Tendering to Coxen Hole?

joie1016

How many people on Roatan depend on cruise passengers for their paychecks? Obviously not you, but how about the cab drivers, boat "captains", or shop owners?

Many do depend on Cruisers but lets look a little deeper into your question, How many came over from the mainland to be cab drivers when cruising picked up? How many moved families to the island using valuable resources when cruising picked up, Boat captains? They have been around a lot longer than the cruisers and used to make a much better living 20 years ago, shop owners?? Which ones, all the ones in the port owned by foreignerss and mega corporations?

Cheap labor is where most of the locals find work, don't kid yourself. The majority of Isander owned buisiness that deal now with cruisers were around long before cruise ships frequented

How many people on Roatan depend on cruise passengers for their paychecks? Obviously not you, but how about the cab drivers, boat "captains", or shop owners?

You should know that Roatan supports a rather significant ex-pat community( US and Canadian and others) of year-round and seasonal residents who own homes there. Also it's great reefs long ago have made it a stop for serious divers. The Resorts cruisers visit or seek to visit don't typically cater to cruisers for their living, rather they go after the longer stay vacationers and divers. French Harbor, not typically visited by cruisers, has a sizeable commercial fishing industry. As a cruise stop, Roatan is a relatively new stop. The pier and shopping complex at Coxen Hole is around 5 years old, IIRC, (although there was a pier and some small facilities there before. Mahogany Bay a little over 2 years old and was a eco-friendly camp/school area before.

Why can't the locals continue making the livings they made before the ships began stopping?

I visited Coxen Hole when the port was a dirt parking lot. It seems the standard of living across the island has been raised. Is there something behind the scenes I'm missing?

I live in Orlando, and the "old timers" complain about how Mickey Mouse moved in and ruined the town, but there's no denying the standard of living has increased.

How about sticking to the question at hand. None of the rest of this thread is about my question. Anyone want to explain how the subject of tendering involves all this?

I totally agree!!!! But I have a feeling the explanation might be long!!! But I sure hope not!!! Also hope that you got all the answers to your original question.

When we tender in to Coxen Hole , what is in the immediate vacinity? Are there taxi's and such? Is there a beach to walk to? Any info greatly appreciated.

Haven't all your questions been answered? First off, your probably won't tender, but dock instead. There are plenty of little shops to walk to, but no good beach within walking distance. Tons and tons of cabs available.

Sometimes the discussion on a forum strays a little off topic. :eek: This is a byproduct of social interaction. If you want to see how this involves your tendering question, read the thread... you might also see your question has been answered! :rolleyes:

If you don't enjoy the human interaction, either stop reading once your question has been answered, or call your cruise line and speak with a customer service representative! ;) I'm just saying.

Let me suggest, as a way to avoid future speculation, for all those who posted in this thread that their cruise docs read "Tender" or their cruise rep said that Roatan was a tender port, please come back here after your cruises and report if you actually docked or tendered at Coxen Hole on your cruise. "We were on XYZ ship. Cruise docs said we'd tender in Roatan. We actually_________." That'll assist new thread readers with similar questions.

• 2 weeks later...
I totally agree!!!! But I have a feeling the explanation might be long!!! But I sure hope not!!! Also hope that you got all the answers to your original question.

I am actually sorry I even asked. But I do thank those that answered my question and I am very thankful.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived