Dress code changes

Mathguy42

It's been a while since my S.O. and I sailed Celebrity but we noticed in reading our cruise documents that tuxedoes are no longer de riguer and in fact, neither are suits for formal nights. I read the guidelines carefully and it looks like slacks, shirt with either sports coat or blazer will do for formal and just polos or casual shirt and slacks on the informal nights. Correct? If this is the case, we might even get away with carry-on luggage only...:)

It's been a while since my S.O. and I sailed Celebrity but we noticed in reading our cruise documents that tuxedoes are no longer de riguer and in fact, neither are suits for formal nights. I read the guidelines carefully and it looks like slacks, shirt with either sports coat or blazer will do for formal and just polos or casual shirt and slacks on the informal nights. Correct? If this is the case, we might even get away with carry-on luggage only...:)

I don't know where you saw anything about sports coats and blazers. The men's guidelines have been the same since I can remember in the mid 90s. More men wear suits than tuxes now. If you are referring to a "dinner jacket", this is what one looks like.

You may possibly see someone in a blazer, but not many.

whitejacket.jpg.d44c26ab61d8d57ef2c8dae4ef44a224.jpg

Here is a statement posted from the Celebrity website:

" Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks."

From what I have seen in recent cruises, if you wear a more casual sport coat with slacks you will be allowed in the MDR. That said, there are still a good number of men wearing tuxes (albeit fewer than in the past), a large number of men wearing dark suits with a shirt and tie, and a lesser number of men with more casual sport coats. The dress is still identified as 'formal'.

Passions run high on this topic. I guess the key is what you interpret 'dinner jacket' to mean, and whether or not you want to try to enter without a jacket at all. I interpret it to be a dressy sport coat in the least and feel people know the rules ahead of time so should choose to abide by them if they dine in the MDR. Others are passionate that people who think that way are 'old fuddy duddy's' and should get with the 21st century:D.

From the FAQ page on Celebrity's web site:

What are the onboard dress codes?

Subject: Dress Code

You will need three types of clothing on your Celebrity cruise: casual shipboard attire or day wear, conservative port wear and eveningwear.

Daywear includes slacks or pants, blouses or shirts, knit tops or polo shirts. Bring a pair of sneakers or rubber-soled shoes for deck sports and a swimsuit cover-up for cool areas on the ship.

Port wear for women includes a casual dress, skirt and blouse, or pants outfit; for men, casual pants or walking shorts, and polo-type shirts. Comfortable walking shoes are a must.

Examples of "Smart Casual and Above" attire include:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Examples of "Formal" attire include:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with the dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. We thank you, in advance, for your cooperation and understanding. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

We have just finished a cruise on the Constellation (Feb 2012) and were really disappointed to see the dress code is now very relaxed and not as quoted in the Celebrity brochure or as stated on their web site. It would seem that this is a Royal Caribbean effect.

It was quite rare to see men in Tuxedo's or dressed up, most were in lounge suits or just a jacket and trousers or just shirt sleeves. One night, not a formal night I might add, we saw two men leave the MDR in shorts after dinner which we thought was not allowed at all at anytime.

Celebrity need to update their guidance because I could have saved myself $100 that I spent on the suit hire and my wife could have saved a small fortune on not buying new long evening dresses for the cruise.

The guidance is very poor as it states that shirts must have sleeves which I took as having long sleeves, when in fact short sleeved shirts seemed to be the norm all the time.

Maybe I am being old fashioned, but to me this is all about people lowering their standards.

We know shorts aren't allowed in the MDR. i was wondering specifically about how informal Celebrity MDR dining has become with no suits required on formal nights, just sports coats or blazers?

Hi MathGuy42,

I was recently on the Solstice (January 15th Sailing)... and by far I would say that the majority of Cruisers are still adhereing to Celebrity's Dress Code when it comes to Formal Wear for men...

Gentlemen - Tuxedo, Suit, or Dinner Jacket with Slacks.

There were certainly some men in "mix and match" situations with a Sports Coat & Blazer and Dress Pants, but they weren't very high in numbers from what I could see.

And I didn't see any guys in Shirt Sleeves without Jackets as has been reported of late... certainly saw a few men during dinner, who had removed their jackets and placed them on their chair-backs... for comfort no doubt (which for the record I am perfectly fine with) ... but they did look a bit "odd" as they stood out in a room that was dominated by Black, Dark Blue and Charcoal

But for the most part, everywhere we went that evening (Cocktails - Photos - Dinner - Theatre) we saw Men of all ages (20s thru 80s) and even Teens turned out appropriately. I was quite impressed actually.

Even saw a few formal "Dinner Jackets" (ie white tux jackets) on some guys in the Theatre.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

PS... I began this post following your last Reply above (# 3) and see that some of my comments (and the Dress Code Quote) overlap what some of the others have written as well.

Are you sailing in Aquaclass? If that's the case then your description is accurate as formal night is not required in the Speciality restaurants (of which Blu is one). If you are dining in the MDR then formal night is still described as follows on the website:

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Hope that helps.

I don't know where you saw anything about sports coats and blazers. The men's guidelines have been the same since I can remember in the mid 90s. More men wear suits than tuxes now. If you are referring to a "dinner jacket", this is what one looks like.

You may possibly see someone in a blazer, but not many.

Could be the different itineraries as well. I noticed on both our Bermuda sailings on the Summit that the dress code was VERY relaxed. Several men dining in shorts & t shirts on casual nights, and polos w/ khakis or hawaiin print shirts w/ khakis on formal nights. Rarely was there someone in a Tux. It seemed to be mostly suits or shirts & ties w/ no jackets.

We have just finished a cruise on the Constellation (Feb 2012) and were really disappointed to see the dress code is now very relaxed and not as quoted in the Celebrity brochure or as stated on their web site. It would seem that this is a Royal Caribbean effect.

It was quite rare to see men in Tuxedo's or dressed up, most were in lounge suits or just a jacket and trousers or just shirt sleeves. One night, not a formal night I might add, we saw two men leave the MDR in shorts after dinner which we thought was not allowed at all at anytime.

Celebrity need to update their guidance because I could have saved myself $100 that I spent on the suit hire and my wife could have saved a small fortune on not buying new long evening dresses for the cruise.

It is quite disappointing to read this about the formal nights.

I have been really looking forward to the formal night as being Scottish it will give me chance to wear full highland outfit including kilt and Argyll or Prince Charlie jacket. If I could get away with just a normal jacket and a shirt & tie it will save me over £100 to hire my kilt.

Could be the different itineraries as well. I noticed on both our Bermuda sailings on the Summit that the dress code was VERY relaxed. Several men dining in shorts & t shirts on casual nights, and polos w/ khakis or hawaiin print shirts w/ khakis on formal nights. Rarely was there someone in a Tux. It seemed to be mostly suits or shirts & ties w/ no jackets.

Hi all,

Maybe someone could comment on this... and what I am about to say, as I cannot seem to find Celebrity's exact Quote at this time.

BUT it is my understanding, (as I was doing some research on cruising to Bermuda) that for this Destination the Dress Code is slightly different.

Men in TRUE Bermuda Shorts are an ok item for Smart Casual Evenings.

Cheers!

We just got off the Millie after three short cruises. Most men had on dark suits or blazers on formal nights, very few tuxes, but we did see some people wearing only casual shirts in the MDR. Also saw some blue jeans in MDR on non-formal nights - some with tears in them for special "effect.". I think these short cruises do have more people ignoring the dress guidelines than we see on longer cruises with more experienced cruisers.

Hi all,

Maybe someone could comment on this... and what I am about to say, as I cannot seem to find Celebrity's exact Quote at this time.

BUT it is my understanding, (as I was doing some research on cruising to Bermuda) that for this Destination the Dress Code is slightly different.

Men in TRUE Bermuda Shorts are an ok item for Smart Casual Evenings.

Cheers!

Yes I do believe true Bermuda shorts were allowed...however these were just regular shorts that passengers were wearing.

I had to hear an earful from the kids and DH each time we would see someone in shorts and a T shirt../ "why cant we wear our shorts to dinner???" You sure can if you want to eat in the buffet :) lol

We never really went all out for formal nights but still at least followed the guidelines.

As the years have gone by, formal night has become less and less formal. On my last cruise, there were very few people in "formal" attire. Most people looked good. Most men wore at least a sportsjacket and tie. However, I did see jeans ( torn) ,flipflops( rubber type), and crew neck tee shirts. It looked dumb. However, in all afirness, perhaps they lost their luggage. I lost my luggage on a 2 week cruise. My husband went to formal night in his boat shoes and "celebrity" tee shirt. It was all he had. Everyone laughed it off. HE said that he felt a bit weird. Since that cruise, neither of us take real formal attire or even really good stuff. When we got our luggage, many of the nice things in my luggage were stolen. I would enjoy an all smart casual cruise. I see many people on formal night who look uncomfortable. On my last cruise, we skipped one formal night and ate at the buffet. We met other people who refused to dress up. We really had a fun time.

we have just come back off the silohuette on friday and i was very very disappointed with the so called formal nights.no atmosphere,lots of people not adhering to the dress code,and i kid you not on one formal night a lady came out of the mdr in a pair of pyjamas and two ladies in jogsuits,it just would not be allowed on p and o or cunard,it spoils it for everybody who has gone to the trouble to dress up,celebrity need to make their minds up its either a formal night or its not!!!!we have done 4 cruises with princess and p and o and their formal nights were something special-on celebrity just the same as every other night with the odd person making an effort,and that is not just my opinion,lots of othe guests commented on it too.

Greetings

Nothing gets these boards going like a dress code discussion. If a true formal night is what Celebrity desires, then they need to state that dress for those nights is "black tie". The present guidelines say "examples" are tux, dark suit, dinner jacket. It does not say that thoses are the only allowable items. Like has been pointed out, a kilt may be formal to some, but it is not listed in the examples. No where does it say that sportscoats or blazers are not appropriate. Just my two cents.

Good Sailing

Tom

It is also interesting to note that the X site does not say shirt and tie for men on formal nights.

Well, taken literally, it doesn't even say that a gentleman must wear a shirt or even shoes, but I would hope that people aren't so naive that they wouldn't know that :D

Imagine the sight? In walks a "gentleman" wearing only slacks and a tuxedo jacket. No shirt, no shoes. Yikes. :eek: This may be allowed on other cruise lines, but hopefully not Celebrity ;)

Greetings

Nothing gets these boards going like a dress code discussion. If a true formal night is what Celebrity desires, then they need to state that dress for those nights is "black tie". The present guidelines say "examples" are tux, dark suit, dinner jacket. It does not say that thoses are the only allowable items. Like has been pointed out, a kilt may be formal to some, but it is not listed in the examples. No where does it say that sportscoats or blazers are not appropriate. Just my two cents.

Good Sailing

Tom

Cheers Tom.

I have been informed by Celebrity that my kilt will be accepted as formal evening wear and I will be welcomed wearing it. I will even be bringing my email with me just in the highly unlikely case anyone says anything.

Cheers Tom.

I have been informed by Celebrity that my kilt will be accepted as formal evening wear and I will be welcomed wearing it. I will even be bringing my email with me just in the highly unlikely case anyone says anything.

We've seen many kilts over the years on formal nights- love it. Please just don't go 'traditional' ;):eek: or if you do, stay away from the stairs:D

I do 2-3 Celebrity cruises a year. I surely didn't notice a large number of casually dressed men in the MDR on formal night. I'd put it at about 95-99% compliance (if you include sports coat tie and slacks which isn't really a suit... and even that was a minority). 2 months ago the Eclipse head waiter or maitre'd provided jackets for guys that came w/o them.

I don't care one way or the other. If it's true formal or cocktail dress that's what I'll do. If the code is for smart casual all 7 days, that's what I'll do too. I don't really have a horse in this race, but am just commenting on my observations (mostly 7 day Caribbean cruises)

It is quite disappointing to read this about the formal nights.

I have been really looking forward to the formal night as being Scottish it will give me chance to wear full highland outfit including kilt and Argyll or Prince Charlie jacket. If I could get away with just a normal jacket and a shirt & tie it will save me over £100 to hire my kilt.

I say go for the kilt. I have worn my kilt on every cruise to every formal night. I do not have as many occasions in life as I used to to dress formally, and look forward to the cruise formal nights. Yes, there are many who choose not to dress formally, I say make your own party, and enjoy. And, be prepared to receive a lot of comments.....:D. You will need a sgain-dubh without a blade as security at boarding may take and hold a bladed one otherwise. I have one for cruises that is a single piece of molded plastic. Not the best, the keeps the tradition.

Cheers Tom.

You go, Tom. There is nothing like a man in a kilt. My late husband wore his and my sons wear them to formal occasions, also.

GiGiAnn

Archived