Dress code changes

Mathguy42

I love how well tailored vintage suits are, and the Spouse looks smashing in his BB shawl collared tuxedo from the 50's. He has a wonderful peak lapel double breasted from the late 40's as well.

I find them in vintage shops, and have had particularly good luck in the thrift shops run by large auxiliary groups, such as for the ballet or opera. You will find newer ones as well, often seemingly unworn, for a fraction of new.

If you don't live near a metropolitian area that would offer a selection of shops such as these, or if you prefer new, but at a reasonable price, then check The Nordstrom Rack if you have one near. I have seen racks of formal wear there, with quite good size selections.

Formal companies changing inventory sell from their shops and also send to donation groups such as salvation army. Occasionally these thrift stores will get a huge rack in and price them very low, perhaps $10 for a jacket, $5 for pants.

My advice is buy what ever suit fits your price point and you. Then spend a bit extra and buy a really NICE shirt, silk (self tied) bow tie and cummerbund, or vest, as you prefer. A good quality shirt and tie will make a very ordinary formal suit look really top notch.

Ok, a bit of clarification here. The terms: formal, informal, tux, dinner jacket, tails, black tie, white tie and dress mess all have very specific meanings and they are getting confused here.

A pictorial sartorial guide;

img-mens-formal-wear-01.jpg

White tie, in the center, refers to a tail coat with white shirt vest and tie. This is as formal as western mens evening dress gets. It is what you would find at a State Dinner.

Morning suit, to the left, is the daytime equivalent. It would be properly worn at formal events before 5pm.

Black tie, on the right, also known as a Tuxedo, is a black suit where the lapels are faced with satin and a stripe up the side in satin trims the trousers outer side seam. It is worn with a white shirt, usually pleated, and a black bow tie and cummerbund or a coloured tie and vest or cummerbund. It is properly called Informal (in comparison to the Formal White tie). Common usage now is to refer to black tie as Formal, as is done on the cruise lines.

5500-50-riviera_r.jpg

A white dinner jacket may be substituted for the black jacket of a tuxedo. It is not actually white, instead it is a pale cream, as wool does not come in a stark white. Many white dinner jackets are made of synthetic these days. If you get one of these jackets do not let them put you into one of the optic white versions. This dress is also properly referred to as Informal, but common usage has shifted to Formal as on the cruise ships.

Regulation_doublet_highlandclans_co_uk_2b.jpg

A proper kilt may be kitted out for Formal or Informal wear. The most distinguishing feature between the levels of formality in kilt attire is the cut of the jacket. This picture is of the Formal doublet jacket. A prince charles or argyle jacket would be appropriate for an Informal event, such as a Formal night on a cruise.

DSCF6641.JPG

Dress mess is a Formal attire for military and merchant marines, such as officers on cruise ships. There are an abundance of versions, as many as there are nations, militaries, services and ranks. It comprises a short jacket and formal pants with stripe. All other details, including headgear, are subject to change ; -) There are also dark versions available as well.

iphone_031_nmt4.jpg

Dress whites are the Informal version of attire for military and merchant marines, such as officers on cruise ships. There are an abundance of versions, as many as there are nations, militaries, services and ranks. There are also dark versions available as well.

3746P_01.tif&tmp=FullSize&redirect=0

A Business suit is a matching suit coat and pants, tailored from the same fabric. It is the same in cut as a tuxedo, or a dinner jacket, but has no stripe up the outer pants seam, and the lapels are faced from the same fabric as the body of the suit. Suits come in 2 piece, The jacket and pants, or the three piece, which also includes a vest, or waistcoat. They can be single or double breasted. Choice of shirt and tie determine to a large extent how dressy a suit is. A white broadcloth or poplin shirt would be the most formal choice for a dress shirt, but oxford and twill shirts are also common.

ALL OF THE ABOVE ATTIRE MEETS THE CELEBRITY FORMAL DRESS CODE.

A navy blazer or a Sport coat are a less formal option for dressy mens attire. The navy blazer, traditionally made of hopsack, originally was part of the naval uniform. Most typically buttons are of brass or silver. The Sport coat is commonly made of tweed, plaid, corduroy or herringbone. Buttons are traditionally horn or leather. Lighter weight versions in linen for warm climates are also found. It is styled in the same manner as a suit jacket, but usually with a looser more casual cut. These jackets are worn with mens dress slacks of a different colour than the jacket and shirt, with or with out a tie, or a turtleneck. Blazers may be single or double breasted, sport coats are typically single breasted.

While the blazer or sport coat do not meet the stated X dress code, reports from many sources confirm that these options will be accepted, with a tie, in the MDR on formal nights.

I love to dress for dinner. However, with airlines gouging everyone for an extra luggage, it makes it hard to pack for a 7 night cruise. I choose Celebrity because I don't want to see shorts in the MDR, EVER. I packed my black suit and black tie to wear on formal night, I am not doing that again. Instead, it will be my expensive Navy sport coat with dress trousers with a tie. I still may change my mind, but I am taking my college age children and my step sons don't have that level of formal attire.

Shorts should not be allowed in the MDR at anytime.

First, I really don't care if two year olds choose to flame me.

Second, although maybe you do, I do not consider what I wore an "indiscretion."

And finally, I was too busy enjoying the company of my wife at dinner to observe or count what others were wearing.

Good point. I my last cruise on the Summit to Bermuda in June 2011, Sport Coats with ties were at least 40 per cent on formal night.

Good point. I my last cruise on the Summit to Bermuda in June 2011, Sport Coats with ties were at least 40 per cent on formal night.

Greetings

That is (at least for me) nice to hear. I have been trying to decide what to take for our upcoming cruise. I would prefer to go with the blue blazer/sportcoat option simply because they are more comfortable in the tropics. I know many here do not believe that they are in compliance with the stated dress code for formal nights, but I am not nearly as rigid. I just didn't want to be the only one dressed in a blazer/sportcoat.

Good Sailing

Tom

We just came off an 11 day Equinox cruise to the Caribbean! We were in Aqua class, so ate entirely in the Blu restaurant! I always rent a tux and on this trip their were alot of others in tuxedo's. I love getting dressed up for formal night and so does my wife! This was a classy ship and most were dressed up accordingly! :)

A proper kilt may be kitted out for Formal or Informal wear. The most distinguishing feature between the levels of formality in kilt attire is the cut of the jacket. This picture is of the Formal doublet jacket. A prince charles or argyle jacket would be appropriate for an Informal event, such as a Formal night on a cruise.

Not quite - if you go to a Formal event in Scotland you will not see the use of the plaid over the shoulder which is a trend that has crept in from left field recently. A Prince Charles jacket or an Argyle can easily be formal, it is what it is worn with that is the issue - if it is a white shirt and bow tie that is formal, if it is an ordinary tie, most would see that as informal and if it is open neck or a tie neck (think braveheart) it is a casual outfit (and would actually not have a jacket)

Now I do hope the Dress code is rewritten properly to address what is worn under the kilt :D

PS Usual joke, madam there is nothing worn under this kilt, it is all in perfect working order

Not quite - if you go to a Formal event in Scotland you will not see the use of the plaid over the shoulder which is a trend that has crept in from left field recently. A Prince Charles jacket or an Argyle can easily be formal, it is what it is worn with that is the issue - if it is a white shirt and bow tie that is formal, if it is an ordinary tie, most would see that as informal and if it is open neck or a tie neck (think braveheart) it is a casual outfit (and would actually not have a jacket)

Now I do hope the Dress code is rewritten properly to address what is worn under the kilt :D

PS Usual joke, madam there is nothing worn under this kilt, it is all in perfect working order

I think that perhaps this is an example of verbiage. The dilemma here is that formal and informal have fallen out of common usage and most folks don't think in terms of a tuxedo being "informal".

If by formal you are referring to White Tie, where the other gentlemen at the event will be in tails and white tie and vest, then you are not correct. At events that call for White Tie the doublet is the proper jacket to don.

If by formal you mean a dressy wedding or a gala event, or a cruise formal evening, where the other guests will be in Black Tie, or Tuxedos, then you are perfectly correct, these (informal) events would be perfectly appropriate places to wear the shorter jacket.

The sash is a personal preference and a contemporary trend perhaps? I do not have enough expertise to detail the (the endless ; -) accessories that are part of the kilt kit. But the jacket details I know. Going to a formal State Dinner? Get that Traditional Doublet out!

An' as a braw Scotsman ah wid expect nay LESS than a' equipment tae be in hum dinger condition. Th' Scots ur thrifty fowk, thay tak' care o' thair tools. ; -)

Actually, I believe that the jacket and vest in the photo is a Prince Charlie, not a formal doublet. :)

I don't happen to agree with this. When a person books a cruise, they book with a cruise line than has established a certain style and ambiance. Most people book with that line in part for that style and ambiance, and not just as a convenient transport vehicle to ports they want to visit. If the cruise line requests certain dress styles for certain evenings, a person should have enough consideration to honor that request. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but to me participating in the ambiance the cruise line promotes is the honorable thing to do. The "It's my vacation, I will do whatever I want" attitude is disrespectful to the people who actually care about the atmosphere the cruise line is presenting.

One thing that is as certain as death and taxes, is that at least one poster will chime in on each and every dress code thread with the unimaginative "Do what you want, who cares what other people think" comment, which clearly displays a total disregard for the other passengers around him.

IMO I think a lot people pick a cruise based on Price & Itinerary. I think dress code would be something more towards the bottom of the list.

IMO I think a lot people pick a cruise based on Price & Itinerary. I think dress code would be something more towards the bottom of the list.

Right! just like if I went to the opera, but wore flip flops, shorts and a tank top because, after all, I am there for the performance, not to dress up, and I think that the dress code should be at the bottom of the list. After all, it's no one's business how I dress.

Right! just like if a mechanic went to a wedding dressed in his work clothes because he is there to see the ceremony, not to dress up, and he thinks that the dress code should be at the bottom of the list. After all, he is attending during his personal time off, so he is going to wear whatever he wants.

Right! Just like if you went to a formal benefit dinner wearing jeans and a tube top, because you are attending only to donate money, not to dress up, and you think that the dress code should be at the bottom of the list. After all, your money is as good as all those pompous show offs in their tuxes and gowns.

In all these examples, the people chose to go for the event, not to dress up, so why should they bother wearing the customary style of clothing.

I find it amazing how certain people, who are too self centered to think of any one other than themselves, deliberately ignore the customs of a particular situation in their selfish need to rationalize their "it's all about me" attitudes.

I don't understand why people pick a cruise line

that has a dress code and style they don't

believe in and then want to change them and do

what they want anyway.

Why not save yourself the trouble and pick a cruise line (there are so many out there) that do what you approve of.

For example if you are so averse to dressing like an adult for the evening, pick a line that doesn't

require it. If that doesn't work, you should not cruise.

Dressing well for the evening is expected....and rushing back to change into slobs after eating is infantile.

Completely agree with you. I'm not saying it's right, but I wouldn't think most new cruisers even consider the dress code when picking a cruise line. If I were booking an All Inclusive, I honestly wouldn't even think about checking the dress codes between different resorts.

We sailed on the Celebrity Solstice in November and my husband did not bring a jqcket and they almost denied him access to the MDR on formal night. They relented and let him in and then we had the norovirusnand everyone was coming to the MDR so they relaxed the dress code for the formal nights. So on our next cruise he will be bringing a jacket. Soooo please men bring your sports jacket so you don't come across this problem. On informal nights jeans and a sports shirt is fine. Happy sailing on celebrity. The best cruise line.

Completely agree with you. I'm not saying it's right, but I wouldn't think most new cruisers even consider the dress code when picking a cruise line. If I were booking an All Inclusive, I honestly wouldn't even think about checking the dress codes between different resorts.

And yet another clueless cruiser who can't be bothered to learn the customs of the cruise line they are on.

To take this to the extreme, let's say my husband and I are nudists (look at my avatar photo and use your imagination :D ). We book a cruise on Celebrity ONLY because the price was right for the itinerary. We don't bother to learn anything about the cruise line, what it stands for, the atmosphere it is trying to create for it's customers, what is the customary way of life on this line. We only care about where it goes, and that the price is cheap enough for us.

So, we blissfully proceed to walk on the ship, head straight to the pool, and strip down to our birthday suits (very old birthday suits, mind you!). To heck with the dress code, we're not on this tub to dress up. After all, it's our cruise, we're only here so we can get from point A to point B. Who cares about the rules and what other people think?

Outrageous? If you can think the way you want, why not us?

(BTW: there isn't any statement on Celebrity's web site that says I can't be nude around the pool - that is, if I even bothered to go to the trouble to find out what is acceptable on this particular cruise line)

Disagree.

One would have to be foolish not to consider demographics which would include dress when choosing a cruise

Disagree.

One would have to be foolish not to consider demograohics which would include dress when choosing a cruise

But you're assuming new cruises even know there is a different demographic between the different main stream lines. I recommend cruises to at least 5 or 6 different couples a year and help them find the right one, 90% are honestly stunned when I talk about different dress codes. And I work with financial executives, high paid.

Right! just like if I went to the opera, but wore flip flops, shorts and a tank top because, after all, I am there for the performance, not to dress up, and I think that the dress code should be at the bottom of the list. After all, it's no one's business how I dress.

Right! just like if a mechanic went to a wedding dressed in his work clothes because he is there to see the ceremony, not to dress up, and he thinks that the dress code should be at the bottom of the list. After all, he is attending during his personal time off, so he is going to wear whatever he wants.

Right! Just like if you went to a formal benefit dinner wearing jeans and a tube top, because you are attending only to donate money, not to dress up, and you think that the dress code should be at the bottom of the list. After all, your money is as good as all those pompous show offs in their tuxes and gowns.

In all these examples, the people chose to go for the event, not to dress up, so why should they bother wearing the customary style of clothing.

I find it amazing how certain people, who are too self centered to think of any one other than themselves, deliberately ignore the customs of a particular situation in their selfish need to rationalize their "it's all about me" attitudes.

One of the BEST dress code post of ALL-TIME

:cj

But you're assuming new cruises even know there is a different demographic between the different main stream lines. I recommend cruises to at least 5 or 6 different couples a year and help them find the right one, 90% are honestly stunned when I talk about different dress codes. And I work with financial executives, high paid.

That people are willing to spend several thousand dollars and not be bothered to learn what they are buying absolutely amazes me! Similar to buying a car, where each make and model is different, each cruise line, and each of their ships, is different. A rational person buying a car, new or used, would at least sit in it, see what accessories it has and color it is, and make sure it is a fit for them. But, they can't be bothered when buying a cruise?? That's irresponsible, IMHO.

Frightning.Sounds like I wouldn't want some of those people near my money,but a lot of people invest without doing their homework

That people are willing to spend several thousand dollars and not be bothered to learn what they are buying absolutely amazes me! Like buying a car, each make and model is different. A rational person would at least sit in one, try it out, see what accessories and colors are available, make sure it is a fit for them. But, they can't be bothered when buying a cruise?? That's irresponsible, IMHO.

I totally agree with you. In my earlier post I said I don't think it's right but it seems to be reality for a lot of people.

We sailed on the Celebrity Solstice in November and my husband did not bring a jqcket and they almost denied him access to the MDR on formal night. They relented and let him in and then we had the norovirusnand everyone was coming to the MDR so they relaxed the dress code for the formal nights. So on our next cruise he will be bringing a jacket. Soooo please men bring your sports jacket so you don't come across this problem. On informal nights jeans and a sports shirt is fine. Happy sailing on celebrity. The best cruise line.

We were on Solstice Nov 4, 2011 in the MED and on all formal nights we saw many men in short sleeve shirt and slacks. NO JACKET, TIE and no one said a word to them. We did not have any virus.

This is one of the problems with each cruise, ship, staff. There are so inconsistent that they - STAFF - who represent cruise line, create the problems by not enforcing the dress code and other rules such as kids in the adult pools, etc.

We were on Solstice Nov 4, 2011 in the MED and on all formal nights we saw many men in short sleeve shirt and slacks. NO JACKET, TIE and no one said a word to them. We did not have any virus.

This is one of the problems with each cruise, ship, staff. There are so inconsistent that they - STAFF - who represent cruise line, create the problems by not enforcing the dress code and other rules such as kids in the adult pools, etc.

Absolutely agree! If a passenger actually tried to adhere to the dress code the first time they cruised on a Celebrity ship and saw that people were getting away with dressing down, it's understandable that the next time they cruised with Celebrity they would think twice about bothering to dress up, and end up making the situation even worse. A vicious cycle of knowing that compliance was not demanded the last time, so the next time only a minimal attempt is made to be compliant.

Absolutely agree! If a passenger actually tried to adhere to the dress code the first time they cruised on a Celebrity ship and saw that people were getting away with dressing down, it's understandable that the next time they cruised with Celebrity they would think twice about bothering to dress up, and end up making the situation even worse. A vicious cycle of knowing that compliance was not demanded the last time, so the next time only a minimal attempt is made to be compliant.

unless the wife says otherwise:D

We don’t care how other Cruisers are dressed. We don’t care if the staff enforces the suggested evening dress guidelines or not. We don’t care if the Cruise line we are sailing are inconsistent on their own guidelines. We dress in accordance with the suggested evening dress guidelines because that’s what we choose to do. Too each their own.

I completely agree with you. Itinerary, ship, and cost are the things that matter to us. Dress code and formal nights are really at the bottom of our list.

Archived