Recipe request-Limoncello

dpump

Anyone have or know where I can get a recipe for the wonderful Limoncello dessert that is offered in the Canalanto? LOVED that stuff. In fact, sweet talked Arvee into getting two sent to our cabin one day. Holy Moley, is it good.

Anyone have or know where I can get a recipe for the wonderful Limoncello dessert that is offered in the Canalanto? LOVED that stuff. In fact, sweet talked Arvee into getting two sent to our cabin one day. Holy Moley, is it good.

If this is the same as Limoncello that is served on Princess, I saw a recipe a couple of years ago on the Princess board.

if you are talking about Limoncello the drink

• 10 lemons
  • 1 (750-ml) bottle vodka- must be 100 proof!
  • 3 1/2 cups water
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar

Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel from the lemons in long strips (reserve the lemons for another use). Using a small sharp knife, trim away the white pith from the lemon peels; discard the pith. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT ALL THE WHITE IS REMOVED OR YOU WILL HAVE BITTER RESULTS. Place the lemon peels in a 2-quart pitcher. Pour the vodka over the peels and cover with plastic wrap. Steep the lemon peels in the vodka for 30 days at room temperature in a dark room.

Stir the water and sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Cool completely. Pour the sugar syrup over the vodka mixture. Cover and let stand at room temperature for another 30 days Strain the limoncello through a mesh strainer. Discard the peels. Transfer the limoncello to bottles. Seal the bottles and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours and up to 1 month.

this is a short version of what we generally make at home once each year. We make larger batch and we use 3/4 voda to 1/4 grain alcohol as we keep the opened bottle in freezer and dont want it to freeze or get slushy.

harry

I haven't tried it, but from the description on the menu, it's probably a creme', like creme brulee', with maybe a limoncello reduction on it??

Or, maybe it's a marscapone cheese filling type creme with limoncello???

I'd bet it was a reduction, because that would leave the flavor, but heat out the alcohol.

I'm putting it on my list of things to remember come June!

I'm not going to assume, but if it helps, creme brulee is egg based like a custard, and marscapone is like the white creamy part of tiramisu.

In searching, I found this, which sounds quite interesting!!

Homemade Limoncello Cream (Phillips) Recipe

Stolen from an article by Kyle Philips on About.com's Italian food site:

This is a very nice variation on the standard Limoncello from Sorrento, which I enjoyed at a dinner in the hinterland of Verona. You'll need:

• 4 organically grown lemons
  • a quart of grain alcohol
  • a quart of milk
  • a pound of sugar
  • a pint of water:

Using a paring knife, trim the zest from the lemons, leaving the white part behind, and steep the zest in the alcohol for several days, shaking the jar daily. Combine the water, milk, and sugar and bring it to a boil 4-5 times, removing it from the burner each time it boils up. This serves to keep it from curdling subsequently.

Once the milk has boiled up for the last time, remove it from the fire and let it cool a bit. Stir in the alcohol, at which point the mixture should become thick and creamy. Let the mixture cool a little more and bottle it, pouring it through a fine wire mesh strainer into a funnel to filter out lemon zest and any large curds that might have formed. Let it sit for 3-4 days, and it's ready to serve.

When I had it in Canaletto, it reminded me of the Italian dessert called "panna cotta" (literally, cooked cream) flavored with the limoncello liqueur. Panna cotta may not be exactly what HAL prepares, but it may be close. I did a Google search for "limoncello panna cotta" and got many hits. Here are some:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/limoncelloflavouredp_11694

http://www.bellalimento.com/2010/07/07/panna-cotta-al-limoncello-limoncello-panna-cotta/

http://www.foodista.com/recipe/JMBDQZ5L/limoncello-panna-cotta-with-blueberry-glaze#

Dave

Thanks everyone-

Found a recipe that has whipping cream, the limencello and marscapone. It's topped w/a fresh berry compote. Going to try that. Went to the liquor store, a bottle of limoncello was $23.00!!! Better be good.

Thanks everyone-

Found a recipe that has whipping cream, the limencello and marscapone. It's topped w/a fresh berry compote. Going to try that. Went to the liquor store, a bottle of limoncello was $23.00!!! Better be good.

OOO! Share please!

I went and bought some limoncello yesterday after you started this thread. Talk about lemony liquid candy. :)

3/4 cup chilled whipping cream

1/2 of 8 oz container marscapone cheese (4oz.)

3 tbsp sugar plus 1/2 cup

3 Tbsp limoncello

8 cups assorted berries (raspberries,blueberries,hulled sliced strawberries)

3/4 cup raspberry preserves

1 tbsp grated lemon zest

Combine whipping cream,marscapone and limoncello in a large bowl. Beat until soft peaks form. Combine berries, raspberry preserve, lemon peel and remaining sugar in another bowl and toss gently. Divide berry mixture among 8 coupes, top w/marscapone.

NOTES:

I read all the reviews on this recipe and 99.9% rated it with 5*'s. i did pick up some good comments that I will use. Almost everyone said the 1/2 cup sugar was not needed, the berries were sweet enough. Alot of people said they used the marscapone/limoncello/whipped cream mixture as the base and just used the berry mixture as a topping. There was a comment to not overmix the marscapone/whipping cream, it will seperate. Others added a dash more of limoncello and/or lemon extract. For the serving vessel a champagne glass worked great, something pretty since the dessert is so pretty.

Most of all, all said it was light and refreshing and so good.

Let me know how this recipe is if you make it before me

If anyone finds the actual recipe we had while on the Noordam, please share!

You might want to ask on their facebook page? Some times they post recipes there for dessert...you never know!?

Thanks everyone-

Something else to do with the limoncello. I got hooked on this drink on the Zuidy in Dec. It is called "Tuscan Lemon Martini" It has Absolute Citron, Limoncello, sour mix and then a sprig of rosemary floating in it. It is served in a sugar rim martini glass.

Archived