which side for tracy arm?

azseas

TOPSIDE!

In all honesty...

There really is no side that's 'best'. The ship sails into the fjord, views the glacier, the ship will pivot so that both all sides get to see it, then sails back out of the same fjord.

All the stuff you see going in, will be on the other side going out.

The fjord is narrow and there are awesome things on both sides, regardless of which side you are on you get it going either in or out if you don't move.

IMHO the best place is the bow if weather is good.

Even better is the add on excursion, but it is a long one.

the ONLY place to be is forward. :) Have a good pair of binoculars with you. There is so, much that the big ships simply miss. IF of interest, in my opinion it is "necessary" to take an add on Tracy Arm boat tour, since it is just so grossly superior to any cruiseship transit. Costly- yes, but worth it to some. :)

• 1 month later...
it doesn't matter. The ship turns around at the end of the fjord

I absolutely disagree. there is much to see the entire sailing. With binoculars and a good eye, there is a lot of wildlife possible (although most is missed with a cruise ship transit).

And what if, as in the majority of the cruiseships, it doesn't make it to the "end" (glaciers)?

On our last cruise to Alaska, (Dawn Princess) we stood at the front of the ship for HOURS. It was magnificent. We have found being up on deck is great too.

We did use our cruise balcony at times because it was protected from the wind/weather. But most of our time was spent up on deck.

• 11 months later...

I was on this cruise and my camera flash card got corrupt If you have any video or photot's of the ice and scenary I would really appriciate it. I went back last year and did not have any ice or not as much as in 2011.

thanks. Missed up trice as I walked to the glacier (Middlehall took lots of ohto's with no flash card in camera

Mary

Archived