bringing food to shore from cruise

starbrite911

That's on of the biggest waste of taxpayer money.

All you have to do is say no....

Lying is such a good idea. :rolleyes:

It can get you arrested and put in jail in some countries to lie to their customs officials. Fines and penalties can be very high.

You are a guest in their country and are expected to abide by their laws/rules whether you agree with them or not....same as in U.S. You aren't permitted to bring those same food items off a ship into a U.S. port.

We were pulled out of line once because the sniffer dog smelled fruit. We had had an apple in the bag the day before and he still picked up on it. Once they looked inside and we explained we were free to go. We had to think about it first though :D. We thought we were innocent LOL.

When we did the Australia/New Zealand cruise I learned from CC that you weren't allowed to bring food into the country but if you did to make sure you declared it. Great advice. My brother had brought beef jerky for the kids to eat on the plane. He got off and declared it. Boy, are we glad he did. Those little doggies kept coming up on him and pegging him. I think other people in the lines were wondering why they kept going to him and why customs ignored it. Also, during that trip we took off snacks for the little ones. The guys were a little more lenient when they saw the ages of the kids - meaning they understood us taking all the snacks (like goldfish etc.)

Lying is such a good idea. :rolleyes:

It can get you arrested and put in jail in some countries to lie to their customs officials. Fines and penalties can be very high.

When we were in South Australia in 2001, the fine at that time for bringing fruits or vegetables into that state was $20,000 Austrailian dollars

For us, one of the biggest joys is eating in port and finding that out of the way food vendor, local food or street vendor, cerviche octopus tacos in Ensenada, Gibnut/Royal Rat in Belize etc...

Last month we were running late on Grand Cayman and had turtle earliar, not wanting to leave without the delicacies oxtail & stewed cowsfoot behind, we ordered it to go. Got to the last tender and brought it aboard to eat in our cabin. Great snickers and looks when we asked for them to be careful with the dripping to-go boxes as the inspection and x-raying took place. Plus the smells were awesome, I think some of the Legend crew was salivating.

That's on of the biggest waste of taxpayer money.

All you have to do is say no....

Absolutely, say no if you're not carrying anything you aren't supposed to bring into the state. If you are carrying banned items, say yes and turn them over to the border authority. If you lie, thanks a whole lot for not giving a damn about the local ecology and economy. You think it's a waste of taxpayer money, but have you any idea how costly it is when infestations occur? I have lived through not just the huge Medfly problem many years ago, but numerous other pests and pathogens that have cost millions of dollars and countless hours of manpower. It costs a whole lot more to fix the problem then it does to try to prevent it in the first place.

I've never seen anyone checking what's in your bag as you get off in a port, so no one's checking for sandwiches etc..Some ships even offer a boxed lunch...

You say this and then wonder why some of us might jump on you about such an attitude? What else could you possibly mean but "go ahead and break the law if no one is looking because why should we care about the welfare and laws of the places we visit"? Those box lunches are always, always approved in advance and generally do not contain fresh items from the ship. If there are fresh items, they are usually provided locally.

It may depend on the cruise line you are sailing with. You might want to ask in the section for that line.

Actually, it doesn't depend on the cruise line. It depends on the countries/ports and their specific laws. For example, Australia forbids items (nuts and cereal grains, for example) that are allowed at many other ports (even Hawaii, Alaska, and California allow pre-packaged nuts and unopened boxes of cereal).

beachchick

Absolutely, say no if you're not carrying anything you aren't supposed to bring into the state. If you are carrying banned items, say yes and turn them over to the border authority. If you lie, thanks a whole lot for not giving a damn about the local ecology and economy. You think it's a waste of taxpayer money, but have you any idea how costly it is when infestations occur? I have lived through not just the huge Medfly problem many years ago, but numerous other pests and pathogens that have cost millions of dollars and countless hours of manpower. It costs a whole lot more to fix the problem then it does to try to prevent it in the first place.

You say this and then wonder why some of us might jump on you about such an attitude? What else could you possibly mean but "go ahead and break the law if no one is looking because why should we care about the welfare and laws of the places we visit"? Those box lunches are always, always approved in advance and generally do not contain fresh items from the ship. If there are fresh items, they are usually provided locally.

Actually, it doesn't depend on the cruise line. It depends on the countries/ports and their specific laws. For example, Australia forbids items (nuts and cereal grains, for example) that are allowed at many other ports (even Hawaii, Alaska, and California allow pre-packaged nuts and unopened boxes of cereal).

beachchick

Your ranting & flame throwing isn't necessary, as you're a little late...Change lanes and move on.. enough said on this subject !!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

[quote name='starbrite911']Thank you everyone for your help:) I think we will fill up at breakfast, and maybe we can find packaged snacks in a shop like crackers and chips or else just go back to the boat for lunch:)[/QUOTE]

You can usually get those little boxes of cereal at breakfast.

[quote name='Ashland'][B]Your ranting & flame throwing isn't necessary, as you're a little late...Change lanes and move on.. enough said on this subject !!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:[/B][/quote]

Sorry, but I agree with Beachchick that you made it sound like it was acceptable. That's certainly how I felt when I read your comment. I don't think she's ranted or flamed you.... she just disagreed with you, as do a lot of us.

Box lunches? Haven't seen those since the 1980's. For Langley Cruisers, we did an excursion to Tulum (I think that was it) in Mexico. They actually packed us a lunch in a bag. It was huge - a half chicken, apple and I don't remember what else but there is no way we could eat it all. But, again, that was over 25 years ago.

[quote name='matj2000'][SIZE=3]That's on of the biggest waste of taxpayer money.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]All you have to do is say no....[/SIZE]
[/quote]

[COLOR=Red]I hope if you ever do come to California, you respect the law about bringing in fruits and vegetables as we residents hate it when the state agricultural department has to spray for infestations caused by people sneaking in these items. Besides, fruit and veggies grown here are pretty delicious so we take our farming industry very serious.[/COLOR]

[quote name='ladybug1s']Are we allowed to bring juice boxes on the cruise? I know we can bring snacks;) that would be great if this were allowed![/quote]

When our girl was younger, we did bring on juice boxes on Carnival, back that was in 2001 and 2002. I would ask first. If you're told no, you can bring on a sippy cup and have a waiter fill it with juice.

[quote name='notentirelynormal']Sorry, but I agree with Beachchick that you made it sound like it was acceptable. .... she just disagreed with you, as do a lot of us.[/quote]

:D

[quote name='notentirelynormal']Box lunches? Haven't seen those since the 1980's. ... But, again, that was over 25 years ago.[/quote]

Yes, figured it was some time ago. I can't think of anyone doing it these days. The different lines go to the same ports with the same agricultural rules and regulations for all; no special treatment for one line over another.

[quote name='Ashland'][B]Your ranting & flame throwing isn't necessary, as you're a little late...Change lanes and move on.. enough said on this subject !!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:[/B][/quote]

Those aren't rants or flaming. They are the result of first-hand experience with careless or selfish "imports" of pests. Apparently it is [I]not [/I]enough said on the subject when there are still people who think it's okay to break the agricultural laws of the places we visit. I will continue to post on threads like this if it makes even one person understand the reasons for the laws and the consequences for breaking them. Besides, you don't get to decide when it is too late to add to a discussion.

I am kind of shocked that someone who lives in southern CA would take such a casual attitude. You see the news, I presume, so you know what we're fighting on an ongoing basis.

beachchick

[quote name='beachchick']Those aren't rants or flaming. They are the result of first-hand experience with careless or selfish "imports" of pests... [U]I will continue to post on threads like this if it makes even one person understand the reasons for the laws and the consequences for breaking them[/U].[/quote]

Agreed, and I appreciate your input.

[quote name='beachchick']Besides, you don't get to decide when it is too late to add to a discussion.... [/quote]

Also agreed; that's why these boards are here. Ashland loves to say to other members "Change lanes and move on!!!" quite a bit. I've learned to consider the source. :o

[quote name='Langley Cruisers']Agreed, and I appreciate your input.

Also agreed; that's why these boards are here. Ashland loves to say to other members "Change lanes and move on!!!" quite a bit. I've learned to consider the source. :o[/quote]
[B]Sorry beachchick & Langley Cruiser for any misunderstanding I have created :o..I will move over to the slow lane and stay out of your way..No need to continue to vilify me:)[/B]

[quote name='alicam']Maybe a look at this website would provide some insight into why things should not be taken off ship....seeing as you are from Southern California...

[URL]http://www.commercialdiplomacy.org/case_study/case_medfly1.htm[/URL][/QUOTE]

I was an ag student beginning in 1950, LONG before the date in this article. California was actively battling the Medfly even then, and entrance to CA included physical search for prohibited ag items. Even shipping from Texas to Calif. requires strict monitoring, a few years ago including fumigation of citrus.

Archived