I'm going to propose!!

windward1989

Hi everyone! I'm planning to propose to my boyfriend on our cruise on the Grand Princess in 20 days! I'm really excited! I was planning to order a bottle of champagne and a single rose and having it delivered to our stateroom before dinner on the first formal night, then taking him out to somewhere fairly quiet on deck to ask him, but now I'm thinking that would be a bit awkward (and windy). Does anyone have a better idea? I definitely want it to be a low key, private thing-- so no getting up on stage in front of a bunch of people or anything like that. :p What do you think? Thanks!

Are you sure he'll say yes? 'Cause if not, that could make the rest of the cruise kinda awkward . . .

If you're looking at an evening proposal, I think the Promenade Deck would be a good choice -- there are seldom very many people out and about there in the evening, so fairly easy to find a quiet spot. Unless the weather is acting up, it's not likely to be anything more than a pleasant breeze.

As for champagne and a rose, well, champers is nice but were you going to shlep the bottle around the ship with you? He might think it a bit odd . . . Maybe better to have it stashed away in the cabin fridge for later. Or, once he says yes, just pop in to the nearest bar and have a waiter bring you a bottle and glasses.

Do you have a balcony? If so, doing the Ultimate Balcony Dinner would be the perfect opportunity for a proposal. It includes time with a photographer, plus flowers and champagne (as well as a fabulous dinner). I don't know if the $100 is in your budget, but it would definitely be memorable (and very private).

I like the idea of a photo. Unfortunately we're in an interior stateroom, so no balcony.

Oh yes, I'm sure he'll say yes. We've had conversations about it and I know he wants to. I think this would be a great way to tell him that I really do want to get married :)

Thanks for suggesting the Promenade deck, rdsqrl.

Sounds like a wonderful way to start your life together. Is there a chance he might ask you? Would you rather have him ask you? and if so, maybe you should hold off until the last night and ask him if he doesn't ask you.

You can also purchase a future cruise credit to use for you honeymoon cruise.

Promenade deck late at night, on the port or starboard side . Fewer people will be out if you wait until 11pm or later. Save the champagne for the room, go back and celebrate. Hope all goes well. Princess offers celebration packages under onboard experience, gifts, services, Celebrations.

You don't have to have a balcony for the ultimate balcony dinner. They will set up in an interior room too. If you want an outside location, the promenade deck is nice as well as the very back of the ship on deck 12 at the Terace pool area. We have been there at night and there is usually no one there and there is little to no wind back there either.

You don't have to have a balcony for the ultimate balcony dinner. They will set up in an interior room too. If you want an outside location, the promenade deck is nice as well as the very back of the ship on deck 12 at the Terace pool area. We have been there at night and there is usually no one there and there is little to no wind back there either.

I was going to suggest this as well, I just wasn't 100% sure if you could do the UBD in an interior room or not as I have not done it. It really sounds like a private place for that moment if that is what she wants.

OP, Congratulations!

I was going to suggest this as well, I just wasn't 100% sure if you could do the UBD in an interior room or not as I have not done it. It really sounds like a private place for that moment if that is what she wants.

OP, Congratulations!

Plus it would include a photo as well as flowers....

Hi,

We were on the Star last June and went to the Chef's Table dinner. A young man (after 65 everybody is young) arranged to have the ring placed into the dessert and proposed to his future bride when it was presented to her. She and everyone there was surprised and delighted.

ps. She said YES!

If it were me, this is what I would do.

Reserve dinner for two at one of the Specialty venues, either Sabatini's or Crown Grill for formal night as soon as possible after boarding ship. Do this by calling the DINE number from stateroom or go to Passenger Services to arrange. Let them know the occasion. Let them know of anything special you want for the occasion. See if a photographer can be available for the time needed at dinner. Being formal night, I am confident there will be an ample supply of photographers.

Your ideas may be very different from mine, but just do what would make both of you happy. An interior plan seems more reliable to me.

All the best to both of you. How exciting!

Hi There

Some other options,

The wedding chaple is often open why not ask him if he wants to have a look saying may be we could get married on a ship .

Or write a letter to the captain ask him for a visit to the bridge telling him why, you might get an invite

or you can always go public and have it shown on MUTS,

have a great time what ever your pick

yours Shogun

Have you asked his parents for permission? Call me old fashioned, but I loved that our sons asked their wive's parents permission and my SIL asked our permission before asking our daughter. :) It shows respect for the fact that a marriage joins families together, not just two people.

To the few of you who are questioning my motives: I had hoped my previous post would have put this to rest, but apparently not. Having been in my relationship for over two years, I'm pretty sure I know how gauge what the best actions to take are. The question I posed to you was how to make this a special occasion for me and my boyfriend with the services offered on the ship. I was not asking for relationship advice. Thank you though.

To those of you offering helpful suggestions: I'm loving these ideas guys. Thanks a lot-- it really helps. I'm getting a much better idea of what options are out there on the ship and how I can have the crew help me. This isn't my first cruise, but we usually just go with the flow-- this will be the first time I'm planning something really special for him. I'm really very excited to show him just how much I care for him by telling him I want to spend the rest of our lives together. :)

Archived