What happens if you can't pay your bill?

kifler

We just had this problem on the Allure a month ago. On the third day of the cruise Guest Services called to tell us the Mastercard was declined. They gave us the option to call the bank or to use another credit card. We used another credit card. No idea why the Master Card declined. We do not carry a balance on it. This thread just reminded us that we forgot to call the credit card company when we got home to find out why it was declined! They didnt even attempt to inform us/ask us if we are using the card internationally or perhaps it was fraudulent use.

Entirely out of curiosity, what happens if you hop on board, use your card as you normally would but your card was cancelled during the sailing or you've exceeded your credit limit?

Do they get you to sign a payment contract? Throw you in debtors prison? Make you mop the decks?

My friend that worked on cruise ship said that a cruiser disputed some charges on their bill and refused to pay. The captain would not let anyone get off the ship. She said many ppl missed their flights. Captain can hold u for any reason.

I've heard the bong. Happened to us 2 years ago on Oasis... getting off the ship with all our friends and "bong" we didn't know what happened. We were sent to guest relations and told AMEX denied our charges that day. They approved all 6 other days, but not that one. We were within our limit, so didn't get it. Rather than call and wait for AMEX on phone I just handed them visa, that went through and we got off the ship. But yes very embarrassing and a first in my years of cruising. Banks are just more fraud crazy these days.

Here's another scenario though... banks are lowering credit limits like crazy now with the downed economy. I had a friend who had their limit on their card lowered while out of country They went on vacaiton budgeted an amount to spend, and while in Europe, card declined. Bank chose to lower their limit by 10K!

And I always wondered why so many people used cash accounts onboard.... now I get it.

Knock on wood, other than my minor Oasis hiccup we've been really lucky.

They will charge different amounts to your credit card while onboard.

I just got off the Oasis sailing from 2/4 - 2/11. The different authorizations and charges to my credit card went like this.

2/9 $89.00

2/10 $161.76

2/10 $194.60

2/10 $18.17

The $89.00 charge was the Tuxedo rental and the $194.60 charge was the gratuities but I don't know how they figure the other charges. On the last morning all pre authorized charges are gone and your final total is charged.

Being a first time cruiser last year I registered a debit card. All went through fine on the ship on the last day and bill was paid wihtout a hiitch. It wasnt until I got home that I tried to use the card that should have had plenty of money on it, only for it to be refused and the band saying I was £600 over drawn!!

Turns out every time I signed a slip for my sea pass they put a hold on the moeny in my account. On the final day they then also took the final amount. It took over 7 days for all the holds they had put on to clear and for the 'apparent' over draft to return to the proper balance and put me back in credit! Took a lot of arguing with my bank for them to see what RCCL had done and that i hadnt spent beyond my means!

Being a first time cruiser last year I registered a debit card. All went through fine on the ship on the last day and bill was paid wihtout a hiitch. It wasnt until I got home that I tried to use the card that should have had plenty of money on it, only for it to be refused and the band saying I was £600 over drawn!!

Turns out every time I signed a slip for my sea pass they put a hold on the moeny in my account. On the final day they then also took the final amount. It took over 7 days for all the holds they had put on to clear and for the 'apparent' over draft to return to the proper balance and put me back in credit! Took a lot of arguing with my bank for them to see what RCCL had done and that i hadnt spent beyond my means!

That has always been a major issue with using debit cards.

Archived