Crown princess steaming home!

6pack

Let me get this straight.

Today the Crown is supposed to be docked at 1pm in Curacao, tomorrow (Wed) Aruba and then two sea days back for Sat Ft Lauderdale.

Did the Crown NOT stop at Curacao? Is she steaming straight back to get into Lauderdale a day or two early?

She did NOT stop anywhere. She left FLL, skipped Princess Cays and got almost to Curacao to turn around and head back to FLL.

Today the Crown is supposed to be docked at 1pm in Curacao, tomorrow (Wed) Aruba and then two sea days back for Sat Ft Lauderdale.

Did the Crown NOT stop at Curacao? Is she steaming straight back to get into Lauderdale a day or two early?

This information has been posted earlier in the thread. This sailing skipped Princess Cays completely due to leaving so late on 2/4 and planned to get into Curacao around 9am (rather than 1pm as normal). Instead, the passengers were notified this morning that they would be turning around and going back to Ft Lauderdale immediately - without having stopped at any ports yet. It is a cruise to nowhere technically.

Even though one has finished with the symptoms of noro virus, they still remain contagious for up to two weeks. So it is understandable why the ship can't contain this virus. Hoping the two day de-contamination will work this time. I feel like many of you do, that the crew may have started with this and because they are still onboard, it keeps getting passed around to others.

I was reading http://www.cdc.gov/features/norovirus and they suggest cleaning hard surfaces with clorox and water. Carrying a small container of Clorox on the plane is not an option. I have a 22 fl oz bottle spray of Clorox Anywhere for hard surfaces . Has anyone seen anything smaller? I am not sure they will let me on the airplane with a bottle. Have you seen the Clorox in wipes ?

Sali

I was reading http://www.cdc.gov/features/norovirus and they suggest cleaning hard surfaces with clorox and water. Carrying a small container of Clorox on the plane is not an option. I have a 22 fl oz bottle spray of Clorox Anywhere for hard surfaces . Has anyone seen anything smaller? I am not sure they will let me on the airplane with a bottle. Have you seen the Clorox in wipes ?

Sali

No they will not let you on with anymore than 3.5 ounces unless it is medications and then you usually need a note from the doctor.

With the increase in crew getting sick, I would think they would have a hard time containing this. Do they quarantine the crew to their cabins? What if they share a cabin with someone that isn't sick but might be getting exposed because they share a cabin with someone sick?

We were on the 1/28/12 Crown sailing. One of our waiters roommate was sick and taken out of their cabin. Our waiter still serve us, and he shared the room with the sick man before he was removed from the cabin. No waiting peroid to see if he was sick too.

Sali

I would probably not want to pack something like that with my clothes. Maybe you could buy it once in FLL.

Kim

Never mind... finally saw a earlier post that they are skipping Curacao and will be back Thurs... WOW that sucks!!!

According to the docking schedule on the port everglades web cam site, the crown is set to dock at 0600 2/9 thursday

Pete

Hi Dave & Brenda (6pack):

Looks like you will have stories to tell us when we board on Saturday. I guess you won't know what hotel they will put you up in until the bus rolls up to the door. We will be in FLL after 1pm on Friday. If you are anywhere near SE 17th we are meeting at the Extended Stay at 6pm before going to dinner at Bravo Italiano Restaurant. You are welcome to join us. We trust that you are not carriers, LOL. Otherwise, see you at the meet and greet and our Cozumel tour.

Barry

I thought the 3.5 ounces limit was when you brought liquids on your carry- on and not on what you packed. I would prefer Clorox wipes.

Sali

3 or 3.5 oz is the limit for your carry-on. I suppose if you wanted to put a bottle of bleach in your suitcase, it would be OK. After all, you can ship alcohol home that way. Why not bleach?

I prefer wipes, also and will be bringing some on our Crown sailing. You can sometimes find small packages of them or, if you're going to be wiping down every day, put a full package in your luggage to carry on board.

Maybe it sounds funny, but I have a small package of Clorox wipes that goes in my purse. I wipe down the arm rests, seat belt fasteners and the tray tables when I fly and the handles on my luggage after anyone other than my DH and me touch them. If we rent a car, I wipe it down too. DH just rolls his eyes.

Someone suggested bringing disposable gloves on board, kind of tongue in cheek. I'm beginning to think that's not a bad suggestion. Wear them outside of your cabin and dispose of them when you get where you're going.

I think it is fair to say this has to be SOMETHING specific to this ship over the past several months...compared to say, the Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas which hasn't had any significant, reported outbreaks during the same time period.

I haven't seen this mentioned before...but do you suppose this might be intentionally caused by a disgruntled employee or something?

3 or 3.5 oz is the limit for your carry-on. I suppose if you wanted to put a bottle of bleach in your suitcase, it would be OK. After all, you can ship alcohol home that way. Why not bleach?

I prefer wipes, also and will be bringing some on our Crown sailing. You can sometimes find small packages of them or, if you're going to be wiping down every day, put a full package in your luggage to carry on board.

Maybe it sounds funny, but I have a small package of Clorox wipes that goes in my purse. I wipe down the arm rests, seat belt fasteners and the tray tables when I fly and the handles on my luggage after anyone other than my DH and me touch them. If we rent a car, I wipe it down too. DH just rolls his eyes.

Someone suggested bringing disposable gloves on board, kind of tongue in cheek. I'm beginning to think that's not a bad suggestion. Wear them outside of your cabin and dispose of them when you get where you're going.

I also wipe down airplane tray tables, arm rests etc with alcohol wipes. I tend to walk the stairs and not use the handrails. If I have to use the elevator I hit the buttons with my knuckles. I do like the idea of bringing gloves since you do have a lot of doors to open. I have read about the salt and pepper but watch out for the menus which are handled by a number of people. I also use the alcohol swipe to do the computer and mouse at the Internet Center. I am not afraid of germs but whatever I can do to cut down the number of germs and cut down my chances of me getting sick I will do it.

Sali

I am so sorry to hear about the Crown returning to FLL and the cruise being cancelled. I hope all passengers make a full recovery soon. Norovirus is rife at the moment almost everywhere. We have schools being closed because of it in the UK.

Princess cannot be blamed for this and at least they are doing the right thing by giving all passengers a complete refund and reimbursing other expenses. P&O had norovirus on the Aurora over Christmas and continued it's cruise with passengers confined to cabins, functions cancelled etc. No compensation was given and some passengers were charged for medication from the ship's doctor. The ship returned to Southampton at the end of the cruise and loaded up with passengers to commence the world cruise. What happened? another outbreak of the virus almost straight away. There was almost no adverse publicity as the cruising schedule was not interrupted.

I am sorry for everyone missing their vacation and also being ill.

I suggest bringing plastic zip lock bags in a variety of sizes, some items, such as channel chagers, handles on faucets in your room, can be wiped off but still have crevices that harbor germs. I simply cover these items, and might be tempted to bring plastic wrap and painters tape to cover light switches, etc.

For those of you thinking of bringing Clorox wipes onboard... most of them do NOT contain bleach:

http://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-disinfecting-wipes/faq/

(7th question down)

Same with Lysol and such. To kill Noro virus, my understanding is that you need to find a product that includes BLEACH. Most wipes probably won't cut it!

I recently returned home from a holiday throughout Asia. In every airport, and most every port, we were required to pass by a device that read out our temp. Maybe it is time that cruise ships do this to. Asking pax if they are sick is not enough. Few if any will truthly answer these questions, even if they are sick. They know that they will be better in a couple of days. It is sad, that in this world, we all have to pay a price for the acts of a few. My thoughts are with the pax, the crew and of course Princess in these troubled times.

Archived