NCL vs. Land Vacation

SuperTrooper00

I was asking in another thread about the Epic, but wanted to ask a more general question. We are a family of 4 (Boys 3 and 5) and have only ever done land vacations together. My wife and I have cruised several times and love it.

Land vacations have always worked best for us for numerous reasons, and we have found them to be a bit cheaper as well.

However, we have begun to consider doing a cruise on one of NCL's larger ships (Epic more than likely) because of their abundance of kid friendly activities they we think our boys would love: Water Slides, Bowling Alley, Blue Man, etc.

I would love to get some of your opinions, especially those with younger children. Can someone compare the cruise experience to a land vaca for us? It would help us as we make this decision. Thanks

I can honestly say, give it a try.

The Epic is probably more like a land vacation than other ships you might encounter. There are more than a dozen eating options, lots of entertainment, and (as you mentioned) the pools and slides, plus the "freestyle" approach where you eat where you want and when you want. You get the added bonus of visiting several different foreign ports, all with their own characteristics. The Epic has a HUGE kids club too, so you and the spouse should be able to spend some private time together. I think they would enjoy a cruise more when older since they would appreciate all the things they would see, but when my kids were that age we did a DCL cruise and they had a great time.

Everybody should give cruising a try, and you could do a lot worse than the Epic. Make sure to read my review (link in my signature area). A family balcony room would be perfect for you.

Good luck with your choice!

In my family, we love to cruise, with three girls, ages 8, 6 and 3. We compared the price of a Disney World vacation and the cruise was far more inclusive than (for us) a long drive to FL and the exhaustion of walking around DW. We love been able to travel without flying, leaving from NYC or Boston and going to some great destinations.

The kids activities are first class. All three loved getting involved, especially the you her ones who did a pirate parade. On our trip coming up in a few weeks, we will spend lots of time doing Nickleodeon character meets. There are pools, water slides, face painting. And that is just the ship. We also visit FL, and can opt to go to the theme parks that way, but what we love most are the Bahamian beaches.

When you factor in in accommodation, food, entertainment, travel, etc, you cannot beat cruising value compared to land based vacations! There is a reason cruising is one of the fastest growing segments of the travel business.

But that is my experience and opinion. I think you will find many others who share that though.

Hope you choose to cruise, and have a great time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our kids have been cruising with us since they were 2 and 7 (they're 9 and 14 now). They prefer to cruise over a land vacation. They love to visit a few different countries in one week (without the hassle of flying). They love exploring the ship and all the hidden places. We've never sailed the Epic and have found plenty of kid-friendly activities on board. Go for it!

Our first family vacation (5 boys), where we went somewhere to go somewhere for the sake of getting away and not visiting family and the like, was to Washington, DC. Our second family vaction was a 4 day cruise on the Sky. When we added all of the expenses up for both vacations the Sky was the better deal, even if we added in the expenses involved in getting there (which involved driving to DC or the port). The food, entertainment and activities were better on the cruise and they were included whereas on the land vacation we had to budget every meal and activity.

We haven't been able to swing airfare for the family yet, even with two of the boys off on their semi-own, but another child flies the coop in a year and a half and then it will be feasible which will increase our options. (I have also priced AI's and cruising, for a family, wins hands down there, too, primarily because you pay the same per person rate for everyone at an AI.)

I was asking in another thread about the Epic, but wanted to ask a more general question. We are a family of 4 (Boys 3 and 5) and have only ever done land vacations together. My wife and I have cruised several times and love it.

Land vacations have always worked best for us for numerous reasons, and we have found them to be a bit cheaper as well.

However, we have begun to consider doing a cruise on one of NCL's larger ships (Epic more than likely) because of their abundance of kid friendly activities they we think our boys would love: Water Slides, Bowling Alley, Blue Man, etc.

I would love to get some of your opinions, especially those with younger children. Can someone compare the cruise experience to a land vaca for us? It would help us as we make this decision. Thanks

We cruised with my Daughter and family with small kids on the Gem. NCL is kids friendly. Still, my Daughter and her husband found touring the Med to be tiring, dragging small kids around for site seeing.

Also, recommend getting Ocean View, no balcony, since kids can fall overboard.

I have done both, and my kids have loved cruising and the kids club since they get to meet and play with others. There is also private babysitting but it is expensive and may not be available when needed, so just keep that in mind. Luckily, my kids have outgrown the babysitting part. Here are the pros and cons in my opinion:

PROS:

-Ship is contained and you know where your kids are

- kids clubs are organized and enjoyed by most kids

- meals are included (except for specialty) and on NCl you can eat whenever including rooms service

- you can travel to other citities without having to unpack

- you can have an adult dinner and while the kids do something with the club, but the kids club isn't 24 hours, last cruise for example it was open on Sea days from 9:00a - 10:30 pm.

CONS:

- Kids Club Tipping is expected and not part of the Daily Service Charge

- The ship pools are smaller and more crowded than a land vacation if this is important

- during bad weather - the pools could be closed - again if this is important

- your kid might not like the kids club

- your room will be way smaller on ship than a land vacation

- phoning home while on ship is super expensive

- wifi charges on ship are also super expensive - again compared to land vacation

- tv channels are limited on ship

My suggestion would be to also consider and compare the Dawn and the STAR in a specific family suite category (SJ). They are the only 2 NCL ships that offer this category and the bonus is that you get suite amenities. The room itself is the size of 2 cabins combined, plus you get to eat at Cagneys for lunch and breakfast, plus butler/concierge services. I haven't yet traveled the Epic, but would do a suite first if I could.

Keep asking questions till you are able to make your best choice and have fun planning.

Any cruise is the best .

I have been researching trips to the UK and Ireland and am convinced that a land trip would be superior to cruise. Many of the places that we want to see are inland and not practicable to visit on a cruise.

Also, going to central Europe is better with a land tour or DTY with the possible exception of a river cruise.

DD was so disappointed on their last cruise that they opted for a 6 night A-I in Cozumel. They spent almost exactly to the penny what they spent for their Carnival balcony the year before after you add in the couple of excursions they added on. She said the resort was beautiful, the food wonderful and all the drinks (of course) included...as were the gratuities! They had a $1500 resort credit spent for excursions including a swim with the dolphins one morning where they were the only ones there and she said it was the experience of a life-time!

They have a son (then 9) who went to some of the resort kids activities and enjoyed himself there.

Any vacation - with some planning - can be great, be it a cruise or a resort!!

I meant to add that I am not downing cruising. I love to cruise and it is the only vacation that I and my DH (we're seniors, by the way) consider taking. BUT it is not the end-all for everyone and there are a lot of options out there to explore!

When kids are very young, the only practical vacation is a resort type of vacation, either on land or on a cruise ship acting as a resort. You cannot do proper adventures or strenuous excursions. With a ship, at least you can have some entertainment and baby sitting.

We did a family cruise last year which included our 4 year old granddaughter, with the exception of the crowded cabin our granddaughter said she couldn't have had a betteer vacation with her little girl. We think it is better than almost anything, mainly due to the kids program. mommy and daddy were able to do more adult activities at night and Abby had a ball with her friends.

We cruised with my Daughter and family with small kids on the Gem. NCL is kids friendly. Still, my Daughter and her husband found touring the Med to be tiring, dragging small kids around for site seeing.

Also, recommend getting Ocean View, no balcony, since kids can fall overboard.

other side of story, I don't think a europian vacation of any kind can be much fun for young children. As for balcony cabins, if they kids are not toddlers I think a balcony is fine.

We spent 12 days in Puerto Rico this past December. We cruise often, this was our 1st land based vacation, outside of the US. We had very nice time, and saw so much of the island. Would we do it again? No. We loved the people of Puerto Rico, everyone was so friendly and enjoyed the rain forest and forts. The beaches were a little bit of a disappointment, other than Culebra Island. What hurt our vacation "budget" was food. Wow, I really under estimated how much we would eat(we rented a condo, cooked some meals, and ate out at least once a day) With the price of food and our rental van, the trip was at least $800 more than a cruise would have been. Funny thing, while touring Old San Juan, we walked past a couple ships that had docked and soooo wanted to just walk onboard. My dh has a very stressful job, and cruising is exactly what he needs. They just make everything so easy, that relaxing is all we have on our minds. I'm sure a land based vacation is a better deal if you travel all inclusive. Our kids love to cruise and enjoy the kids club. When asked what they missed from the ship, we were told our nighttime walks around the deck(something we do every night together) and being on the ocean. I missed our(dh and I) early morning walks when so much of the ship is still asleep. The sunrise is unbelievable.

other side of story, I don't think a europian vacation of any kind can be much fun for young children. As for balcony cabins, if they kids are not toddlers I think a balcony is fine.

I think you are correct about kids under 7 on European vacations. On balconies with kids, you don't know my Granddaughter. She is super active and would be climbing on the balcony in five minutes.

Great responses! I appreciate them, and keep them coming.

A little more info: Two years ago we took a trip to Hawaii. This was our first family vacation that we flew to. It could not have gone better. We got a screamin deal at the Westin Ocean Villas in Maui. We cooked breakfast and lunch every day in our kitchen, and even did dinner several times. We do not mind cooking, so that was not a negative for us. We spent every single day either at the beach or at the pool (which is what we love to do). It was incredibly relaxing, and a perfect fit for our family.

We can do the math on the financial part, so we don't really need advice there. It is just difficult not repeating that vacation when our boys talk about it all of the time.

However, we do think they would love many things about a cruise. They would also love an AI I would guess.

I have heard some (including on this board) not enjoy their cruise with kids or call it "exhausting". We definitely do not want to fork over money for something that might not go well, or be very tiring.

That is why I am asking for advice.

I dont have kids but I am a big kid at heart ;)

I have also thought about land vacations vs cruises. I like the excitment of a cruise, always going somewhere (even on sea days). On Epic there is so much to do and see that it is impossible to see and do it all. The slides on Epic are just as exciting for us adults and I would say more adults are seen using the slides as small kids. All the rock climbing, bowling, 2 story Wi wall, arcade, etc. I would see kids go crazy for these things. Then the excitment of the ports too. Epic is a ship you can never get bored.

I find land-based vacations more exhausting. On a ship everything you need is within a 1000 x 150 foot space. I don't have to drive. I don't have to find restaurants or go shopping, etc.

If I were you I would try a cruise. We can lay out our opinions all day, but unless you try one you won't know if you hate it, can't live without it, or something in between. Give it a go.

Archived