Favorite places to eat lunch on Eclipse?

Turtles06

There's a great thread going on now about favorite places to eat breakfast on the Eclipse. As another newbie to Celebrity, I'd love to hear people's thoughts on where to eat lunch. Thanks! :)

We enjoy Bistro on Five. It is rarely crowded and has a great selection of crepes, paninis and salads. There is table service and is quite relaxing. Afterwards, you can either have a dessert crepe which is included in the same $5 charge or walk across to Cafe Bacio for a coffee and dessert or gelato. The Aqua Spa Cafe is also good and healthy but there are a very limited number of tables. On a sunny day, the Mast Grill has good burgers and hot dogs. We also enjoy the aft outdoor seating of the Oceanview Cafe for a great view. And finally, some of the specialty restaurants offer lunch for $20. As you can see, we have many favorites. It's a wonderful ship!:cool:

Hi Turtles06,

Actually having Lunch was hit or miss for us on the Solstice (January 15th Sailing)...

Somedays we'd have eaten a nice big breakfast (or the MDR Brunch... which happens once a cruise) so as to give Lunch as miss entirely.

On Port Days, we often would return to the Ship mid to late afternoon (2 to 4 pm) ... and look for something to tie us over until Dinner (in our case Traditional - Late Seating)... on those days more often than not we'd head to the Oceanview Cafe for something light (Salad... the Buffet has a wonderful assortment of changing pre-made Salads & DIY choices) after picking up our food we'd head out the the Back Deck (where the Oceanview Bar is) to take in the wonderful views and soaking up the sunshine of our Island Destinations, and often stay right up until Sail Away and Sunset... truly heaven !!

On at least one occasion we enjoyed Bistro On Five for lunch... it was a rainy day in St Maartens and we had to tender as well in rough waters... needless to say we got soaked... so after a hot shower in our cabin we were quite content to sit in the Bistro On Five and enjoy a HOT Bowl of Soup and a bite to eat, while enjoying the wonderful views that this venue offers.

Another day, we partook in the Champagne Tea in Morano's... a bit pricey... but very very fine !!

Anyhow, as you can probably tell, lots of great memories for us... of the atmosphere, food, service and our vacation no matter where we "lunched"

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Thank you all for the replies!

I'm definitely primed for Bistro on 5 (planning to have lunch there when we embark :)).

This is the first I've read that there may be meals in the specialty restaurants other than dinner. Is that often?

We'll be on a 12-day TA, with only 3 ports, so there will be plently of time to try everything, and I'm looking forward to it!

One of the things we love to do, is to make a nice salad at the buffet with a little protein and take it back to our cabin, so we can have lunch on our balcony. Really nice when we are in port - on sea days may be too windy.

I'm definitely primed for Bistro on 5 (planning to have lunch there when we embark :)).

This is the first I've read that there may be meals in the specialty restaurants other than dinner. Is that often?

We'll be on a 12-day TA, with only 3 ports, so there will be plently of time to try everything, and I'm looking forward to it!

Hi Turtles06,

The Lunches in the Specialty Restaurants are pretty much a NEW thing... and they don't happen everyday (or even on ALL cruises it would seem).

On our sailing (January 15th) on the Solstice, there were several "special" events that happened around the lunchtime over the course of the week...

They were... Murano Lunch (Day 3) - Celebrity Brunch (MDR on Day 6) - Champagne Tea (held in Muranos on Day 6) - and Tuscan Grille Lunch (Day 6)

All of these were advertised in "Celebrity Today"... BUT we also heard about them ahead of time when we did our "Walk Around" the ship while still in port on Embarkation Day in Ft. Lauderdale (Besides a wonderful time for photo ops, it is also a great time to ask Questions and make Reservations if there is something YOU REALLY WANT to do... in our case we were looking to see if there would be any of the elusive "Cooking Classes" in the Specialty Restaurants, or perhaps a Chef's Table Event... those are the really great foodie events from what I've read here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD)

As you can see there was too much to choose from on Day 6 !! (and I haven't even covered the Wine Events that were listed for that day). This is one of the things I mentioned on my Comment Cards... Food & Wine Events are great, but they really need to be more spread out across the cruise week (lol, you think they'd figure this out, as they are all extra charge items, so money-makers for them... I was happy to spend the Bucks to go to any / all of them... To be fair though we were the first sailing on a NEW Itinerary for the Solstice... and it had a lot of logistic issues to begin with when it came to port timings etc)

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

We normally had a late snack in the Oceanview Cafe as we were usually full from breakfast...loved the pasta bar, the Vietnamese meatballs and the sushi. We were pretty pleased with everything. Also loved Bistro on Five....we will make sure to dine there a little more on our next cruise. :)

Lunch at Bistro on embarkation day is what we did after reading about it from another CC'er. It was a great idea-so relaxing- and not having to contend with the crowds at the buffet. We also ate there the final sea day and it was more crowded. Like Sloop, we also had the Champagne Tea in Murano on our first port day. We didn't arrive in SJ till 3 and had early dinner plans in OSJ so the Tea was out lunch. I wish they had made it a little earlier, maybe 2 instead of 2:30 but we thought it was well worth the extra charge.

I think our advertising of Bistro on 5 on embarkation day might be backfiring. On my Solstice 12/11 cruise, luckily we got on board early, and headed right to Bistro. About halfway through our meal they were turning ppl away! I'm used to it being maybe half full on embarkation, and 1/4 full any other time.

Hi Sloop-

What would the menu be like for lunch in speciality rest, if you remember. :)

TO US TWO,

I have a copy of the Murano Lunch Menu (haven't yet located a copy of the one for Tuscan Grille... in all my paperwork)

--- --- ---

MURANO LUNCH A LA CARTE

FIRST COURSE

Choice of:

Seared Scallops

Fennel Puree, Nicoise Vinagrette

Creamy Pea and Morel Mushroom Risotto

Mascarpone Cheese, Chervil

Crab Salad

Avocado, Cilantro, Citrus Emulsion

Roasted Beet Salad

Goat Cheese, Toasted Hazelnut Vinagrette

Creamy Celery Root Soup

Carmalized Apples, Crispy Smoked Bacon

SECOND COURSE

Choice of:

Butter Poached Lobster Tail

Fricassee of Baby Vegetables, Black Truffle Emulsion

Roasted Filet Mignon

Fingerling Potatoes, Shallots, Smoked Bacon, Dijon Emulsion

Pan Seared Loup de Mer

Crispy Artichokes, Garlic Confit, Smoked Tomato Coulis, Arugula

Herb Marinated Lamb Chops

Ratatouille, Feta Cheese, Mint

DESSERTS

Choice of:

Gianduja Souffle

Donatella Gelato

Tulipe Croustillante

Frozen Yogurt, Fresh Berries

Ivory Caramel Tart

Cognac Flambeed Bananas

--- --- ---

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

TO US TWO,

I have a copy of the Murano Lunch Menu (haven't yet located a copy of the one for Tuscan Grille... in all my paperwork)

--- --- ---

MURANO LUNCH A LA CARTE

FIRST COURSE

Choice of:

Seared Scallops

Fennel Puree, Nicoise Vinagrette

Creamy Pea and Morel Mushroom Risotto

Mascarpone Cheese, Chervil

Crab Salad

Avocado, Cilantro, Citrus Emulsion

Roasted Beet Salad

Goat Cheese, Toasted Hazelnut Vinagrette

Creamy Celery Root Soup

Carmalized Apples, Crispy Smoked Bacon

SECOND COURSE

Choice of:

Butter Poached Lobster Tail

Fricassee of Baby Vegetables, Black Truffle Emulsion

Roasted Filet Mignon

Fingerling Potatoes, Shallots, Smoked Bacon, Dijon Emulsion

Pan Seared Loup de Mer

Crispy Artichokes, Garlic Confit, Smoked Tomato Coulis, Arugula

Herb Marinated Lamb Chops

Ratatouille, Feta Cheese, Mint

DESSERTS

Choice of:

Gianduja Souffle

Donatella Gelato

Tulipe Croustillante

Frozen Yogurt, Fresh Berries

Ivory Caramel Tart

Cognac Flambeed Bananas

--- --- ---

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

My goodness, Happy Thanksgiving!!

Hi!

Celebrity newbie here, what is the Champagne Tea?

thanks,

Jo

Hi Jodi58,

I see you are a fellow Canadian... so a BIG Welcome to the CC CELEBRITY BOARD.

Champagne Tea is basically what us Canadians know as “High Tea” (don’t know where you are in Canada… but the Fairmont Chateau Hotels are well known for this kind of thing)

A hold over from the Victorian age, the custom is very British, very prim, proper and dare I say lady-like (break out the dresses, the hats and the fine china & crystal)

It is served mid-afternoon (ours began at 2:15 PM), and besides including the requisite pot of tea (Murano’s offers EACH attendee their own pot of tea in whatever “flavour” of the Premium Forte Teas they desire)… there are finger sandwiches (sans crusts) - hot scones served with clotted cream, strawberry jam, and blueberry preserves – fancy squares - french macaron cookies - and it all is finished up with the most delicious petit fours.

The Champagne reference just means that each Guest can have a wonderful glass of Champagne to kick off their tea service. At Murano’s they bring this accompanied by a wonderful HUGE strawberry that is sliced, and you can toss into the champagne if you so desire.

Wikipedia – British Tea = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_tea_culture

Wikipedia – Macaron Cookies = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macaron

Wikipedia – Petit Fours = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petit_fours

My GF and I took in the Champagne Tea on Day 6 of our 7 Day cruise… and loved it (it was only offered once on our cruise). If there was one “complaint” though it was that the Celebrity Solstice OVERBOOKED that day with various things in the Food & Wine category… so having ate the Solstice Brunch at 10 AM can’t say that we were hungry enough to really enjoy all that was on offer by Tea Time.

The Service however was impeccable… Murano’s always is top drawer when it comes to that… Their Waiters, men and women, were dressed to the nines (Tuxedos) and of course had the traditional white gloves on as well. Very posh.

And when we arrived, there was even a classical stringed quartet playing… very nice.

Murano’s class act that they are… let us ladies linger over tea (time without the guys to chit-chat… gotta love all that opportunity for “girl talk”) and although we were the last to leave, we never for a second felt rushed or put upon by the GREAT staff at Murano’s.

Tea with Champagne = $ 25 per person

Tea without Champagne = $ 19 per person

Definitely would do again (especially as a girls-outing)… and would recommend.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Archived