Too Dressy for Elegant Night?

GradUT

I will be doing a 4-night cruise out of Galveston next month, my second cruise out of Galveston on Carnival. On the previous cruise, things were pretty casual and I expect it will be the same this time. I rather enjoy a casual atmosphere and on the previous cruise I wore a nice, but short, dress to elegant night.

Last year I had to go to a formal event and wore this fabulous gown which I really love. I can't imagine when I will ever have a chance to wear it again, so I thought it might work for elegant night on this upcoming cruise.

For those that have recently cruised out of Galveston on the Triumph, would I be obviously out-of-place in a formal gown? (BTW, I will be traveling with two of my sisters who will likely be in short, cocktail type dresses.)

Please be honest. I have a perfectly fine short dress for elegant night if you think that's a better choice. I can always wear the gown at home when I'm vaccuuming! :D

Two years ago, I saw this very well dressed couple on elegant nioght, she was wearing a beautiful long pink evening gown, and she was the prettiest person on the ship-the question isn't whether you think it would be too dressy-but do you want to be the most gorgeious person on the ship? Go for it!

Was on the Triumph earlier this month. Anything goes! Saw a few gowns and tuxes and they were so awesome looking! I also saw some folks that were dressed to the nines on non-elegant nights. They had the promenade photographers all to themselves! If you love it, wear it! Compliments will flow...

On the opposite end of the scale, I am amazed how many people show up on elegant night in jeans and a shirt. Why do they even post guidelines? I am not any kind of a fancy person, but on elegant night, I put on a suit and tie, and I like to show off my beautiful wife, then some guy shows up with a ball cap. Nothing wrong with that except he needs to go to the lido deck for dinner.

Yes, WEAR IT, You will feel great. I always wear a sequined or beaded short or long dress on any length cruise. My husband always wears a tux. I feel great and the compliments keep flowing. Even passing officers compliment us. And we are in our 80's. WEAR IT and have the time of your life.

I say go for it!!! I know I love seeing people dressed nicely. I am wearing a nice green taffeta dress and plan on having my hair syled in a nice Grace Kelly style and go for the retro glam look. I know in the past my mom has worn a number of formal dresses, like the one she wore when I was married. She figured it would be a great opportunity to wear a nice dress in another "formal" setting. It seems that so rearely these days do we have an opportunity to really dress up (at least in my small town). This is a picture of the dress I am wearing on one of our elegant nights (although with much different shoes...I hate the ones she has on!:

460793?$ibm_large$

I'd love to see pictures of what other dresses people will be wearing...

Two years ago, I saw this very well dressed couple on elegant nioght, she was wearing a beautiful long pink evening gown, and she was the prettiest person on the ship-the question isn't whether you think it would be too dressy-but do you want to be the most gorgeous person on the ship? Go for it!

Well said. If people can wear bathrobes in the buffet lines, certainly you can wear a gorgeous gown on elegant night. :)

Archived