What happens if you can't pay your bill?

kifler

Entirely out of curiosity, what happens if you hop on board, use your card as you normally would but your card was cancelled during the sailing or you've exceeded your credit limit?

Do they get you to sign a payment contract? Throw you in debtors prison? Make you mop the decks?

If your bill is not paid, as you try to leave the ship, your SeaPass card will "bong", and someone from Guest Services will take you aside to make provisions for payment. Maybe you have friends with you that can lend you some cash or a credit card. You may have to call someone to get a valid credit card number. They will make every effort to rectify the situation before you are allowed to leave.

As said previously, they put a hold on your credit card in advance for what they feel is what you 'could' spend (it's some ridiculously high number like $60/day!)

If you use cash or exceed that amount I thought I read somewhere that they make you sign some type of IOU prior to departing the ship.

If you don’t do that, they feed you to the sharks! (JK :eek:)

As said previously, they put a hold on your credit card in advance for what they feel is what you 'could' spend (it's some ridiculously high number like $60/day!)

If you use cash or exceed that amount I thought I read somewhere that they make you sign some type of IOU prior to departing the ship.

I wish I could limit myself to $60/day.:p

Entirely out of curiosity, what happens if you hop on board, use your card as you normally would but your card was cancelled during the sailing or you've exceeded your credit limit?

Do they get you to sign a payment contract? Throw you in debtors prison? Make you mop the decks?

I believe they keep you on board to wash dishes for $10.00 a day until you pay off your debt:D:D:D:D

This kind of happened to me on my 1st cruise on Premier's Big Red Boat years and years ago. Druing the cruise MasterCard suspected fraud due to purchases made in port and froze my account. BTW, I did notify both my bank and MasterCard that I would be out of the country. At the end of the crusie I had to go to the purser's desk and call the 800 #. MC explained everything to the cruise line but could not get the freeze off before debarkation. Premier was fine with the whole thing and kindly sent me an invoice in the mail which I paid with a check. Of course this was back before the days of MAC or debit cards and that cruise line is bye bye so I am not sure what is done now. Peeling potatoes and scrubbing toilets maybe?

Yes, they do post an estimate of what of they think you'll spend on your card. They actually posted thousands of dollars on my card. Typically, they remove it once you're off the ship, but the last time I cruised that was not the case. The credit card company said that RCL didn't remove it, when in fact the credit card company was the problem. It was finally resolved over a week later after 2 three way calls between RCL and the credit card company. It was a huge pain!

I have seen a line of people at the pursurs desk and heard the grumblings that their SeaPass was denied because they were out of money...

Could you imagine getting half way through your vacation only to find out you have no more funds in the 'Fun-Fund'???!!! Sorry kids, no more sodas for the week... Sorry honey, no more drink of the day... No dear, you can't get that lovely ring a 70% off... Have to sit by the pool and watch everyone else have fun...

To minimise the chance of a card being declined or frozen due to purchases made away from the UK (my bank does not take note of travel plans in order to reduce the chance of fraud by people claiming to be you awya from home) I use cash. I will open the account with a card but will make cash payments (using travellers cheques) during the cruise.

So no chance of an outstanding balance at the end and no credit card bill to face I get home.

I was on a B2B on Sovereign and witnessed this. The HD (Adriana Tibidou (sp?)) explained later to me that when someone has an unsettled account. First they ask the cruiser if there is any family or friends onboard that would lend them the money. This particular gentleman was allowed to call his father who had debarked earlier, to return to the ship to pay his son's account (daddy was almost back to Orlando when he got the call!). Adriana then said if there is no help, then all they can do is have the cruiser sign a Promissory Note and let him/her go. She didn't say if RCI then follows up and badgers the cruiser for payment or turn them over to a collection agency.

Yes, they do post an estimate of what of they think you'll spend on your card. They actually posted thousands of dollars on my card. Typically, they remove it once you're off the ship, but the last time I cruised that was not the case. The credit card company said that RCL didn't remove it, when in fact the credit card company was the problem. It was finally resolved over a week later after 2 three way calls between RCL and the credit card company. It was a huge pain!

This is exactly why I only ever set up a cash account now, happened to me twice First hour on the ship I but money on my account and the night before I either settle up or collect my refund!

We too use a cash only account, I had problems with my bank thinking a purchase was fraud and actually closing my DH's account!!! Like two days before our last cruise, if we had not been calling to notify our bank of our travel plans we would not have known that they'd cancelled the DH's card, we had to go to the bank to have a new one made.

Anyways...to keep from having any surprises or embarrassment we always use cash account, because the first time we didn't do this and like two hours after sail away at the bar the sea pass card was declined due to 'lack of funds' ..WTH? WE'd not even used 20$ charge so far... A call to the pursers desk cleared it up, but how embarrassing when we were buying a round of drinks for the new couple we'd been talking with!! We went by and changed to a cash only account after hearing other couples complain about problems their cards. No more trouble so we use cash account on all our cruises. We check our balance when we return to the room each night and can take care of any discrepancies immediately and not days later...we just add more to it if it starts getting low.....never had a problem with using cash $$$:rolleyes:

I know a lot of people think cash is king but I like double points on my RCCL credit card! When we board it has a zero balance & BOA has been notified we're cruising. If we make a purchase in port it's with a different card & we each have our own account so if there's ever a problem, we've got it covered.

On a recent cruise someone in our group had a problem with the card they used for their Sea Pass account a couple of days into the trip. She woke up in the morning with a note under her door to visit guest services. She went down and switched cards and all was good. So yes, they don't wait until the end of the cruise to charge your card.

like two hours after sail away at the bar the sea pass card was declined due to 'lack of funds' ..WTH? WE'd not even used 20$ charge so far...

Well, I guess this answers my question if I can or cannot use my seapass card until my OBC shows up :( I have 100.00 OBC through RCI and was going to purchase 500.00 more through Gifts and Gear and was hoping with copies of my invoices showing proof that I would be allowed to use my seapass without a cash deposit until it all showed up on my account.

Im going cash account this time as well so I guess I will just purchase 500.00 worth of travelers checks.........I dont like carrying a lot of cash on me.

You are made to walk the plank.

I know a lot of people think cash is king but I like double points on my RCCL credit card! When we board it has a zero balance & BOA has been notified we're cruising. If we make a purchase in port it's with a different card & we each have our own account so if there's ever a problem, we've got it covered.

This is exactly how I roll too. Zero balance and double points for us!

when you try to leave the ship and get a dong instead of a ding you get stopped and security comes and gets you after that I don't know

To protect themselves they get a daily approval from the CC company to cover the days charges. Just like a hotel that gets a pre approval before you check out.

We've never had that happen to us. A guest services manager once told us that they don't put any kind of pre-approval hold on the credit cards shoreside. On the short cruises they have no way to know onboard whether a card is good or not until the end of the cruise. I can't fathom why they wouldn't do what cruisindoggie suggests and do a daily check - surely it could be done by computer. And they have a fabulous IT department, as we all know...

Archived