Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

I kept wondering why the La Stampa's feed was called Web car.

Details here: http://www.lastampa.it/medialab/webcar/cosa

Google translate:

Introducing the new La Stampa Web Car, a mobile editorial for live coverage and interviews by video streaming from anywhere in the area, local, national and - why not - Europe.

La Stampa newspaper is the first in Europe to be fitted by a web car today, which becomes part of the project MediaLab for innovation in journalism.

Thanks to a partnership with the global satellite operator Eutelsat, which has set up a 500L provision of La Stampa by Fiat, journalists can follow any event to tell about it "live" with the satellite dish, will always have the wifi , a high-definition camcorder connected live via satellite, a mobile direction, and much more.

The mobile Internet will allow La Stampa to be on the news in real time and let you see what is happening live, as well as let you listen to the witnesses on the spot: whether it's a football game or an event, an earthquake or a flood, a traffic jam or a country fair, a trade show or ... "red carpet" such as the Venice Biennale, which hosts the first car the web.

Readers in the UK or Europe may find it interesting that this is the very sat 'broadband' uplink technology sold up and down the country in the UK and Europe. It allows them to stream a web feed with uplink speeds of up to 6 MBit/s. Pretty good for a mobile device from a car! With the earth station of this Ka-band satellite being based in Italy anyway, an obvious choice.

CC has come full circle from the port where she was built to the port where she will be taken apart. Kind of sad in a way. :(

Sad for the ship, tragic for the people who died and their families. All for the vainity and stupidity of one man.

Various CC stories on the Daily Mail website including the Captain at a posh party while his ship was being taken away to the breakers yard:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?sel=site&searchPhrase=costa+concordia

So hope the final remains are found.

Has the judge released the ship for actual dismantling. I remember when he okayed the movement to Geneo, he withheld from giving them permission of the actual dismantling.

I have come to the realization that everything in Italy seems to be taken on a step by step basis.

I would also expect Schettino's lawyers will argue that it is evidence in his trial and he is still trying to blame the ship. ;)

On the flip side I have read that the trial can go to mid/late 2015, if not into 2016. That's far too long to let the ship sit as she is.

I believe a decision to start will come soon.

She was flying flags and received a fire boat salute upon leaving Giglio...so eerie to see some of her interior lights on. Almost like she was put on life support to be given a last dignified farewell.

Those aren't the original ships lights. They have installed a lot of extra stuff on the wreck, including lights and generators. As far as the ship is concerned now, it is cold and dead. None of that stuff will work again.

I made it through the whole thing! Even got a few loads of laundry done. :D

Snuz, I don't recall what this project started out at but I do know the insurance companies involved were quite upset with where the costs went.

In that same vain, are the insurance companies finished now that Concordia has been removed and delivered?

We've probably discussed that but I don't remember. :o

DM, nice screen captures.

It would be interesting to see if they ever report on the true cost and if Titan actually made money or lost some. I am sensing it went way beyond what they first indicated it would cost. Who knows if the actual estimate even factored in towing and the other tugs involved. Probably more money than I would ever make in a life time.

Those aren't the original ships lights. They have installed a lot of extra stuff on the wreck, including lights and generators. As far as the ship is concerned now, it is cold and dead. None of that stuff will work again.

Actually they did energize parts of the ship judging from some pictures I have seen during the entire project. Many of the exterior lights were actually the original lights of the ship. And in the last few days with the deluge of interior pictures of areas that became dry after refloating I spotted a few where the original light fixtures (in areas that were never flooded) were on. I specifically remember a hallway that had lights with green shades on them that were in use.

I want to thank all those fellow forum members that thanks to their time zone cold watch this thing entirely and posted all those screen shots. I watched until about 3 AM (my local time) and the ship had not yet arrived to port. I could not stand it anymore and went to sleep. Then around 6:30 AM I got up briefly to see progress and it was about to enter port. After that I got up late and missed everything else so the screen shots at least let me see what happened.

This has been one of the largest

if not The Largest marine-engineering feats of all time, I reckon.

* Securing her so she didn't slip down-slope any further.

* Building the cradle under her, etc.

* Getting her upright.

* Getting her to float freely on her own

* Getting her out of Giglio and safely (without incident!) to Genoa.

WELL DONE, the entire engineering team who accomplished this!

They are now written into marine engineering history

and they well deserve that. ;)

Edited by Aplmac

This has been one of the largest

if not The Largest marine-engineering feats of all time, I reckon.

* Securing her so she didn't slip down-slope any further.

* Building the cradle under her, etc.

* Getting her upright.

* Getting her to float freely on her own

* Getting her out of Giglio and safely (without incident!) to Genoa.

WELL DONE, the entire engineering team who accomplished this!

They are now written into marine engineering history

and they well deserve that. ;)

Being witness to such a big undertaking, even if remotely, has been awesome and such a learning experience. Just makes me wonder... what's next on you know who's mind. Not a single prediction he made came true:

* Ship would split apart during parbuckling.... it didn't

* Forward section had cracks in the hull and would fall at any moment... it didn't

* How would they put sponsons underwater... they did somehow

* It would be impossible to attach sponsons to the crushed starboard side... they did

* Sponsons were being put too high to provide bouyancy... sure enough, but they were lowered later DUH!

* Double bottom and starboard bilge plates damaged during parbuckling would not hold after refloat... they did

* The ship would break apart during towing... it didn't

* They were going to resink the ship 300 meters off the coast of Giglio... they didn't

Being witness to such a big undertaking, even if remotely, has been awesome and such a learning experience. Just makes me wonder... what's next on you know who's mind. Not a single prediction he made came true:

* Forward section had cracks in the hull and would fall at any moment... it didn't

* It would be impossible to attach sponsons to the crushed starboard side... they did

* Sponsons were being put too high to provide bouyancy... sure enough, but they were lowered later DUH!

* Double bottom and starboard bilge plates damaged during parbuckling would not hold after refloat... they did

* They were going to resink the ship 300 meters off the coast of Giglio... they didn't

Great synopsis !!! The naysayers only need one failure so they can say "I told you so"

I am happy they didn't get the opportunity to be right !!!!!

I don't know if anyone ever looked at some of his other non-Concordia beliefs but here are a few from his website:

Re:911

-Airplanes could not cause buildings to collapse.

-The upper floors of a building cannot cause the lower floors to collapse no matter how high you drop them from.

-The fires in the building could not burn hot enought to weaken the structure

Re: Man visiting the moon

-It is not possible for a rocket to carry enough fuel to leave earth orbit.

Re: Atomic bombs

-Atomic bombs are physically impossible. No atomic explosion has ever occured.

His answer to any evidence that these things happened is that it is all faked and he will give you $1,000,000 if you can prove that any did happen. The only problen is that even though he claims to be a structural engineer, his mathematics are just bizarre and if you show him accurate math to prove your point he just tels you that you are wrong.

This is one time I wish we did have a "Like" button on this site.