly what I was looking for. Now for a bonus question--what did you think of the food? I have read some reviews that are all over the place. Not that this would prevent us from going, but nice to know what to expect.

Hi bra1nchild

Thank you for your info too. I think we may spend the extra money and book an OV. can you tell me how far in advance you book each cruise? I am thinking that since the ship is so small and the destinations can be unique, the ship may fill up quickly--any thoughts?

ML

We just got off the Prinsendam in November. The Pinnacle Grill was the BEST we ever had. If Daniel is the manager you are in for a treat. MDR food was quite good (except for deserts - but that might have been me).

The offerings seemed to be different than the other ships and i would say that some of the food was better quality (ie. the lobster).

Service is a big thing on this ship. It doesn't matter what you ask for in your cabin, there is a follow up call to make sure you not only got it, but you were happy with it!.

People in the OV's were very happy with them. There is a little hall that leads down so it really cuts down on noise.

The ship can fill up quickly most time. We have already booked our May 2013 cruise on her :D

Hi Ruth

Food is at least as good as on the other HAL ships, frequently better. There are little touches that make a meal special. For example, it was on the Prinsendam that HAL served Yorkshire pudding with the prime rib.

The food in the Lido is cooked to order, at least at breakfast. Takes a little longer that way, but the food is totally fresh for you and done as you want that way.

Whatever your choice might be, I would suggest that you avoid any lower cabins that are aft of the rear elevators. That area is subject to annoying vibrations from the props and engines. The staff refers to that area as the "vibration zone" and sadly many of them are housed there. We were in 391 and never had a problem waking in the morning especially when the ship slowed approaching a port. I think the problem extends to the higher decks but not as extreme.

We've found the food better on the Prinsendam. It is particularly nice that they pick up fresh, local food in ports - such as fish in Iceland and Norway.

The outside cabins are, for us, the nicest in the fleet. We love that one can select cabins with shower stalls or tub/shower combos. As we aren't smokers, we gave up on verandah cabins years ago. In order to get a shower stall on other HAL ships, we now book inside cabins. Being able to get an outside on the Prinsendam is a treat.

Having the sofa near the large window means you can look out while sitting there. None of this having to crawl on the bed to get the best view out the window. The walk-in closet with drawers meant all our clothes were right there while getting dressed. This was particularly nice if one of us was still sleeping.

All in all, our favorite ship.

Wow, thanks everyone for all the info and insight. I think we will book an OV and see if we can get a cabin fore of the elevators (thanks for the vibration tip Max2003).

If anyone else out there has any more observations to add, bring them on. I would love to hear more, especially if anyone has done the Black Sea cruise (I read a couple of recent reviews on this cruise on the reviews board--I think kazu did one?)

bra!child--thanks for explaining how you book. I am going to look online and see if i can find any good deals and maybe book by the end of the week.

thanks all--I knew you guys would have good info!!

ML

Wow, thanks everyone for all the info and insight. I think we will book an OV and see if we can get a cabin fore of the elevators (thanks for the vibration tip Max2003).

If anyone else out there has any more observations to add, bring them on. I would love to hear more, especially if anyone has done the Black Sea cruise (I read a couple of recent reviews on this cruise on the reviews board--I think kazu did one?)

bra!child--thanks for explaining how you book. I am going to look online and see if i can find any good deals and maybe book by the end of the week.

thanks all--I knew you guys would have good info!!

ML

We didn't do the Black Sea cruise last year - sorry! Ours was Med, Canaries and transatlantic - one other thing I would add - the ingenuity of the captain - when we couldn't do one port because of weather - he announced it prompty (no wondering) and immediately told us we were going to the next port and he had arranged to overnight there. There were no additional port fees charged:D

the OV cabins are nice - check your deck plan carefully. a lot of them have WALK IN closets - not all, so you really need to look :) Also, some may not have a tub, so if that is important, check your deck plan. On this ship I would be prone to book a specific cabin if at all possible :)

A nice ship which more than met my expectations (as you can see from my signature). This ship also has absolutely fantastic itineraries IMHO:)

I hope you like her as much as we did

kazu

I did look at your signature--nice to see that a seasoned cruiser likes Prinsendam enough to keep going back!

Thanks for all your help

ML

Aside from her fantastic itineraries, we really loved the ship :) I'm a fan of others as well, but so far this has to our favourite (especially dh's):)

ask away if we can help with anything else - I certainly did before I went on her and thanks to other cc'ers, we came prepared and had a fantastic cabin and a fantastic time. smooth sailing :)

We also like the OV's on Dolphin deck. They are very spacious and the bed is not under the window, like on many ships.

Make sure you go further to the front than 463. There was still a lot of vibration in that area.

I love this ship.

I have been one of the outside 'single' cabins and the verandah. The OV are just as nice as the verandah. The inside are very small, except the inside on 8th deck aft. The aft cabins were described, by one CC'r, as a mobile home welded to the back. They are not well insulated and I was told pax could hear discussions in the hallway.

If Gil is still in the Crow's Nest, he'll remember your name AND your drink.

Miriam

Hi all

has anyone been in any of the Prisendam Interior cabins? Which would be the biggest we could get? I read that they all have 2 single beds that can't be pushed together and I'm wondering if that is because these cabins are extra small or have weird shapes? Anyone have any thoughts on getting an OV rather than an interior (even if just so we can have a double bed!!) on this particular ship?

We are thinking of taking an October 2013 cruise around the Black Sea on this ship--has anyone done this and what was it like?

We have been on 3 HAL cruises in the past but I know this ship is much smaller and has other unique things, so anyone who has any info to share, I'm listening!

I am off to the Reviews board to see what I can find out but thought I would post for any help.

Thanks

ML

We stayed 22 days in the single room on Dolpin deck room 511 Lots of storage to hang cloths suitcases can go under bed Yes the beds are in a "L" shape walk around space is small but really all we used the room for was to sleep and get dressed the rest of the time we were on deck

Whatever your choice might be, I would suggest that you avoid any lower cabins that are aft of the rear elevators. That area is subject to annoying vibrations from the props and engines. The staff refers to that area as the "vibration zone" and sadly many of them are housed there. We were in 391 and never had a problem waking in the morning especially when the ship slowed approaching a port. I think the problem extends to the higher decks but not as extreme.

Thanks for your response. I had also read that somewhere else, too. We did book today and have an OV toward the bow on the main deck. Think we will be happier being more forward.

Thanks for your response. I had also read that somewhere else, too. We did book today and have an OV toward the bow on the main deck. Think we will be happier being more forward.

Hi goodroe-

I think we will book a cabin this week. If you don't mind sharing, which cabin did you book? We are now also thinking of an OV toward bow.

Thanks to everyone--this has been very useful!

ML

PS: I am trying to recruit family and friends to come along with us too!

Not to turn this into a Roll Call but we are booked in an I cabin 187 for this cruise. Any comments on these cabins?

I would really splurge for an outside - the insides are quite small. Location is ok though - not aft:)

I would really splurge for an outside - the insides are quite small. Location is ok though - not aft:)

We are like RuthC, we rarely do an outside cabin (on a TA we will). Of the twelve days only one sea day so I would feel like I wasted my money. We are used to small and dark (well maybe not this small) but we are also used to three in a cabin but this cruise will be without DD who will be a freshmen in college by then :o.

By the way, I did start a roll call if those of you on this cruise want to join up.

KirkNc

We will definitely be on this cruise and will join the roll call. Can you tell me if you purchased trip insurance (and maybe if you got it through your TA or elsewhere?)

ML

Anyone else have thoughts/experience with trip insurance for Black Sea cruise? Seems like a good idea but if I book thru our usual place, we have to buy insurance within 7 days of booking to get pre-existing conditions covered (even tho' we don't have any, i don't want to give them a loophole to wiggle through).

BTW--is there a Canaletto on Prinsendam? Just curious not a showstopper!

kazu--any thoughts?

BTW--is there a Canaletto on Prinsendam? Just curious not a showstopper!

No, the Prinsendam is the only HAL ship without a Canaletto. There really isn't a good place for one that could be set off from the rest of the Lido.

Perhaps the very aft area of the Lido, down the ramp/stairs, would work, but that area is also broken up by the exits to the aft outdoor deck. There don't seem to be enough tables of varying sizes.

Archived