Tendering to Coxen Hole?

joie1016

You know what I think? : I couldn't care less what YOU think:cool:

I do not care what you think, I replied because of what you posted, You then backpeddle and say

I just SAID I PREFERED Coxen

Where you actually referred to the town of Coxen Hole or mor correctly Coxen's Hole as "The Hole" I am sure many in your area where you live would be fine with people reffereing to it as "the hole" Maybe it is, But for you to come up with a nickname such as you have, in a place where you are an uninvited guest just does not seem all that kosher. Go ahead, next time visiting ask your guide if he or she lives in "the hole"

I do not care what you think, I replied because of what you posted, You then backpeddle and say

Where you actually referred to the town of Coxen Hole or mor correctly Coxen's Hole as "The Hole" I am sure many in your area where you live would be fine with people reffereing to it as "the hole" Maybe it is, But for you to come up with a nickname such as you have, in a place where you are an uninvited guest just does not seem all that kosher. Go ahead, next time visiting ask your guide if he or she lives in "the hole"

I didn't backpeddle, I had originally said I prefered The Hole to Mahogany, and then you suggested that I would like Mahogany better.

Guess it just proves there's more than one Hole in the world;)

I'll make SURE I refer to continue to refer to it as The Hole every time I'm there from now on, and report back to you.

And oh yes, costal Maine is indeed a virilent cesspool :-)

I didn't backpeddle, I had originally said I prefered The Hole to Mahogany, and then you suggested that I would like Mahogany better.

There you are onceagain backpeddling and misquoting, I never sugested you would like Mahogany better bt by your post I thought MAYBE , What I said was

do not disrespect the history with your nicknames, if they were nicknames usd by local hondurans then thats one thing but this post just comes accross as degrading and makes one think you maybe are one better to visit the man made tourist ready port of Mahogany Bay

Monkey: I know English is a second language to you, so you may not have a complete understanding of it. :rolleyes: There are many odd and quirky aspects of our language, like metaphor, innuendo, and irony. That's why you should try to be less abrasive and more understanding before you object to things. You may feel "The Hole" is derogatory, but it is not.

When there are a number of things in a group, cities for instance (New York City, Atlantic City, or Kansas City); referring to one as "The City" isn't an insult at all. It is in fact, a compliment. Calling NYC "THE" city means it is THE quintessential city. Here's that definition:

Quintessial: 1.of the pure and essential essence of something: the quintessential Jewish delicatessen.

2. of or pertaining to the most perfect embodiment of something: the quintessential performance of the Brandenburg Concertos.

So, when we look at holes in the Caribbean: Chocolate Hole, Hurricane Hole, Blue Hole, and Coxen Hole, calling one "The Hole" is definitely a compliment. Only someone without a full grasp of the language would go off half-cocked and take offense to the term. Coxen Hole isn't just a hole, it is "The Hole", and that means it's better than the rest... that's not degrading at all!

You would only MAYBE tender if there is more than one ship at The Hole(!) at the same time. There is a regular dock there, we have been there twice and docked both times. It should say on your itin, but sometimes they will marke 'tender' even if there is only a small chance of actually having to tender.

I'll have to check with Vacations to Go then because the itinerary they sent does not have that data. thanks for your help. I always know to come to Cruise Critic for answers

I'll have to check with Vacations to Go then because the itinerary they sent does not have that data. thanks for your help. I always know to come to Cruise Critic for answers

Once you get your itinerary paperwork from the cruiseline itself, it should deffinetly say. But I would very much expect you to dock, not tender. It really is a great spot, much more authentic and enjoyable than Mahogony, IMO. Have fun, it's one of our favorite stops!:)

louloubelle69: I'll be on The Spirit the week before you and my e-docs show "Arrive-Dock" at Roatan. I checked that after reading some posts (maybe this thread!). I thought we only tendered at Belize. So I called NCL yesterday and they confirmed we will tender in. However, my e-docs show "Erato St." for the cruise terminal out of N.O. and it's really going to be "Julia St.". I spoke with NCL about that confusion and they verified it would be Julia St. rather than Erato. Said they just need to fix the e-docs. So, I guess we'll see about the tender at Roatan or not. I'm sure it will depend on how many ships in port on a given day. I believe there will be 4 ships in port on the day we will be there. I have an excursion booked with Bodden Tours and I know all will be fine. But it sure would be nice to not have to tender... :) ENJOY... :)

louloubelle69: I'll be on The Spirit the week before you and my e-docs show "Arrive-Dock" at Roatan. I checked that after reading some posts (maybe this thread!). I thought we only tendered at Belize. So I called NCL yesterday and they confirmed we will tender in. However, my e-docs show "Erato St." for the cruise terminal out of N.O. and it's really going to be "Julia St.". I spoke with NCL about that confusion and they verified it would be Julia St. rather than Erato. Said they just need to fix the e-docs. So, I guess we'll see about the tender at Roatan or not. I'm sure it will depend on how many ships in port on a given day. I believe there will be 4 ships in port on the day we will be there. I have an excursion booked with Bodden Tours and I know all will be fine. But it sure would be nice to not have to tender... :) ENJOY... :)

PC, The NCL Spirit is the only ship in CH on the 8th. I think your e-docs are correct. Louloubelle may be different as there are 2 ships scheduled for CH on the 15th.

When we tender in to Coxen Hole , what is in the immediate vacinity? Are there taxi's and such? Is there a beach to walk to? Any info greatly appreciated.

I am on the NCL Star March 3rd and our documents say tender, however we are the only ship in Coxen Hole so I imagine we will dock. There is no beach in walking distance and there should be lots of taxis however many on these boards choose to book a tour as they are reasonably priced.

We plan to take the local bus.:eek: I'll let you know how it goes.

So, when we look at holes in the Caribbean: Chocolate Hole, Hurricane Hole, Blue Hole, and Coxen Hole, calling one "The Hole" is definitely a compliment. Only someone without a full grasp of the language would go off half-cocked and take offense to the term. Coxen Hole isn't just a hole, it is "The Hole", and that means it's better than the rest... that's not degrading at all!

So you use many "cities" in the US as going to the city, all in one country but you need to search the internet to come up with many pkaces with "hole" in their name just to make point. Why not do like you did in your example and come up with other places withing the country you are visiting, One which you must remember, no one ever invited you to visit.

There is no way around clling Coxen Hole "the hole" can be justified, Not only could you not find a reference on Roatan you could not even find one in the same country

I really like Coxen Hole and remember when the port was just an empty gravel lot! :D I'll be taking my first trip to Mahogany Bay next month, but until then I can't really say which port I prefer.

Monkeylala: (I'm just trying to help you understand, so you won't be angry... you shouldn't be.) :)

My favorite restaurant is not just any restaurant... it is THE Restaurant!

(This is NOT degrading!)

Coxen Hole is not just any hole. It is my favorite... it is THE Hole!

(This is NOT degrading either!) :p

I miss quoted on my prior post (sorry!). I said my edocs show "Arrive-Dock" at Roatan, but it actually shows "Arrive-Anchor" (meaning tender). That's why I called NCL to confirm. http://cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=606&date=43 shows 4 ships in port at Roatan on 3/8/12, but that is for both ports (Coxen Hole and Mahogany Bay). When I checked just Coxen Hole, it shows 2 ships in port that day: http://www.portofroatan.com/cruiseship_schedule.html.

So I guess we'll see what happens when we get there...

I really like Coxen Hole and remember when the port was just an empty gravel lot! :D I'll be taking my first trip to Mahogany Bay next month, but until then I can't really say which port I prefer.

Monkeylala: (I'm just trying to help you understand, so you won't be angry... you shouldn't be.) :)

My favorite restaurant is not just any restaurant... it is THE Restaurant!

(This is NOT degrading!)

Coxen Hole is not just any hole. It is my favorite... it is THE Hole!

(This is NOT degrading either!) :p

You just keep telling yourself that and you may someday believe it, Meanwhile, I would not suggest when you grab a Taxi or tour that you ask people if the are living in "The Hole" And there are few here ignorant enough to understand the degradation factor with ot without a language barrier

Monkey: We're speaking English here, and in English "The Hole" is not an insult! You can think it is degrading if you want, but that only shows you need more English lessons! ;) Maybe "The Hole" becomes insulting after translation... or maybe your paranoia is a symptom of something else entirely! :cool:

Armed,

had you said you preferred the dock in "town"or just preferred "town" as locals refer to Coxen hole then great But , you say you refer to your favorite restaurant as "the restaurant" then refer to your favorite town as "the town" Give up, no one will believe you or anyone else is being complimentary calling someones home town "the hole", As Bad as my english may be, your degrading remarks do not go un noticed

You are right Starlaker, and it is like having a battle of wits with an unarmed person, but I am compelled to educate the ignorant! ;)

Monkey: I didn't name the place, someone else did. They called it a hole. If you have a problem with it change the name or take it up with the dead person who named it! Obliviously the other inhabitants aren't offended by the moniker, because the name hasn't changed in how many years?

I have no problem with it. To me it is not just a hole, it's the quintessential hole... it is "The Hole!" :D

You are right Starlaker, and it is like having a battle of wits with an unarmed person, but I am compelled to educate the ignorant! ;)

Monkey: I didn't name the place, someone else did. They called it a hole. If you have a problem with it change the name or take it up with the dead person who named it! Obliviously the other inhabitants aren't offended by the moniker, because the name hasn't changed in how many years?

I have no problem with it. To me it is not just a hole, it's the quintessential hole... it is "The Hole!" :D

It's like talking to a brick wall;) Oh well, I might have to use the old ignore button. I also like the comment 'no one invited you there'. Pretty sure when a town builds a cruise ship dock, the are offcially saying to the world 'You're invited!':)

Anyways...If we do tender about how long of a ride is it? Has anyone done this before??

The bay at Coxen Hole isn't very large. If you do tender, the ride shold be less than 5 minutes. More like the tendering in Grand Cayman. This isn't Belize where you have to anchor miles off shore because of the shallowness of the water.

I also like the comment 'no one invited you there'. Pretty sure when a town builds a cruise ship dock, the are offcially saying to the world 'You're invited!':)

The Cruise people paid a wealthy politician for HIS OWN PROPERTY for the MB Dock, The Town or locals did not benefit from his 60 million dollar deal for the dock so I stand by my posy but will make one exception, the new multimillionare owner of the property the dock is on did actully invite you, Just not the rest of Roatan

Archived