onboard snacking

johno95

My DH and I are vegans, so I'll pack some vegan protein bars, nuts, nutritional yeast, to supplement the foods available on the buffet. It's not so much for snacking in the room, but to make sure we have enough to eat for nutrition's sake.

I have cruised as a vegetarian before and DH is a permananent vegetarian ;). There is SO MUCH to eat that is vegan.i don't know what line you are cruising but Princess had Indian selections every day that were labeled veg and clearly vegan. Obviously peanut butter is always around. The Asian meals in the buffet- most vegan. The cruise lines are probably catching on to the fact that veg=cheap!

Good point! I haven't done an excursion in years but just signed up for one. If I get even a hint that the food hasn't been washed properly.... A few years ago we were on a private cave tubing tour in Belize. We were laughing in the van when we saw the ship's tour stop at this place called Cheers- in the middle of nowhere, with the sign made to look like the old show Cheers (in BOSTON). That tour included lunch and was double the price of the one we took. As we pulled past and got a good look at the place I was thinking I would be sick for a week if I had eaten there. Took the same tour the next time we went, a year or two later, and saw the same place looking even sketchier. I would definitely have eaten the bare minimum to stay alive ;) and would have wished for a couple of Zone bars. Prepackaged sandwiches with mayo on them? I would have cried:o.

I can tell the sandwiches the guide had bought were high end and those who ate them seemed to enjoy them, including my hubby. But I don't eat condiments so it was a problem for me.

She always attends the camps on the ship when she sails with us. If she is there for their meal time she will just have fries (if it's on the kids menu that night as they don't always serve them). She does walk the buffet usually with her twin getting her fries..if she can handle the smells of the food. All her friends are use to her eating patterns here at home and when we visit other relatives I take her meals. She WILL NOT try anything and we have been told not even to discuss it or ask her to try anything. Hopefully she will out grow it, or she is going to be a very cheap date when she gets older.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but have you consulted with a therapist who specialized in sensory disorders? They can help her overcome these issues.

I can tell the sandwiches the guide had bought were high end and those who ate them seemed to enjoy them' date=' including my hubby. But I don't eat condiments so it was a problem for me.[/quote']

I'm the same way. I don't understand what is so hard about packets when buying for a group.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but have you consulted with a therapist who specialized in sensory disorders? They can help her overcome these issues.

We did. Nothing. No sensory integration disorder. Nothing. It was bizarre, but it is o-vah thank GOD!

Like many here have already posted, on a cruise there are so many venues and times to get food (incl room service), why bring snacks to the room?

If we really want something to go with a glass of wine out on the balcony, I might run up to the Lido and get some crackers and cheese, maybe a few shrimp. But that's it.

Sometimes, I crave popcorn but can find it only occasionally at MUTS or big games like football that are being broadcast. Too bad, I am a popcorn addict.;)

I was one of those picky eaters as a kid; I liked cream-cheese-and-jelly sandwiches and not much else. It wasn't that I was unwilling to try new things - my family had the "just one bite" rule - but many foods tasted very strong and unpleasant to me, and that "one bite" rarely made me want to eat more of whatever it was. Now I will eat pretty much anything and my health is just fine.

She always attends the camps on the ship when she sails with us. If she is there for their meal time she will just have fries (if it's on the kids menu that night as they don't always serve them). She does walk the buffet usually with her twin getting her fries..if she can handle the smells of the food. All her friends are use to her eating patterns here at home and when we visit other relatives I take her meals. She WILL NOT try anything and we have been told not even to discuss it or ask her to try anything. Hopefully she will out grow it, or she is going to be a very cheap date when she gets older.

I had two picky eaters which is ironic when they have me as a mother! I wouldn't presume to advise you what to do because it used to drive me insane. All I would say is that my boys are 6'3" and 6'5", are 19 and 20 and muscular!

My youngest just started university reading mathematics with finance and is the hero of their halls because he now has a passion for food and a love of cooking so he'll get £5 from all his mates and cook them up a feast on two gas rings. They get anything from risotto to sea bass on a crushed potato and chick pea bed with wilted greens!

It ends, I promise!

Neither have developmental issues

I can tell the sandwiches the guide had bought were high end and those who ate them seemed to enjoy them' date=' including my hubby. But I don't eat condiments so it was a problem for me.[/quote']

I'm the same way. I don't understand what is so hard about packets when buying for a group.

Count me in wishing condiments came separately.

I don't like most condiments so wouldn't eat prepackaged sandwiches on excursions. I usually bring along a couple of prepackaged snacks I've brought from home for flights, the cabin, and in port. They've come in handy when there's no food, or food I won't eat, on an excursion.

There certainly is enough food on the ship. But most of it is calorie laden.

We take snacks along for portion control. DW and I have lost a little over 40 lbs each. It has taken us a year and we certainly do not want to mess that up on a cruise. We have learned to stay away from certain foods, such a cheese and fat. I am the one with a sweet tooth, I have to be careful with baked goods, such as cookies and cakes. (Too much butter and sugar). If I am peckish at about 4 pm, I will have an Anisette Toast by Stella d'Oro. Each one of those crescents has just 45 calories, is delicious and satisfies the need to crunch on something. By comparison, one plain Sandy by Keebler has about 80 cals and is gone in two bites. You "don't get no satisfaction" from two bites.

@Azure Moon -

You may want to check out minimus dot biz for their selection of jams, jellies and condiments in tiny jars and individual pouches. Orders of $20+ will have no shipping charges. Our local diner has a great selection of breakfast jellies, as long a you like grape. That's it. So we bring some more exotic jellies from minimus.

via iPod touch and Tapatalk.

You don't need to bring snacks for a cruise -- at all.

If you feel that you need snacks in your room (perhaps because your party contains small children, a diabetic, or whatever person with a special need), you can easily scoop up snacks onboard and bring them to your room. Examples:

- Go to the British-themed pub and ask for trail mix. It'll be a nice glass carafe full of peanuts, white chocolate chips and other snackies.

- Go to buffet (you're sure to be there anyway) and collect some fresh fruit for your room. If you like bananas, it's a good idea to take several for the week -- the ship doesn't get more food 'til they return to port, so the bananas will become picked-over and bruised as the week goes on. You can also bring back cheese; it lasts longer in the refrigerator but will not go bad in a week or more at room temperature.

- Go to the Promenade Cafe and bring back a handful of cookies or crackers; of course, you can also do this at the buffet. You might want to bring 1-2 ziplock bags to keep them crisp.

- You can always order a cheese tray or chips/dip from room service (no charge, but do tip your wait staff). Of course, I know that when my diabetic husband needs something, he needs it NOW, so room service might not be your best option.

- If you like chips, they're not usually served at the buffet . . . but they are included on room service trays. When you order something, ask for several packages of chips.

- At dinner, ask for your dessert to go. They'll wrap it nicely for you, and then you can enjoy it later in the evening instead of right after dinner.

Really, you'll find no shortage of food onboard. Do designate a drawer in your room (or closet) for snack storage; otherwise, your very efficient cabin steward may cart away what you planned as your stash. Also, don't take too much: You're likely to eat more than usual at meals, so you're likely to want to snack less.

As other posters have stated, it's not a bad idea to bring pre-packaged snacks to take off the ship. We usually bring cheese crackers, peanuts, or granola bars. They're enough on shore and are perfectly legal -- but don't over-do. You'll find plenty of onboard snacking materials are provided for you.

Well, I agree with all this; of course there is plenty and more of food on the ship.

But, I still bring snacks. They're just small things, a bag of chocolate kissses is my main snack. Sometimes a few packages of cashews or other nuts. My husband always has licorice.

Why? Well, I don't always want to run up to the buffet, a bar, order room service, etc. When I say snacks, I don't mean a mini-meal, like pizza or chips and dip. I just want something small, like a kiss, for a sweet taste.

Salty type snacks are harder to find, though most ships have tortilla chips at some time.

Sometimes I do bring back cookies or dessert or fruit too. But I still want my small pleasures. This is besides a few packaged snacks for onshore or in-flight.

Of course I don't need them; I just want them. I'd rather eat one kiss slowly, which satisfies my sweet tooth for 25 calories, than cookies or dessert at hundreds of calories. (Not that I don't do that too, at times; just not every day.)

My sister was a very picky eater while growing up and I thought she was nuts! She only ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on white bread and cereal. I swear that's all I remember her eating for the longest time. When we'd go out to dinner as a family, my mom always had to pack a PB&J for her to eat. I mean really, what kid doesn't love spaghetti or pizza or hamburgers or fries....not my sister!

Then, she turned into a gourmet cook who even makes her own sushi. I love to tease her when she invites me over for dinner about her menu consisting of a fine selection of PB&J sandwiches. :)

Hang in there, y'all. Most kids grow out of their picky eating ways.

She only ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on white bread and cereal. . I mean really, what kid doesn't love spaghetti or pizzza or hamburgers or fries....not my sister!

You mean she had the peanut butter and jelly TOGETHER in a sandwich..lol I wish ..yuck it's touching..my girl is soooooooo picky if a fry touches the ketchup BEFORE she dips it, game over she won't eat that one..

If I am peckish at about 4 pm, I will have an Anisette Toast by Stella d'Oro. Each one of those crescents has just 45 calories, is delicious and satisfies the need to crunch on something. By comparison, one plain Sandy by Keebler has about 80 cals and is gone in two bites. You "don't get no satisfaction" from two bites.

I haven't seen this brand in local grocery stores since the 80s! I loved the Como Delight cookies. One was good for breakfast, not too sweet. Wish I could find them around here.

I haven't seen this brand in local grocery stores since the 80s! I loved the Como Delight cookies. One was good for breakfast, not too sweet. Wish I could find them around here.

I wondered why I hadn't seen them for a while. I used to slice them in half and use them for mini cream puffs.

Here is the reason. The union workers went on strike because the company was in trouble and couldn't pay the wages and benefits demanded. After bitter negotiations, the company went under. :( Now the workers are all out of a job. http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-03-13/local/29139765_1_stella-d-oro-mike-filippou-brynwood-partners

I always bring snacks for a couple of reasons. One, my husband is diabetic so I carry snacks with me while on shore excursions just in case his sugar drops and he needs a boost. Also to make sure he has the right kind of snacks to enjoy while on board. Usually he can find plenty to much on but just to be safe, I have something with me. Plus I like to have munchies for my son and I, things that you don't usually find on board, ding-dongs, ho-ho's, twinkies, snowballs, cupcakes... kidding! :rolleyes: (sort of)

I wondered why I hadn't seen them for a while. I used to slice them in half and use them for mini cream puffs.

Here is the reason. The union workers went on strike because the company was in trouble and couldn't pay the wages and benefits demanded. After bitter negotiations, the company went under. :( Now the workers are all out of a job. http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-03-13/local/29139765_1_stella-d-oro-mike-filippou-brynwood-partners

That's a shame for the workers. And I'm bummed about no more como delight. Wonder why it should bother me now, I haven't had 1 of those cookies in decades! Maybe just knowing they are gone for good. :(

Archived