cheap for simple folks what to do

starbrite911

Hi there,

We cruised for the first time in September on Monarch of the Seas when it went to Bahamas. Myself and my siblings

went to school in St. Kitts and so Bahamas was not a big deal to us to be honest. We just laid out on the

sand. I felt this was a huge waste of time and money and hope this next cruise is better.

My family is going on our second cruise vacation this last week of February. We will be on VOyager of the Seas

by RCC. we will visit Cozumel Mexico, Falmouth Jamaica, and Georgetown Jamaica.

I am looking for some ideas on what to do. I can't see us spending $80-100 per person on an activity to be

honest, we have many food allergies and restrictions so we will limit to eating on the cruise, we don't swim so snorkeling and that sort is also out. We like to see new things, and dipping our

feet in the water is a good idea too.

Can someone give me an idea of what is the most cost affective activities for us to do? Or direct me to some deals?

Will RCC provide me with any play items like a shovel or pail for a sand castle, etc ? Is that stuff

cheap to buy on shore?

I was thinking Queen Elizabeth Botanical garden so we can see some different wild life and flowers and at $8 each it's good.

Maybe go to a near by beach and relax there, my family is simple, we will have a blast trying to make a castle

or walk in the waves.

I read about pony rides in the water, but I am wondering if that price can be adjusted if instead of 1.5 hour

each, we spend 10-15 minutes each?

Please help me thank u :) I wish my family was more willing to spend money on the shore excursions but because

we have never experienced this stuff they are reluctant to spend a lot on it.

Cozumel is just fun to walk around town. There are good and inexpensive restaurants that are a little off the main drag. It's a lovely town for tourists with lots to see, good food and cheap drinks. If you don't want to spend too much money, just wander around the town. You can also take a cab to a beach club, many which are free. You can order food and drink right there and enjoy a fairly inexpensive day.

Grand Cayman will be expensive if you shop and eat. It's a very clean, safe town, but can also be crowded and expensive. I would recommend hopping on the public bus system and heading up to Hell (everhone has to see it once, right?) and then maybe a trip to the turtle farm.

Jamaica is VERY different that Cayman and Cozumel, as it is very mountainous. If you want to do anything as a first timer in Jamaica, i would spend my money on a tour.

What you need to do is get a guidebook on your ports...libraries have them and so do bookstores. That will give you ALL the info you need to decide what to do in each place. Excursions are almost always unneeded....it's really quite easy to do things on your own, but you HAVE TO HAVE INFO!!!!! The book will tell you all about the different forms of transportation, where things are....everything!

Cozumel is just fun to walk around town. There are good and inexpensive restaurants that are a little off the main drag. It's a lovely town for tourists with lots to see, good food and cheap drinks. If you don't want to spend too much money, just wander around the town. You can also take a cab to a beach club, many which are free. You can order food and drink right there and enjoy a fairly inexpensive day.

Grand Cayman will be expensive if you shop and eat. It's a very clean, safe town, but can also be crowded and expensive. I would recommend hopping on the public bus system and heading up to Hell (everhone has to see it once, right?) and then maybe a trip to the turtle farm.

Jamaica is VERY different that Cayman and Cozumel, as it is very mountainous. If you want to do anything as a first timer in Jamaica, i would spend my money on a tour.

How exactly do you take the public bus to Hell? We were just going to take the bus to the beach but I have read so much about rock formations maybe we could take the public bus there..?

My boyfriend and I are going on our first cruise in March to the Grand Cayman's as well. I have been trying to do a lot of research on what to do here as well.

Check out this link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=449552

It's a GREAT resource for any questions you have about Grand Cayman... I wish every port had this data compiled!

How exactly do you take the public bus to Hell? We were just going to take the bus to the beach but I have read so much about rock formations maybe we could take the public bus there..?

Bus Schedule

Region Days Frequency/Time

West Bay Monday – Thursday Every 15mins (6am – 6pm)

Every 30mins (after 6pm – 11pm)

Fridays & Saturday Every 15mins (6am – 6pm)

Every 30mins (after 6pm - 1am)

BoddenTown Monday – Thursday Every 15mins (6am – 6pm)

Every 30mins (after 6pm – 11pm)

Fridays & Saturday Every 15mins (6am – 6pm)

Every 30mins (after 6pm – 1am)

East End & North Side Saturday–Thursday Hourly (6am – 9pm)

Fridays Will Operate until after Midnight

1 WB and 2 WB go from Downtown Georgetown to/through Hell.

I suppose everyone feels the need to visit Hell if they haven't traveled to Grand Cayman. I did my first time but will give you a little heads up - it is primarily some jagged, black rock formations and a very small area. You will look at it for no more than 5 minutes and then be done. There is a post office there where you can mail a postcard from "hell" if you are so inclined. The post office was much better about 10 years ago as the gift shop it was in had lots of different hot sauces, etc. Now it's pretty much a t-shirt shop

Here is what it looks like

39284906.jpg

Archived