Dry Dock for Marina

LuAnn

I read on the R/C for our November '12 Rome to Rio T/A that the Marina will just be coming out of dry dock prior to the cruise. Anyone know what is being done? LuAnn

If we all close our eyes tight and wish very hard, the Marina will be in dry dock to fix her unplesasantly small shower problem -- even if that means nothing more than adding the necessary equipment to the existing tubs.

Isn't that the truth, bphman!! That was great. I hope they remove all those deep drawers and put in shelves in the balcony cabins. That would certainly help in seeing what you actually brought to wear. Otherwise, I can't understand why she would be going into drydock.

Bobi

I have to agree, skigrams. We found the storage to be lacking. Even worse than our tiny river cruise cabin. I think shelves in the closet would be great since there is plenty of hanging space. Just don't touch the beds. I wanted to bring mine home.

If we all close our eyes tight and wish very hard, the Marina will be in dry dock to fix her unplesasantly small shower problem -- even if that means nothing more than adding the necessary equipment to the existing tubs.

Adding fixtures to the tubs = good idea

Swapping out shower doors for shower curtains = bad idea

I agree with BPHMAN - the beds on the Marina are outstanding. I did some research after our 2011 cruise on the Marina - 16 nights of heavenly bliss. What I found out was the mattress company is Italian and makes the matresses for Marina - no public distribution of any kind. I did read that a close proximity may be TempurPedic. Does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on this subject.

I only know that I have been a Night Owl my entire life and when on the Marina I couldn't wait to get into bed!

I agree with BPHMAN - the beds on the Marina are outstanding. I did some research after our 2011 cruise on the Marina - 16 nights of heavenly bliss. What I found out was the mattress company is Italian and makes the matresses for Marina - no public distribution of any kind. I did read that a close proximity may be TempurPedic. Does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on this subject.

I only know that I have been a Night Owl my entire life and when on the Marina I couldn't wait to get into bed!

Yes, there is distribution in the US!!. My girlfriend and her husband called O's offices and were referred to a distributor in Florida. She sent for the bed and it was delivered a week ago. She told me the price was approximately $3,000 plus shipping, I believe, but don't quote me on that. So if you're interested, call O's offices again and ask for customer relations.

We were booked on the 11/15 sailing, here's what they sent us:

Important Information: Marina November 15, 2012 Voyage

Dear Guests and Travel Partners,

In mid-November Marina will need to undergo a number of cosmetic enhancements that include retiling, re-carpeting, adding hand-held showers to both bathtubs and showers, adding glass partitions to the bath tubs and making some galley adjustments to facilitate exciting changes to certain menus. In order to avoid the disruption to guests that some of this refurbishment work would entail if it were done during a sailing, Marina will enter a seven-day dry-dock in Marseilles, which warrants the cancellation of her November 15, 2012 seven-day cruise from Barcelona to Rome.

We regret any inconvenience these changes may cause and hope you understand and appreciate the need for the actions being taken.

Sorry if this is posted twice. Sure hope changes are for the better. We are really looking forward to the surf and turf lunch sandwiches. Not sure all the changes will be for the better. Hope so since we are doing the TA Rome to Rio

Hmm hope this doesn't mean delays............

Sorry if this is posted twice. Sure hope changes are for the better. We are really looking forward to the surf and turf lunch sandwiches. Not sure all the changes will be for the better. Hope so since we are doing the TA Rome to Rio

Hmm hope this doesn't mean delays............

Incidentally, not all the food at Waves Grille are served as sandwiches in spite of the fact that I can't see any reason why they couldn't be. For example, the marinated tuna is served on a bun, but the salmon fillet is not. On past cruises, when I've ordered mahi mahi, the fish was plated as a sandwhich. On my recent Marina cruise, the mahi mahi came in chunks not on a bun. When my husband ordered the Blackened Chicken with Salsa, it was served as a sandwich once and as a platter another time. If you want your surf and turf served as a sandwich clarify that at ordering time.

We were booked on the 11/15 sailing' date=' here's what they sent us:[/left']

In mid-November Marina will need to undergo a number of cosmetic enhancements that include retiling, re-carpeting, adding hand-held showers to both bathtubs and showers, adding glass partitions to the bath tubs and making some galley adjustments to facilitate exciting changes to certain menus. In order to avoid the disruption to guests that some of this refurbishment work would entail if it were done during a sailing, Marina will enter a seven-day dry-dock in Marseilles, which warrants the cancellation of her November 15, 2012 seven-day cruise from Barcelona to Rome.

We regret any inconvenience these changes may cause and hope you understand and appreciate the need for the actions being taken.

I guess the voices have been heard about the showers!! Wondering too about the menu changes? LuAnn

We were booked on the 11/15 sailing' date=' here's what they sent us:[/left']

I hope they do the same to the Riviera (before her maiden voyage)! :)

I read on the R/C for our November '12 Rome to Rio T/A that the Marina will just be coming out of dry dock prior to the cruise. Anyone know what is being done? LuAnn
... include retiling, re-carpeting, adding hand-held showers to both bathtubs and showers, adding glass partitions to the bath tubs and making some galley adjustments to facilitate exciting changes to certain menus...

Why so soon, isn't the ship barely a year old? Sounds like there are some design/installation flaws.

Why so soon, isn't the ship barely a year old? Sounds like there are some design/installation flaws.

I think it may have more to do with the design changes required by the new "exciting" menu changes.

Also I think they want to stay in tip top shape since they have a new sister.

Yes, there is distribution in the US!!. My girlfriend and her husband called O's offices and were referred to a distributor in Florida. She sent for the bed and it was delivered a week ago. She told me the price was approximately $3,000 plus shipping, I believe, but don't quote me on that. So if you're interested, call O's offices again and ask for customer relations.

Thank you, DoubleDobles - I appreciate your suggestion and will look into it. Nice to know these beds are available in the US.

• 3 months later...

My husband thinks that the real reason she is going into dry dock so soon is to fix a fairly loud noise that occurred during our Feb. cruise whenever the thrusters were switched on. He thought that maybe there was a small chip somewhere that was causing excessive noise. It didn't really bother me (and according to my husband, a former navy safety guy it was not a safety issue), but I don't think the many first-time O cruisers were too impressed! Whether there is still noise or not, I don't know....and whether the noise has anything to do with the dry docking, I don't know. Our travel agent simply stated that O told him that some cosmetic mods were being made. Who knows? I'll still cruise Marina regardless of whether they ever enlarge that shower or not, as the extra food venues and improvements outweigh the slight claustrophobia I feel when getting into the shower!

Archived