How long does it really take to tender??

TxOCDMOM

Hello:)

I've never had to tender to port & have been reading numerous reviews about grand cayman. Some are saying it takes all day to get a ticket to get on a boat, ESP if you don't book excursions with carnival? Some dont even leave the ship until 2 or after?? Is this an exaggeration?

I really want to book the stingray excursion with native way water sports but am reluctant due to what I've read.

Advice please! Thanks!!

Our tender experience was less than 30 mins.....but we weren't trying to be 1st off the ship, either!

Once the morning "rush" has passed, we headed to the tender, boarded and rode to the dock....about 15 mins. in all.

Coming back, we did have to wait for the tender to load everyone...there were alot of folks waiting to go back to the ship....but, hey....what else do you have to do? You're on vacation!

It sounds like some of what you have heard (it took until 2pm to get off the ship?!!!) is an exaggeration.

There will definitely be an influx of people that will try to get off of the ship right away due to excursions or just because they are anxious to see the island.The cruiseline will more than likely the ship excursion people off first and then everyone else.

I think that if you schedule your independant excursion at least an hour after you are scheduled to arrive you should be fine.

The Grand Cayman tender process moves fairly quickly because the actual ride between the ship/pier is only about 5-10 minutes tops. It takes longer to get people on/off the tender than the actual ride itself. A part of how long it will take kind of depends on how fast your fellow passengers are moving.

The last time I went the total process was no more than 15 minutes, but we didn't go down right away.We waited about 45 minutes for that first rush of people to get off and then headed down after them.

The excursion operators also know how the whole process works so more than likely will wait if you are only a few minutes behind.

I've been to GC3 times and we have never had to wait that long. If you book your excursion through the cruise line then you should get tender tickets to get off at a certain time to meet your group and get back to the boat in enough time. The boat will no leave with people waiting in line to tender back. Although they do tell you that if the ship sets sail at 4:30 to be at the tender at 4, but they won't leave you. If you book outside of the line...which I have done this before, make sure you discuss with the place you are booking with that you have to be back to the boat at a set time. If you get to GC at 8 in the morning, getting off by 9, even if you are stuck in that crazy line waiting to get off the boat, is fair time to wait. If you can wait till 9 to make your way down to the gangway the crowd will probably have died down and you can walk right onto the tender boat. Don't fret you will be fine.

Remember, though, there can be quite a wait if you don't get your tender tickets right away. The biggest wait we have found is in stairwells waiting for your tender ticket number to be called.

Last two times we were there we didn't even get tender tickets. Just wanked down and into the tender.

Hi,

We leave on Sunday on the Carnival Magic. We went on the same cruise last year and were one of the first ones off the ship. We did not have to get a tender ticket. Is this new?

Can someone please explain where you get a tender ticket.

Thanks in advance!

Only 2 more sleeps till we cruise!

Archived