Curious - Coco Cay

mscruise64

Any recent past sailers out there? Was wondering if you were able to get into Coco Cay on your recent trip?

Not to be a downer or anything but it seems the Freedom of the Seas hasnt been able to make the stop lately :(

Hopefully you will be able to make it! I really like Coco Cay!

Any recent past sailers out there? Was wondering if you were able to get into Coco Cay on your recent trip?

I have been on (3) cruises that had Coco Cay as a stop and have only made it there once. We were the only tender that was allowed to go and we were only on the island for 30 minutes and they made everyone leave the island due to rough seas. The ride back on the tender was like a roller coaster. :)

We made it for our NYE cruise. Have been lucky and have made it the last 4 times

we have been scheduled to be there. Once they flip flopped the Nassau stop to

be able to make Coco Cay on a better weather forecast.

Not so lucky sometimes at Grand Cayman at times. :(

Whats the point in having a port of call that seems to get missed so much. I almsot feel like RCI should put an *** by Coco Cay on all their sailings so people know their is only a chance you get to visit Coco Cay when they are making their bookings. It would be more truthful and then people wouldn't be as disapointed when it gets missed.

We are two for two in May and made it once in early November. It does seem like the success rate in May is much better than some other times, but I have a question for those of you who went to Coco Cay on Freedom. Assuming good weather how is tendering on such a big ship at this port. Our first experience with Coco Cay had both Majesty and Sovereign there on the same day and that was a total disaster. I think I saw more tenders and an improved dock when I was there in '10. (I'm considering Freedom for 2013)

I'm 1 for 3 at Coco Cay. Made it on Freedom of the Seas in Sept. 2010, missed it on Majesty of the Seas Dec. 2010, and missed it again on Majesty in Nov. 2011.

Food for thought, although Coco Cay gets missed alot due to weather/rough conditions, any port a ship is scheduled into could be missed. My Sept. 2010 Freedom cruise we could not dock in St. Maarten due to heavy swells from a hurricane 200 miles away. The weather was beautiful but the sea conditions prevented the ship from docking, no need to risk damaging the ship or pier.

We were last there in January this year. We have made it there about 75% of the time (see our cruise history for Sovereign, Monarch, Mariner and Freedom). We were on the island for just an hour once when the weather turned and we had to return to the ship immediately. Majesty guests were stuck there overnight some years ago. It was not a pleasant experience. I would rather miss it than go through what they did. Thanks to RCL and the island manager for not taking needless risks!

Since this is their private island you would think that enhancements could be made to the anchorage area that would include a sea wall to provide a break from the waves. What is the sense of having the island if it is missed so much??? The only other stop I have heard problems with at times is Bermuda given the narrow entry.

Quick question for those that missed CoCo Cay.....did you have a 'sea day' or did you deviate to another port? If you deviated, where did you go (Key West)?

We are on a 'quickie' cruise from Port Canaveral to Coco Cay/Nassau on the Monarch and just was wonderring what we'd do if weather/seas were bad.

Quick question for those that missed CoCo Cay.....did you have a 'sea day' or did you deviate to another port? If you deviated, where did you go (Key West)?

We are on a 'quickie' cruise from Port Canaveral to Coco Cay/Nassau on the Monarch and just was wonderring what we'd do if weather/seas were bad.

Good question! It would be nice to go to another port but Im not sure if thats feasible or not.

If memory serves me correctly, on a 3 night Monarch cruise, Coco Cay stop is Sunday. So Im guessing if you cant stop there, they just go ahead and make it a sea day and sail slowly back to Port Canaveral.

Actually we are doing the Monday - Friday trip. Tuesday is out Coco Cay day with an entire Wednesday at Nassau.

I would think that the captain would pretty much know what they seas were in Coco Cay before we left Monday night, so it might be possible to deviate to another port.

Just didn't know if anyone had this happen to them.

For Monarch, on the 3 day, if you miss Coco Cay, you just get a sea day. On the 4 day, if you miss Coco Cay on Tuesday, they usually go to Nassau, spend the night, then try Coco Cay again on Thursday. If they make it on Thursday, then they share Coco Cay with Majesty, which suprisingly is not a big deal at all.

All of our misses on Sovereign class were on 4 night cruises where we either went on to Nassau early and stayed overnight, had a day at sea or tried on the way back to PC. Sometimes the try on the way home got us onto Coco Cay.

We made it for our NYE cruise. Have been lucky and have made it the last 4 times

we have been scheduled to be there. Once they flip flopped the Nassau stop to

be able to make Coco Cay on a better weather forecast.

Yikes! I wish I hadn't read that. We have 40 friends and family on the Monarch with us for a wedding cruise in June. We're getting married in Nassau on Saturday. If the ship switched to Sunday, well - that would make things very interesting.....

Yikes! I wish I hadn't read that. We have 40 friends and family on the Monarch with us for a wedding cruise in June. We're getting married in Nassau on Saturday. If the ship switched to Sunday, well - that would make things very interesting.....

Congratulations on your wedding. I am sending good wishes that it will all be

perfect and you will make your schedule just fine! :)

We are going on the Freedom March 25. We only have 3 ports. Do you have any idea what they do if you cant make it to Coco Cay? As it is we have 3 days a sea. I was curious what they would do. Thanks Bill

we were there in January and had no problems. :)

Depending on the availability of a berth it might be possible for them to take you to Nassau. Since they usually won't know whether or not it is possible to stop at Coco Cay until that day, they are pretty much limited in what alternatives they can offer.

We are going on the Freedom March 25. We only have 3 ports. Do you have any idea what they do if you cant make it to Coco Cay? As it is we have 3 days a sea. I was curious what they would do. Thanks Bill

If Freedom misses Coco Cay, its just another sea day unfortunately :( It has me worried a little too but Im gonna try not to stress about it....Im just not crazy about the thought of 4 full days at sea, even on a Freedom class ship but I booked the Eastern route knowing all this so will deal with it if and when it happens.

Archived