Tendering to Coxen Hole?

joie1016

Last time I was in Coxen Hole, tendering wasn't required. The ship pulled right up to the pier, which houses a tourist village you will be suggested to $hop at. :rolleyes: The town of Coxen Hole is a short walk out of this gated compound. There isn't really a beach there, but PLENTY of taxis will be available! The prices are negotiable and they get cheaper and cheaper the further you are from the tourist village. This is my favorite port of call, so I'm sure you will enjoy yourself... as long as you get out of that compound! :)

We've never had to tender in Coxen Hole ... even many years ago so not very likely you will need to worry about having to do so.

Mahogany Bay is the the new dock in Roatan. As mentioned by Colorado Kat, it's used by the Carnival Corp. family of ships (Carnival, Princess, HAL, etc.). We docked in Mahogany Bay last month on a Princess cruise and enjoyed it! :)

NCL Star itinerary and cruise docs says 'tendered'. I think they usually dock but it is a bit confusing for those of us who have never been there.

Would love input from those on the Star this year.

I haven't travelled yet, but our docs say that we will tender too. I'll be on the NCL Spirit.

Whether you tendor or not in Coxen Hole probably doesn't matter that much. Tendering might take an extra 30 minutes or so. Once you land at the pier you will find some shops and some places to eat. Across from the area you dock you will see a flea market of sorts to wander through if you want. Other than that, you will need to either take a taxi to an area on Roatan that you've decided you want to see or you need to arrange a tour through a company such as Victor Boddens. VB has a kiosk at the dock. To see this beautiful island (one of my favorite in the Caribbean) you will need to get out of the Coxen Hole area. I would suggest you google Victor Bodden tours and see if you like their options.

I haven't travelled yet, but our docs say that we will tender too. I'll be on the NCL Spirit.

I believe you're there on the 15th. A Costa ship, Atlantica, is also scheduled in Coxen Hole for that day, so you might tender.

Re the NCL Star, monicajay, a co-worker and his family were on this ship in December. They docked but their itinerary also said"tender". for all port schedules in March, it does appear that the Star is the only ship scheduled for Coxen Hole on the days she's in Roatan.

We have a tour booked with Victor Bodden, so if we do tender (we are on the Star) there shoulded be a problem?

Not at all. Victor's kiosk is just under the stairway at the shopping area at the pier where the tender will bring you. And believ eme, he'll know if you're tendering or not. BTW, on the 28th of Feb, the NCL Star is the only ship on the island, so you'll be docking.

Not at all. Victor's kiosk is just under the stairway at the shopping area at the pier where the tender will bring you. And believ eme, he'll know if you're tendering or not. BTW, on the 28th of Feb, the NCL Star is the only ship on the island, so you'll be docking.

Just wondering, crewsweeper, how do you find out how many ships are in the port on what day? I guess I'm new at this.

Thanks for you help, Louloubelle

Our edocs say anchor but that didn't seem right to me. I'm sure you're right and Victor knows exactly what is going on!

Am I the only one who prefers 'The Hole' to Mahogany?

The name is Coxen Hole, Maybe not the best that is be named after a pirate but that is the name none the less is for the main town on the Island, In the past it was called Calkett’s Hole and it is also referred to as Roatan Town,.

Coxen Hole began with many fmilies from slave trading and many cayman immigrant sea turtle hunters who were a proud bunch, PLEASE do not disrespect the history with your nicknames, if they were nicknames usd by local hondurans then thats one thing but this post just comes accross as degrading and makes one think you maybe are one better to visit the man made tourist ready port of Mahogany Bay

Calling Coxen Hole "The Hole" doesn't seem degrading to me, but then again, I do speak English fluently!

Maybe Monkeylala is right though. :rolleyes: We should respect the original name of this place... or one of the other names it has been given. :confused: We should do this out of respect for the slave traders and turtle hunters that designated this place... anything else is just disrespectful to the history of such fine people. :eek:

Calling Coxen Hole "The Hole" doesn't seem degrading to me, but then again, I do speak English fluentlly

And that matters in a place where Spanish is the officil language? I wonder how fluent you are in second language?

Calling Coxen Hole "The Hole" doesn't seem degrading to me, but then again, I do speak English fluently!

Maybe Monkeylala is right though. :rolleyes: We should respect the original name of this place... or one of the other names it has been given. :confused: We should do this out of respect for the slave traders and turtle hunters that designated this place... anything else is just disrespectful to the history of such fine people. :eek:

The thing is Roatan was settled by those that got out of slavery NOT Slave traders as you would suggest, And many years ago turtle hunting was a way of life, You will find that out if you research any carribean Islands, Many on Roatan come from the turtle hunting capitol of it's time, the Caymans.

The town, again, was not named by or after them, read previous post for those details

The name is Coxen Hole, Maybe not the best that is be named after a pirate but that is the name none the less is for the main town on the Island, In the past it was called Calkett’s Hole and it is also referred to as Roatan Town,.

Coxen Hole began with many fmilies from slave trading and many cayman immigrant sea turtle hunters who were a proud bunch, PLEASE do not disrespect the history with your nicknames, if they were nicknames usd by local hondurans then thats one thing but this post just comes accross as degrading and makes one think you maybe are one better to visit the man made tourist ready port of Mahogany Bay

What's your problem? I just SAID I PREFERED Coxen to the new Mahogany?! So sorry if 'The Hole' disturbed your delicate PC sensabilities.:rolleyes:

What's your problem? I just SAID I PREFERED Coxen to the new Mahogany?! So sorry if 'The Hole' disturbed your delicate PC sensabilities.:rolleyes:

And in the meantime, my question is still hanging.......;)

How do you find out if you are docking or tendering? Is that a secret that you are all keeping from poor 'ole me? :p

thanks, Louloubelle

How do you find out if you are docking or tendering? Is that a secret that you are all keeping from poor 'ole me? :p

thanks, Louloubelle

You would only MAYBE tender if there is more than one ship at The Hole(!) at the same time. There is a regular dock there, we have been there twice and docked both times. It should say on your itin, but sometimes they will marke 'tender' even if there is only a small chance of actually having to tender.

thanks, Louloubelle

Sorry, I missed your ? with all the brouhaha over what's pc-correct to call the port.:rolleyes:

try this site: http://cruiseportinsider.com/roatan.html

scroll all the way to the bottom and click on the crusie ship schedule link for a pdf that'll tell you which ships are in on the day you are there.

Keep in mind it may not be updated if itinerries have changed recently.

No sir, you said you prefered "The Hole" Had you said you preferred Coxen Hole I never would have replied. Just think , a large percentage of those servicing tourists on Roatan call Coxen Hole home and quite proud to do so, Do you really think calling the place they reside "the hole"?

gives folks a warm fuzzy feeling?

No sir, you said you prefered "The Hole" Had you said you preferred Coxen Hole I never would have replied. Just think , a large percentage of those servicing tourists on Roatan call Coxen Hole home and quite proud to do so, Do you really think calling the place they reside "the hole"?

gives folks a warm fuzzy feeling?

You know what I think? : I couldn't care less what YOU think:cool:

Archived