costa concordia TV special

NoWhiners

I wish I had known about it, though I imagine I would have found it difficult to watch.

Along the same lines, I have seen some jokes about this tragedy on Facebook and passed along in emails. Has anyone else encountered this? I got into a heated discussion with a "friend" who thinks I am being too sensitive. :eek:

I just don't find humor in a tragedy like this and don't understand the mindset of those who do. It really bothers me to see people make light of this incident.

I wish I had known about it, though I imagine I would have found it difficult to watch.

Along the same lines, I have seen some jokes about this tragedy on Facebook and passed along in emails. Has anyone else encountered this? I got into a heated discussion with a "friend" who thinks I am being too sensitive. :eek:

I just don't find humor in a tragedy like this and don't understand the mindset of those who do. It really bothers me to see people make light of this incident.

OH my, Your so called "friend" thinks you are being too Sensitive?:(:( :mad::mad: I would be livid & probably lose some Friends, if I had received any e-mails like this..

Only nincompoops (sp?) would make light of this horrible disaster!

There by the Grace of God, go I..

Don't loose faith, Sid..

I missed the video as we were on a cruise..Perhaps they will repeat it..There was very little coverage while we were on our cruise..Does anyone know if there are still some psgrs. missing?

Cheers...Betty

Yes several are still missing and presumed dead. I believe the number is in the neighborhood of 16 or 17. Others may know exactly.

I thought it was 15 still missing, and 17 bodies recovered. I could be wrong about that, but we are in the same neighborhood.

It's tragic for all involved, both those who perished, their families, and those who survived. I continue to be amazed, though, at how many did survive. Some people did rise to the occasion and help others. May they be ever blessed as they did the right thing.

I missed the video as we were on a cruise..Perhaps they will repeat it..There was very little coverage while we were on our cruise..

Cheers...Betty

Discovery channel will be showing a similar show this Sunday (10 pm ET). I haven't seen the National Geographic version repeated since last Monday or Tuesday. I'm sure it will be at some point.

ML

I thought it was 15 still missing, and 17 bodies recovered. I could be wrong about that, but we are in the same neighborhood.

It's tragic for all involved, both those who perished, their families, and those who survived. I continue to be amazed, though, at how many did survive. Some people did rise to the occasion and help others. May they be ever blessed as they did the right thing.

I totally agree Ruth. As I watched the video, I wondered why some people didn't jump into the water. Not a first resort, but on the side closest to the shore, the ship wasn't very far from a large rock, that looked like it led to shore. or they could have just waited there. I know the water is cold, and there are risks but the ship wasn't sinking and sucking in water like the Titanic when it went down, it was stuck on the rocks and listing. If I were near a railing and the water, and had a life vest on, and could see the rock, and no one was launching lifeboats, I might have tried this. It really was the 'luck of the draw' for some of these people. Which deck they were on, if they paid attention to what was happening (and not the announcements or crew), maybe some could have been saved. I suspect those who died were trapped in bad spots below water, or possibly panicked and jumped from a deck when it was still too high above the water. Not too hard to imagine if lifeboats weren't being launched.

Hard to say what I would do, but it has made me think about what I would do to prepare. One American couple was asleep in their cabin, kept hearing the announcements and going back to sleep. They finally decided to get up and check things out!! They both got off safely and were interviewed on the national geographic show.

ML

We found the documentary to be, in certain parts, much like the relatively recent Titanic movie. It was truly frightening & we felt so awful for the hordes of people packed up trying to get off and not really knowing what was happening.

If this had happened further away from land there would have been a huge loss of life. The actions of the Captain of this ship were unspeakable. I wouldn't be surprised if some type of insanity defense was introduced by his attorneys in the future. His behaviour was so bizarre & totally contrary to a Captain's responsibilities in this type of event.

I followed joanie's links for National Geographic website and there are about 7-8 video clips apparently from the special: interviews with pax, footage in MDR after the crash, interview with schetinno with him saying he was the last off and how important it is to keep a level head.....

Sure hope they make the whole episode available to those who don't have cable....

~TC

Discovery channel will be showing a similar show this Sunday (10 pm ET). I haven't seen the National Geographic version repeated since last Monday or Tuesday. I'm sure it will be at some point.

ML

Thanks so much..I'll be sure to watch it..

I totally agree Ruth. As I watched the video, I wondered why some people didn't jump into the water. Not a first resort, but on the side closest to the shore, the ship wasn't very far from a large rock, that looked like it led to shore. or they could have just waited there. I know the water is cold, and there are risks but the ship wasn't sinking and sucking in water like the Titanic when it went down, it was stuck on the rocks and listing. If I were near a railing and the water, and had a life vest on, and could see the rock, and no one was launching lifeboats, I might have tried this. It really was the 'luck of the draw' for some of these people. Which deck they were on, if they paid attention to what was happening (and not the announcements or crew), maybe some could have been saved. I suspect those who died were trapped in bad spots below water, or possibly panicked and jumped from a deck when it was still too high above the water. Not too hard to imagine if lifeboats weren't being launched.

Hard to say what I would do, but it has made me think about what I would do to prepare. One American couple was asleep in their cabin, kept hearing the announcements and going back to sleep. They finally decided to get up and check things out!! They both got off safely and were interviewed on the national geographic show.

ML

I'm one of those who would not jump as I'm a chicken, & would be too frightened to do so..Water over my head scares me as I can't swim, even though we owned a sail boat & have sailed with another couple & their boat over 25,000 miles..:eek: DH would have to push me overboard..LOL

My Friends laugh, as I can't get this fear out of my system, even though I love to cruise.. Retired from the Airline Business after 32 yrs, but flying never fazed me..My first cousin on the other hand will not fly..We both know it's irrational, but can't help it..:eek::eek:

Cheers...:)Betty

Thanks so much..I'll be sure to watch it..

I'm one of those who would not jump as I'm a chicken, & would be too frightened to do so..Water over my head scares me as I can't swim, even though we owned a sail boat & have sailed with another couple & their boat over 25,000 miles..:eek: DH would have to push me overboard..LOL

My Friends laugh, as I can't get this fear out of my system, even though I love to cruise.. Retired from the Airline Business after 32 yrs, but flying never fazed me..My first cousin on the other hand will not fly..We both know it's irrational, but can't help it..:eek::eek:

Cheers...:)Betty

Hi Betty

Too funny!! I think there are a lot of people (including my DH and one of our best friends, who often cruises with us) who feel the same. I think in most cases, probably including this one, it is best to stay onboard. I can imagine being in circumstances where the best choice is to jump in, but you would have to be pretty desperate!

ML

One expert I saw on CNN said jumping in and swimming would be the wrong thing to as long as there was any way to stay on the ship. He said that, although it looks close, the temperature of the water, the clothes you have on, the food and drink you may have just consumed, might all make it a much harder to swim than you think. You would be more likely to drown than if you perched on what remained of the trip and waited to be rescued.

One expert I saw on CNN said jumping in and swimming would be the wrong thing to as long as there was any way to stay on the ship. He said that, although it looks close, the temperature of the water, the clothes you have on, the food and drink you may have just consumed, might all make it a much harder to swim than you think. You would be more likely to drown than if you perched on what remained of the trip and waited to be rescued.

yes, i agree that this is correct most of the time. But I can imagine circumstances where jumping in (preferably with a life vest on) would be the last, best option. Not recommending this just saying it might be the last alternative. as with most things, it all depends on the situation.

I haven't received or seen any joke about this terrible tragedy. I can't imagine people being so insensitive.

I haven't heard any jokes about this either. Doesn't seem like joke material to me...

ML

Looks like it is not on the Discovery channel in Canada - at least not on Bell Expressvu:( But I guess, we had the fifth estate program and our friends in the US couldn't get it - so all is fair - but darn - would have been interesting:( I wonder if the cocaine traces on his hair (not in - on) will be on the program?

Looks like it is not on the Discovery channel in Canada - at least not on Bell Expressvu:( But I guess, we had the fifth estate program and our friends in the US couldn't get it - so all is fair - but darn - would have been interesting:( I wonder if the cocaine traces on his hair (not in - on) will be on the program?

I can't believe you can't get it in Canada. Just saw the part where people on starboard side realized they had to jump or they would be dumped in the water. Still can't figure out why lifeboats couldn't have helped people in water on starboard side. apparently people on port side had to sort of repel down side of ship, then jump 8 feet into lifeboats!! Wow, just amazing.

No mention of cocaine tests yet!

ML

I posted the quoted below on Oz Round Table Discussion Part 4 on the Costa Board, where I've been since the tragedy. This is a very enlightening show tonight....

Joanie

I just realized why there were no signs of passengers on deck when the evacuation was going on, just crew. The reason is that passengers board on Deck 4 by just walking into the life boats. Deck 3 is where the crew boards into life rafts.

Discovery Channel is clearing up some of the questions... As is David Saba's videos!!

So far a THUMBS UP for Discovery Channel!!

I really like having the MMA and the Admiral really explaining in terms I can actually see with their charts and descriptions!!

Joanie

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I can't even imagine what it was like there. No matter how anyone describes it we'll never know what it was like there. Based on what they said at the end, they were very lucky that they were close to shore and not in open seas, but I guess if they were in open seas the whole thing wouldn't have happened to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joanie--MMA and all the maritime experts did make it easier to understand.

Douglas--I agree and it seems like the experts were saying it would have been worse out to sea. i wonder if that was assuming they had a big hole in ship and crew responded the way they did?

ML

Joanie--MMA and all the maritime experts did make it easier to understand.

Douglas--I agree and it seems like the experts were saying it would have been worse out to sea. i wonder if that was assuming they had a big hole in ship and crew responded the way they did?

ML

Yep, they made it so plain and almost simple enough for me to understand.

Agree that there would have been no need for any of this if Schettino had stuck with Costa's course:(

Did you notice the looks on the faces of the crew lined up on Deck 3 as they watched the passengers being evacuated? To me it was almost like they were seeing their life lines disappearing and almost resigned to their fate:( :(

Joanie

Yep, they made it so plain and almost simple enough for me to understand.

Agree that there would have been no need for any of this if Schettino had stuck with Costa's course:(

Did you notice the looks on the faces of the crew lined up on Deck 3 as they watched the passengers being evacuated? To me it was almost like they were seeing their life lines disappearing and almost resigned to their fate:( :(

Joanie

Yes, all the people looked much more concerned than in the national Geo special. i thought this one was better done--more interviews and some great analysis by maritime experts. We almost missed it tonight! remembered when it was half over, so we watched the 2nd half and then they repeated it right after, so we saw the 1st half.

I bet a lot more comes out over the coming months.

ML

On National geographic channel right now. it will be repeated at 2 am Eastern time and tomorrow at 10 pm (check local listings?)

they started pumping the fuel out today. Estimate it will take 28 days to empty all the fuel

ML

The Video was on The Discovery Channel via DIRECT TV tonight, Southern California, Sunday, 2/19/2012 at 7:00 pm, and again at 8:00 pm!

My guess is that it will be repeated again this week!

Excellent Video, Italian Coast Guard doing their Research with maps and information from the Black Boxes.

Definitely, a "Do Not Miss"!

Archived