Missed the ship leaving port

bouhunter

I was on Navigator and was waiting for Enchantment to leave from Labadee. I could hear them calling names over the loudspeaker. Watched them clear up the barriers and then pull up the two gangplanks and then descend just one. A couple sauntered up nonchalantly and boarded. Always wondered if the fact they were on a different time zone to us made a difference.....

393191_10150996122500352_617355351_21931218_695622559_n.jpg

Did you ever notice how there always seems to be that one couple that you just see over and over again?

On my first cruise (NCL, 1986) there was a newly wed couple from New York. She had the Bo Derek "10" look going and I suppose that made her stand out.

Anyway, I happened to oversee these two arguing heatedly in St. Thomas.

I was fortunate to be in a suite on that cruise (honeymoon) and back at that time, NCL would invite the suite guests on a tour of the bridge while the ship was leaving a port, in this case, you guessed it, St. Thomas.

We had just drifted away from the pier when Bo's beau came running up yelling to someone onboard if they had seen his wife. The "someone" replied that yes, she was on board.

I told the captain what I had observed earlier (quick side note here...I had earlier in the week signed up for a golfing shore excursion that nobody else signed up for. To make it go, the captain, cruise director, night club comic and the band leader joined me for 18 holes...it was a hoot. I learned some interesting Norwegian swear words during that outing.)

Using some of the swear words I had heard earlier in the week, the captain ordered the ship to return to the dock. "This is gonna cost him," the captain whispered to me. I never found out how much.

Trout

It's highly unlikely that tthe ship "finally they gave up and pulled away from the pier as stated in your post."

I was simply recounting a recent event, wasn't looking for a lecture about how my description was incorrect:rolleyes:

The late Aruba calls were awesome...when the ship left at 1 AM, there were people running late after sucking up the cocktails at Senor Frogs!

Once, when leaving Ocho Rios, a small fishing boat was speeding towards the ship....the Captain slowed down and a woman and child climbed in via the pilot's ladder.

The only reason the ship stopped (just outside the pier area) was due to the little kid....she had to pay the fisherman to bring them out...)

Last tender in GC for our Freedom cruise was 3:30. But be warned that the line

to board those last few tenders is horrific. We got in line at 1:30 and it took us 45

minutes to get on the next tender. :eek:

Ship left promptly at 4 pm.

Thanks for the info! As long as we get back by 2:00pm, we should be fine then. Booked the Stingray Catamaran/Snorkeling through Island Marketing.

We just got home tonight and I haven't been too far down the threads so maybe this is old news. In St. Lucia last week a couple missed the ship and were left behind. Many people were looking out their balcony's, the ship had broadcast an alert looking for two people. We saw a ship staff member giving two passports to a port employee (they must search a cabin and try to leave passports behind???). Seemed like the ship waited about a half hour hoping they'd show up. Finally they gave up and started to pull away from the pier. Just then on the other side of the port shops a small boat pullled up and two people ran off and sprinted for the Adventure. By the time they got to the edge of the pier the ship was 40-50 feet from the pier and kept pulling away. They obviously looked very distraught and upset. After it all unfolded I wished we had gotten a video of the whole thing. It was sad and unfortunate, and the timing how they showed up just as the ship pulled away was quite dramatic:( Seemed like the ship hung around nearby for quite a while moving very slowly - maybe they caught a boat out to board but I have no idea.

Youtube has many videos of this happening.

I don't understand the whole ships time/local time aspect of missing the boat. Don't people have watches? I actually PURCHASED a watch (water resistant) just for the cruise so I would know what time it was according to the ship - and I'm sure it's explained to folks that the times can be rather different.....

We were in San Jaun on a ship tour. There was an accident ahead of us (we were not involved). It took almost an hour for them to get us moving. We got to the ship about 45 mins late. The ship waited for us as the next stop was Norfolk. There were plent of people who missed the ship that time. I believe it was close to 40. They were not on ship tours so as soon as we boarded they left. One of the people left behind was in a trio that played music. They fired the band.

I just got off the Explorer and while in St Maarten, we noticed they kept calling 2 names over the PA system. I was, of course, outside waiting for sail away as we were pulling out behind the Oasis.

We waited about 35 minutes until we saw them saunter up without a care in the world. They clearly didn't realize they were late and I believe it was due to the time difference. Some people were cheering, some were booing ... it was quite a sight to see LOL

Also, on my first cruise on the Liberty, we had a LOT of runners when we were in Ocho Rios. I think the sudden downpour of rain spurred them on.

We were on the aos as well and spoke to these two at san juan airport. Their water taxi broke down they said they were really feared for their life as they were bobbing around in the water and hitting rocks. They were upset rccl went into their safe and got their passports (but also realized would not have gotten a flight to barbados without them) they said their cost was about $1000 between clothes, room and flight.

This happened to me on my very first cruise from Vancouver up to Alaska. My Mom had taken a sightseeing tour in Vancouver and the tour bus broke down. The ship stopped in port and we paid $200 for a water taxi out to the ship and crawled in through the engine room or something. It was fun listening to the conversations throughout the week of people wondering who it was they stopped for :)

Long story short... we were in St Maarten at Maho beach and we left early to return the car and there was an accident and let alone all the traffic.We saw the ship sailing away and wife cried..!!We returned the car to the airport / hertz, called RCI and told them we were ok and we will meet them in St Thomas. Got a hotel close to airport, but all we had with us is credit card, sea pass, bathing suit, towels and driver license. Showed up at the airport early for our 6 am flight to St Thomas. They wouldn't let us board cuz we had no passports..they were in our safe on the ship. So, RCI had to call them to confirm we are US Citizens, but locals wouldn't let us go cuz of passports. Plane left the tarmac and taxi'd out and they said JUST GO !!! So they took us by van to the plane waiting and they opened the door, dropped the steps, everyone cheered cuz they knew what was going on, we sat down buckled in and we took off two minutes later. Got to ship in St Thomas, checked in with RCI ( who was amazing ) and we showered and got a bite to eat and we spent the day in St Thomas....BUT WOW what a wild 24 hrs !! It was like being on The Amazing Race

I am pretty sure Pier Watching is a new activity on board. We watch for runners and I see many people cheering on late comers as they run towards pier during those last few boarding minutes!

We call it "The running of the tourists".

Run Forrest Run!!!!

We were on this cruise and watched the latecomers return to the ships in Costa Maya. The "ladies" that you mentioned were on the Norwegian that was next to us. I agree with you, it was not a pretty sight

Ah...even NCL had that joy to deal with. ;)

Did you see that last trio (Mommy/Daddy/child)? They were lucky not to have

been left behind. With all those port shopping bags, they did not look like they

were getting back late from a tour. :eek:

I was In Bermuda this past Sept when Maria was heading towards them. My friend and I were out shopping when the sky opened up! (the outer bands of the hurricane). We decided it would probably be smart to head back to the ship. I think we still had 3-4 hours till we had to be on board. we got to the ferry to see a sea of people. We just missed the one ferry and there were already two groups of people for the next two ferries. It ended up that we had to wait an hour and a half for the ferry and still left a lot of people behind. We got to the ship with about an hour and a half to spare.

It could be worse....you could be one of these two who both 'missed' the ship unfortunately......a couple got married on a ship, and the next day husband beat wife up. Husband jumped off the ship as it was leaving port. The ship went back for him but he was was arrested. Ship leaves again, but ship goes back to port after steward finds wife injured in her room. She was removed by ambulance from the ship. Ship left yet again. Commentary can be heard by people shooting video.

Do you know what ship this is?

Thanks for the info! As long as we get back by 2:00pm, we should be fine then. Booked the Stingray Catamaran/Snorkeling through Island Marketing.

You should be fine then.

Just make sure the tour operator knows about the long lines

to board the tenders.

Enjoy your cruise!!

We had a blast watching people coming back in Cozumel. There were these 4 guys, obviously drunk, 2 of them had wrestler masks on. It was so funny, they were helping each other back to the ship and clapping, hugging, high fiving. It was so funny.

We had a blast watching people coming back in Cozumel. There were these 4 guys, obviously drunk, 2 of them had wrestler masks on. It was so funny, they were helping each other back to the ship and clapping, hugging, high fiving. It was so funny.

I have been going to Cozumel for 15 years. When I first went there was only 1-2 cruise ships a week, now there are two to three a day. We would be coming back from a dive and laugh at the drunks stagering back to the cruise ships. One afternoon two guys were carrying a young woman with the skimpiest bikini on back from a bar and her friend kept trying to cover her up with a t-shirt saying she does not want her friend to get embaressed.:rolleyes:

I've posted this on other threads -- Youtube videos of people either barely making it or actually missing the ship at a port-of-call.

Some make it...

(but later others were left behind)

And some don't...

(already listed in previous posts in this thread)

And for a real adventure, catch a boat...

(already listed in previous posts in this thread)

We missed the last tender in Bar Harbour,ME because we both had our wires crossed as to what time that was.When we got to the pier,we thought we were an hour early and we were really an hour late.Long story short,we were taken out to the moving ship on a Lobster boat,which doubled as the pilot boat.When we got on board a stern looking officer was waiting for and explanation.Once he could see it was an honest mistake, he kind of smirked and walked away.Another officer laughed and said don't worry it happens all the time.

We missed the last tender in Bar Harbour,ME because we both had our wires crossed as to what time that was.When we got to the pier,we thought we were an hour early and we were really an hour late.Long story short,we were taken out to the moving ship on a Lobster boat,which doubled as the pilot boat.When we got on board a stern looking officer was waiting for and explanation.Once he could see it was an honest mistake, he kind of smirked and walked away.Another officer laughed and said don't worry it happens all the time.

Just out of curiosity, how much did that ride out to the ship cost you? I've always wondered this, and they take credit cards? I do not ever plan on testing it myself but think it would be good info to have!

Archived