Favorite dishes in Tamarind

maureenk

So I've seen the menu and the Tamarind looks and sounds amazing! Our family LOVES this type of food. I've searched for specific dish recommendations and the only item that comes up is the wasabi-crusted tenderloin. The pictures of it look absolutely wonderful! Any other specific recommendations for any of the courses? I have 2 dinner reservations there and there are 4 of us, so we can try lots of different dishes. Thanks in advance!!!

Tamarind - $15 per person

When you sit down at the table, a couple of servers will come to the table -- one will pour Jasmine tea while the other one gives you a HOT towel to cleanse your hands. Then you are given your menu. There are already 4 small sauce bowls on the table -- there is a soy sauce; a sweet-sour sauce; a garlic-chili pepper sauce; and a Japanese horseradish sauce (very hot). You are brought a basket of Shrimp Crackers.

SOUP:

Yin-Yang Scallop Consomme’ - tender sea scallops & julienne cut squash in a ginger infused shellfish broth sprinkled with minced scallions Love it

Jewels of the Sea - delicate shrimp filled won ton with sliced baby bok choy in a fragrant lemongrass & sesame broth Really our favorite

Chicken Pho with Wild Lime & Rice Stick noodles - shredded chicken & rice noodles in a coconut milk broth flavored with lime leaf, cilantro, galangal, mint, bean sprouts & Serrano chilies

Appetizers:

Trail of Spices Satay Sampler - Malaysian-spiced lamb, Chinese pork, Thai -spiced beef, Indonesian-spiced chicken & Vietnamese-spiced shrimp served with Asian pickled vegetables & 2 traditional dipping sauces DH likes this one

Shrimp Tempura Indochina - sweet, fresh shrimp dipped in a light batter & fried and served with a tart-and-sweet green papaya salad & garlic chili sauce My favorite

Shanghai Ribs - five-spiced rubbed baby-back pork ribs, served over a Chinese pickled cabbage salad with a Tamarind chutney

Streetside Pot Stckers - succulent lobster, pork and chicken dumplimngs, shallow-fried till crispy on the bottom and served with a vinegar-soy ponzu dipping sauce yummy

Spring Roll Delights - a trio of spring rolls: crispy duck, vegetable and a rice paper wrapped lobster roll, served with plum and sweet chili sauces love these

Thai Beef Salad - rare-seared beef, tossed with scallions, tomatoes, onions and cucumbers -- presented on salad greens and sprinkled with fresh mint, chilies and a lime-leaf dressing

Green Papaya Salad - freshly shredded raw vegetables and spinach, tomato, water chestnuts and papaya tossed with lime juice & palm sugar

Sushi & Sashimi Menu

YOUR CHOICE OF 6 ITEMS AS AN APPETIZER OR 12 AS AN ENTRÉE

Sashimi - tuna, salmon, snapper. Octopus

Nigiri Sushi - tuna, salmon, snapper, Octopus

Sushi Rolls:

Rainbow (reversed California roll topped with an assortment of fish)

California - crab and avocado

Salmon Tsutsumi - salmon, avocado, cream cheese

Tuna Tsutsumi - vegetable roll topped with tuna slices

Yozo - snapper, masago, asparagus, Japanese mayonnaise

Yoshi - tempura snapper, avocado, scallion, Japanese mayonnaise

Wraps - Indonesian vegetable, seafood, lettuce, chicken

Entrees:

Water:

Hoisin-Lime Glazed Sea Bass - Golden pan-seared fish crowned with crisp wok-seared Asian greens very good

Asia-Pacific Hot Pot - A one-pot surprise consisting of shrimp, scallops, Manila clams, rock fish, crab legs, squid, scallions, shallots, garlic, lemon grass and coriander leaves all braised in a flavorful stock

Baked Snapper in Rice Paper - Snapper marinated in a sake and citrus liquor, then golden baked and served atop ginger and garlic steamed Asian greens very good

Wood:

Wasabi & Soy Crusted Beef Tenderloin Steak - Served on an oak wood cedar plank and complimented with tempura-style onion rings and vegetables

my favorite

Scallops & Prawns with Garlic, Ginger and Chili - steamed to perfection and presented in a bamboo basket and drizzled with a light soy sauce very good

Cantonese Duck & Hainan Rice - roasted, served on a bed chicken borth infused rice and garnished with flakes of fresh chili and cilantro

Fire:

Shrimp Szechuan with Thai Basil - Shrimp sauteed with chili peppers, Asian spices, straw mushrooms, sweet bell peppers and scallions glazed in a light chili sauce Dh loves this

Penang Red Curry Coconut Chicken - A mild spicy dish consisting of chicken cubes braised with Chinese pea pods, eggplant, green zucchini, red pimiento, opal basil, lemon grass and lime juice - presented in a bath of red curry and coconut milk

Vietnamese-Style Lamb with Mint - Thinly sliced lamb loin quickly sautéed with bell peppers, shiitake mushrooms, fresh spinach leaves, minced garlic and scallions

Earth:

Five-spice Seitan & Tempeh - quickly seared with thinly sliced red bell pepper, enoki mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli, scallions, garlic, ginger and soy sauce - served with lime wedges Another favorite of DH

Sesame Udon Noodles - flat Japanese wheat noodles, stir-fried with tofu, scallions, vegetables, sesame oil and chilies, and sprinkled with toasted peanuts and sesame oil

Sweet and Sour Vegetable Tempura - asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms, green beans, and carrots dipped in a light batter and fried - garnished with fruits and served with Tamarind glaze

On The Side:

Steamed seasonal garden vegetables with red miso garlic sauce

Steamed Jasmine rice OR Brown rice

Stir-fried cucumber, snow peas, mushrooms, scallions and chili with sesame seeds

Bok Choy with oyster sauce great

Sake-braised oyster and ****ake mushrooms

Desserts:

Tamarind Chocolate - a bittersweet chocolate shell filled with a rich Tamarind & chili flavored chocolate and ginger mousse served with a red raspberry and black raspberry compote Chcolate is my weakness -- so good

Mango Cloud - a light egg white souffle served with a mango sorbet DH's favorite

Tempura Ice Cream - coconut & Javanese coffee with infused lemon grass sauce anglaise

Chocolate Almond Fortunw Cookie -- an almond baked tuile with a surprise filling of chocolate panache -- served with a scoop of coconut ice cream Another favorite

Ginger Banana Bread Pudding - with tempura bananas and caramel sauce

Trio of Sorbets - passion fruit basil, lychee green tea and cube with shaved fruit juices DH loves this

So I've seen the menu and the Tamarind looks and sounds amazing! Our family LOVES this type of food. I've searched for specific dish recommendations and the only item that comes up is the wasabi-crusted tenderloin. The pictures of it look absolutely wonderful! Any other specific recommendations for any of the courses? I have 2 dinner reservations there and there are 4 of us, so we can try lots of different dishes. Thanks in advance!!!

The Ribs are excellent, as well as the Tenderloin.

Tamarind is my favorite "pay" restaurant on any ship!

Tamarind - $15 per person

Desserts:

TamarindChocolate - a bittersweet chocolate shell filled with a rich Tamarind & chili flavored chocolate and ginger mousse served with a red raspberry and black raspberry compote Chcolate is my weakness -- so good

Mango Cloud - a light egg white souffle served with a mango sorbet DH's favorite

Tempura Ice Cream - coconut & Javanese coffee with infused lemon grass sauce anglaise

Chocolate Almond Fortunw Cookie -- an almond baked tuile with a surprise filling of chocolate panache -- served with a scoop of coconut ice cream Another favorite

Ginger Banana Bread Pudding - with tempura bananas and caramel sauce

Trio of Sorbets - passion fruit basil, lychee green tea and cube with shaved fruit juices DH loves this

I love the mousse and I'm a chocolate fan too. Generally I don't care for mousse but that one is to die for. I liked the fortune cookie but it was HUGE. I had to take half "home" and that's unusual for me.

I'll be sailing Sunday (YEAH) and have reservations for Tamarind. Thank you so much for the menu and recommendations!

I'm also interested in having lunch at Tamarind one day and have questions. What's the menu like for lunch and are they only open during "at sea" days?

We ate there twice last week on eurodam, and ate with four other people one of those times, so we saw and tried most of the menu items. Truthfully, everything is very good. The wasabi-encrusted filet and the duck were my favorites. The potstickers, spring rolls and ribs were outstanding as well. The sushi, rolls and nigiri were fresh and wonderful.

For dessert, I can speak highly to the chocolate/ginger mousse, the fortune cookie, and the trio of ice creams.... the wasabi sorbet was amazing!

We (party of 3) dined at Tamarind aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam and all had someting different...everything was delicious! I believe Tamarind is open every night. Don't forget to meet for drinks before dinner at the Silk Den--right across from Tamarind and absolutely beautiful!!

HAL, MS Ryndam, April 2010

HAL, MS Nieuw Amsterdam, Dec. 2010

HAL, MS Veendam, July 2011

RCI, Allure of the Seas, Dec. 2011

HAL, MS Oosterdam, June 2012

Thanks for the great recommendations! Anyone try the seafood hotpot?

Lunch is a fixed menu. Let me see if I have any success copying a link that has a photo of the menu along with a photo of the lunch items. Here goes:

http://sailing.smugmug.com/Eurodam-March2011/MenusFood/16257531_L36X27#!i=1224126797&k=tsdhL

There are 16 pages of pictures in the attached posting. The Tamarind lunch menu is on page 5 of 16 and pictures of the food follow on page 6. Hope the link works!

We had 4 dinners in Tamarind on a recent 7-night Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. All together I've eaten in Tamarind around 10 times -- it's my favorite restaurant on HAL.

For appetizers, my favorites are the satay sampler, the spring roll delights, and the yoshi sushi rolls.

For entrees, my #1 favorite is the wasabi and soy crusted beef tenderloin. (I wish I were having that for dinner tonight instead of a roast chicken from Price Chopper.) Other favorites are penang red curry coconut chicken and the vietnamese-style lamb.

And for dessert? The mango cloud, definitely. Pure heaven. :)

I'll be sailing Sunday (YEAH) and have reservations for Tamarind. Thank you so much for the menu and recommendations!

I'm also interested in having lunch at Tamarind one day and have questions. What's the menu like for lunch and are they only open during "at sea" days?

On our Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam cruises the Tamarind was open for lunch every day.

Now that could change as someone may book the Tamarind for a special lunch.

Lunch in the Tamarind is free - but it is fixed course (unless you have allergies). In retrospect, we should have lied and said we could only eat certain things. It was ok, but for me, lunch in the Pinnacle was better.

dinner there (yes, you pay) is worth every dime IMO. We all selected different things (table of 4) and no one left unhappy:):)

We were disappointed in the Tamarind lunch -- very little food as we did not get everything that was listed on the menu.

Hot and Sour Soup

Asian Herb Szechuan Sesame Salad

Steamed Classic Dumplings:

Chicken

Asian Pork

Steam Vegetable

Spinach and Mushroom didn't get

Shrimp 'Shu Mat' didn't get

From the Wok:

Vegetable Spring Roll

Spicy Crab Sushi Nugget didn't get

Shrimp Won Ton Sticks didn't get

Shrimp Spring Roll

Spicy Crab Rangoon

Holland America Line Culinary Fusion Sauces:

Bora Bora BBQ - tomato, ginger, aged vinegar, soy sauce

Mirin Pesto - sweet wine, soy, fresh basil, garlic, lemon grass

Coco Churri - coconut, cilantro, chili, lime

Shoyu Sabi - classic flavors of soy and wasabi

Choice of One Dessert:

Mango Sirbet

Coconut Ice Cream

Egg Tart

Green Tea Tiramisu

We basically got only the soup (1/2 bowl), a tiny salad, 6 small dumplings and dessert. DH went away hungry.

Lunch in the Tamarind is free - but it is fixed course (unless you have allergies). In retrospect, we should have lied and said we could only eat certain things. It was ok, but for me, lunch in the Pinnacle was better.

dinner there (yes, you pay) is worth every dime IMO. We all selected different things (table of 4) and no one left unhappy:):)

Agree, I think the Pinnacle is better for lunch. The Tamarind lunch is so so.

The Tamarind has some great choices for vegetarians. They also made minor modifications - a substitute for shrimp crackers and all vegetable spring rolls rather than the 3 different ones. The five spice seitan and tempah was wonderful. J jr. enjoyed the vegetable tempura.

WOW....thanks for the menu's and for making me gain 10lbs reading it. We will be sailing away to the Eastern Caribean on the 18th of Feb and we are so looking forward to our cruise. People have been mentioning that the Pinacle is also open for lunch. Is there a fixed menu for the lunch there, and is their a charge for the lunch?

:)

Archived