Dress code changes

Mathguy42

I will be on yet another "cruise of a lifetime" in a few weeks. I consider each cruise the same..an opportunity to be savored. My DH will wear a tux (because he loves to and there are not many opportunities to do so anymore) and he may wear a white dinner jacket (in season or not..this IS the Caribbean). I may sport a gown or cocktail dress or two...depends on the day..whatever I decide...we will honor our host's request and have a grand time regardless of those that cannot be bothered to do so. Cruise on!

It's been a while since my S.O. and I sailed Celebrity but we noticed in reading our cruise documents that tuxedoes are no longer de riguer and in fact, neither are suits for formal nights. I read the guidelines carefully and it looks like slacks, shirt with either sports coat or blazer will do for formal and just polos or casual shirt and slacks on the informal nights. Correct? If this is the case, we might even get away with carry-on luggage only...:)

I would respectfully suggest that you have not read the Celebrity guidlines, which clearly contradict your assessment of the suggested dress code for formal nights in the main dining room. Quite simply, it is tux, suit, or dinner jacket for males. Insofar as your girl friend is concerned, I will suggest that the women may be better equipped to advise her as to her proper adornment.

We've seen lots of Kilts! I think they are quite handsome! It is formal.

A white dinner jacket is proper formal wear from Memorial Day until Labor Day.

The black tux is proper the rest of the year. But I guess it depends on where you are.

We've seen very few tuxes, lots of dark suits and ties, some pants, shirts and blue blazers, and someone in a golf shirt being turned away because he didn't have a jacket. A tie does not seem to be mandatory.

The last cruise we saw the dress code really adhered to and enforced was in 2007 on the Summit. After that it got more relaxed everytime we've sailed.

My husband used to take his tux, now he takes a dark suit and tie for formal night.

TO DZCRUISERS,

Sorry, but your info in regards to "White Tie" (a White Dinner Jacket) is incorrect.

It is not tied to Time of Year, or Location. It is strictly the "ultimate" in formality.

You can check it out on line with the likes of Emily Post etc.

It is what is often worn for events such as State Dinners etc.

As for the Captain's Dress... again the white tuxedo-cut jacket gives a nod to formality.

And as to the colour white vs navy... I am guessing that if someone did a search (any Navy types amongst us)... one would quickly see that it too is a tip of the hat to the utmost of formality... what some of us refer to as "Navy Whites" or the Navy's Traditional Dress Uniform.

Based on the cut of the Captain's dinner jacket... I'm guessing at some point that Navy Traditions merged with State / Political Dresscodes.

Cheers!

So where do men who post here purchase your formal attire? Or do most of you rent? DH is considering a tuxedo or dinner jacket. He actually likes dressing for dinner.

Hi JeanfromBNA,

Men can certainly rent... it is easy enough to do (Tuxedo shows up in your Stateroom). There is a link on Celebrity's Website.

Mr Sloop looked at that option... but in the end he decided to just purchase a "gently used" tuxedo from a Rental Place here in our hometown.

We figured out that buying was a better investment (lol, even better than purchasing a new "regular" suit)

Mr Sloop is retired, and not a lot of occasions any more to get dressed up and wear a suit.

Which is why he thought he'd rent... the price of a rental wasn't that bad... so we went to a neighbourhood Tuxedo Rental spot here to have his measurements professionally taken.

When at the Rental Place, we discovered that for less than renting 2x we could buy a "gently used tuxedo" and have all alterations done etc.

In that we intend to cruise again, and have 3 children none of whom are married yet... there is also a good chance that a tuxedo will get a lot more wear in the next few years than a suit ever would (and a suit was going to cost a lot more than the $ 200 he laid out for the tuxedo).

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

I'm amazed at the number of posts that I've seen regarding formal attire. I applaud Celebrity and any other cruise line who attempt to maintain the last vestiges of formality. I'm guessing that many of us are near 60 in either direction. We grew up in an era where formality was expected. You dressed up to go to church. You dressed up to go out to eat. You dresssed up to go to work. I can remember in 1972, a coworker being sent home for wearing a turtleneck instead of a tie. I think the best way we can preserve formality in attire is by example. For those of you in a younger generation, please carry on the tradition.

will do. :)

We were on the Connie for two weeks last month. I would estimate that between 25% & 30% of the men were in tuxes and dinner jackets (quite acceptable in the tropics year round) with the most of balance being in dark business suits. I observed very few blazers or sport jackets.

Last year on the Equinox I wore a navy blue blazer, dress shirt, tie, dark slacks and dress shoes. No one said anything or gave me a dirty look. Only a two year old would comment on what someone else chooses to wear and evidently there were no two year olds on the cruise!;)

Last year on the Equinox I wore a navy blue blazer, dress shirt, tie, dark slacks and dress shoes. No one said anything or gave me a dirty look. Only a two year old would comment on what someone else chooses to wear and evidently there were no two year olds on the cruise!;)

Greetings

No worries, you will probably get flamed here because you chose to report your dress code indiscretions.

So since you chose the blazer route and have no agenda telling everyone that sportcoats and blazers are uncommon, did you observe a fair number of sportcoats/blazers or were you a rare bird?

Good Sailing

Tom

I traveled for 20 years on my job and got more than tired of dealing with luggage. We choose not to do formal dress because it would require us to bring an additional bag. On our next cruise in May we're going early to Rome on our own and then taking a train to Venice and another suitcase is just more hassle than it's worth. On formal nights we will simply choose alternate dining where this isn't an issue.

Greetings

No worries, you will probably get flamed here because you chose to report your dress code indiscretions.

So since you chose the blazer route and have no agenda telling everyone that sportcoats and blazers are uncommon, did you observe a fair number of sportcoats/blazers or were you a rare bird?

Good Sailing

Tom

First, I really don't care if two year olds choose to flame me.

Second, although maybe you do, I do not consider what I wore an "indiscretion."

And finally, I was too busy enjoying the company of my wife at dinner to observe or count what others were wearing.

On page 98:

Q. Is there a dress code in the dining room?

A. Yes. Depending on the length of your itinerary, between one and three nights will be designated as formal, with the remainder designated as "Smart Casual and Above." The dress code in Celebrity's specialty restaurants, including Blu for our AquaClass guests, is "Smart Casual and Above" for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on formal evenings. Please note the T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps, and pool wear are not permitted in the main dining room at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not permitted after 6:00p.m.

I would respectfully suggest that you have not read the Celebrity guidlines, which clearly contradict your assessment of the suggested dress code for formal nights in the main dining room. Quite simply, it is tux, suit, or dinner jacket for males. Insofar as your girl friend is concerned, I will suggest that the women may be better equipped to advise her as to her proper adornment.

1. Yes, I did read.

2. I needed clarification on what was meant by "dinner jacket."

3. That clarificatiion was provided by another post.

4. I did not mention having a girlfriend in my post, so maybe it's you who have not read? (respectfully, of course). My S.O. is also male.

5. I cannot imagine it being offensive to ANYONE to show up on formal night, dressed smartly in jacket, dress shirt and tie. Furthermore, if I were to do so and somebody commented negatively about my lack of adherence to the dress code, I would respond with: "I have at least the good manners NOT to comment on YOUR apparel." :D

My two cents:

First of all, formal nights, for me, have become somewhat of a hassle...We typically take long cruises (14 nights or more) and tack on several days (as much as a week or more) both before and after...and we fly to get there...With current luggage restrictions on the airlines, there is an extreme need to pack "light"...So, I do look forward to the days when formal nights are gone...and have enjoyed my Oceania cruises--suince they have no formal nights...

That said, as long as the "rules" are what they are, I play along...

I almost always wear a tux...Although I own my own tux, I seldom pack it...Takes up too much spaxe in the luggage and will get wrinkled and ruffled in transit...So, I rent one through the cruise line's formalwear contractor...Which often ends up in some frustrating situations...I wear a Size 46 short or 48 short jacket...One time they sent me a 38!! This last cruise, they delivered a 48 LONG...The jacket came down to my knees...the sleeves about six inches beyond my fingertips...They didn't deliver the tux until about an hour before the first formal night...so I never got a chance to try it on before I needed to get dressed...and we were invited to the CAPTAIN'S TABLE that night! One hour of stress trying to get them to replace the jacket...

I am tempted, rather than the rented tux, to pack my BLACK blazer (see below, could be called a dinner jacket--I usually wear it with black or dark gray slacks) and black slacks...With a white shirt and conservative tie, it appears very formal...It's not a tuxedo per se, but gives a similar formal appearance...Easier to pack and travel than my tux since I don't need the cummerbund, studs, cufflinks and other acoutrements of the tux.

IMHO, Formal night on a ship, for men, should be preferably a tuxedo...or a customary dinner jacket--white or black is acceptable--with black pants...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4nLy53KTQDqwQI0b4jNoB2NhSJMdKoeWAVuw4hwgJQIoumJ94vt_MWuU images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzs5q_sMFHcEM3MLLVQSYjVFhc7-yJAWL46YNgOherW52EUGbDhT3kaQ

A black or very conservative dark gray suit would be a fall-back...

Kilts are perfectly fine...

So are Military "Dress" uniforms...

Light-colored or plaid or loud or tweed suits or sports coats are NOT formal--though I've seen a few on formal nights and I don't think they will kick you out of the Dining Room for wearing a "not quite formal" coat and tie...It's just that it doesn't really look right...

A few years ago, we were on a Carnival cruise and I commented to my wife that "Formal" on Carnival looked like it meant the T-Shirts without the holes and the "good" jeans...

Celebrity tends to be a little more formal than some of the other lines...but it's really due to the clientele, not necessarily to cruise line enforcement...I think most Celebrity cruisers understand what "formal" means...and own the appropriate attire...

...I guess the key is what you interpret 'dinner jacket' to mean, and whether or not you want to try to enter without a jacket at all. I interpret it to be a dressy sport coat in the least...

Observations from past cruises would leave me to believe that one would have no issues getting into the dining room on formal nights with a dressy sport coat even though that is not formal.

However a dressy sport coat is not a dinner jacket. There is no need to interpret what dinner jacket means as it is cleary defined as a formal type jacket similar to a tux. If anyone questions if this is true or not then I'd suggest you google "dinner jacket" and click images, or look up the definition.

I was on the Millie a few months ago and on formal night, the maitre'd had extra white dinner jackets in the MDR. When someone came in without a jacket, he would lend him the jacket and let him carry the jacket to his table. After he was seated, the maitre'd would then take the jacket back to the front of the MDR. What a joke!

They did this one evening in the Normandie. We opted to eat at the Normandie on a formal night, the daily said that it was smart casual for the Normandie. DH & DF wore shirt & tie while us ladies did slacks & a blouse. The Maitre'd came over and places jackets on the backs of DH & DF chairs. We were all a little confused.

So where do men who post here purchase your formal attire? Or do most of you rent? DH is considering a tuxedo or dinner jacket. He actually likes dressing for dinner.

I love how well tailored vintage suits are, and the Spouse looks smashing in his BB shawl collared tuxedo from the 50's. He has a wonderful peak lapel double breasted from the late 40's as well.

I find them in vintage shops, and have had particularly good luck in the thrift shops run by large auxiliary groups, such as for the ballet or opera. You will find newer ones as well, often seemingly unworn, for a fraction of new.

If you don't live near a metropolitian area that would offer a selection of shops such as these, or if you prefer new, but at a reasonable price, then check The Nordstrom Rack if you have one near. I have seen racks of formal wear there, with quite good size selections.

Formal companies changing inventory sell from their shops and also send to donation groups such as salvation army. Occasionally these thrift stores will get a huge rack in and price them very low, perhaps $10 for a jacket, $5 for pants.

My advice is buy what ever suit fits your price point and you. Then spend a bit extra and buy a really NICE shirt, silk (self tied) bow tie and cummerbund, or vest, as you prefer. A good quality shirt and tie will make a very ordinary formal suit look really top notch.

Ok, a bit of clarification here. The terms: formal, informal, tux, dinner jacket, tails, black tie, white tie and dress mess all have very specific meanings and they are getting confused here.

A pictorial sartorial guide;

img-mens-formal-wear-01.jpg

White tie, in the center, refers to a tail coat with white shirt vest and tie. This is as formal as western mens evening dress gets. It is what you would find at a State Dinner.

Morning suit, to the left, is the daytime equivalent. It would be properly worn at formal events before 5pm.

Black tie, on the right, also known as a Tuxedo, is a black suit where the lapels are faced with satin and a stripe up the side in satin trims the trousers outer side seam. It is worn with a white shirt, usually pleated, and a black bow tie and cummerbund or a coloured tie and vest or cummerbund. It is properly called Informal (in comparison to the Formal White tie). Common usage now is to refer to black tie as Formal, as is done on the cruise lines.

5500-50-riviera_r.jpg

A white dinner jacket may be substituted for the black jacket of a tuxedo. It is not actually white, instead it is a pale cream, as wool does not come in a stark white. Many white dinner jackets are made of synthetic these days. If you get one of these jackets do not let them put you into one of the optic white versions. This dress is also properly referred to as Informal, but common usage has shifted to Formal as on the cruise ships.

Regulation_doublet_highlandclans_co_uk_2b.jpg

A proper kilt may be kitted out for Formal or Informal wear. The most distinguishing feature between the levels of formality in kilt attire is the cut of the jacket. This picture is of the Formal doublet jacket. A prince charles or argyle jacket would be appropriate for an Informal event, such as a Formal night on a cruise.

DSCF6641.JPG

Dress mess is a Formal attire for military and merchant marines, such as officers on cruise ships. There are an abundance of versions, as many as there are nations, militaries, services and ranks. It comprises a short jacket and formal pants with stripe. All other details, including headgear, are subject to change ; -) There are also dark versions available as well.

iphone_031_nmt4.jpg

Dress whites are the Informal version of attire for military and merchant marines, such as officers on cruise ships. There are an abundance of versions, as many as there are nations, militaries, services and ranks. There are also dark versions available as well.

3746P_01.tif&tmp=FullSize&redirect=0

A Business suit is a matching suit coat and pants, tailored from the same fabric. It is the same in cut as a tuxedo, or a dinner jacket, but has no stripe up the outer pants seam, and the lapels are faced from the same fabric as the body of the suit. Suits come in 2 piece, The jacket and pants, or the three piece, which also includes a vest, or waistcoat. They can be single or double breasted. Choice of shirt and tie determine to a large extent how dressy a suit is. A white broadcloth or poplin shirt would be the most formal choice for a dress shirt, but oxford and twill shirts are also common.

ALL OF THE ABOVE ATTIRE MEETS THE CELEBRITY FORMAL DRESS CODE.

A navy blazer or a Sport coat are a less formal option for dressy mens attire. The navy blazer, traditionally made of hopsack, originally was part of the naval uniform. Most typically buttons are of brass or silver. The Sport coat is commonly made of tweed, plaid, corduroy or herringbone. Buttons are traditionally horn or leather. Lighter weight versions in linen for warm climates are also found. It is styled in the same manner as a suit jacket, but usually with a looser more casual cut. These jackets are worn with mens dress slacks of a different colour than the jacket and shirt, with or with out a tie, or a turtleneck. Blazers may be single or double breasted, sport coats are typically single breasted.

While the blazer or sport coat do not meet the stated X dress code, reports from many sources confirm that these options will be accepted, with a tie, in the MDR on formal nights.

we have just come back off the silohuette on friday and i was very very disappointed with the so called formal nights.no atmosphere,lots of people not adhering to the dress code,and i kid you not on one formal night a lady came out of the mdr in a pair of pyjamas and two ladies in jogsuits,it just would not be allowed on p and o or cunard,it spoils it for everybody who has gone to the trouble to dress up,celebrity need to make their minds up its either a formal night or its not!!!!we have done 4 cruises with princess and p and o and their formal nights were something special-on celebrity just the same as every other night with the odd person making an effort,and that is not just my opinion,lots of othe guests commented on it too.

You need to go to the Princess website and read "Truly appalling dress in the MDR." It seems that some passengers on all cruiselines are having the same complaints.

Ontario Cruiser

I don't happen to agree with this. When a person books a cruise, they book with a cruise line than has established a certain style and ambiance. Most people book with that line in part for that style and ambiance, and not just as a convenient transport vehicle to ports they want to visit. If the cruise line requests certain dress styles for certain evenings, a person should have enough consideration to honor that request. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but to me participating in the ambiance the cruise line promotes is the honorable thing to do. The "It's my vacation, I will do whatever I want" attitude is disrespectful to the people who actually care about the atmosphere the cruise line is presenting.

One thing that is as certain as death and taxes, is that at least one poster will chime in on each and every dress code thread with the unimaginative "Do what you want, who cares what other people think" comment, which clearly displays a total disregard for the other passengers around him.

Excellent post and just the way I feel about it.

Observations from past cruises would leave me to believe that one would have no issues getting into the dining room on formal nights with a dressy sport coat even though that is not formal.

However a dressy sport coat is not a dinner jacket. There is no need to interpret what dinner jacket means as it is cleary defined as a formal type jacket similar to a tux. If anyone questions if this is true or not then I'd suggest you google "dinner jacket" and click images, or look up the definition.

Very clear. No "interpretation" necessary. That's just an excuse.

Phil

We just got off the Eclipse and we were at Guest Relations desk and heard a woman complaining about her husband being denied access to the dining room at night because he was wearing shorts. Maybe there is still hope. :-)

Good. She shouldn't complain, he shouldn't have been admitted. I have no problem with a Sport Coat, Tie, and Dress Trousers for the MDR on Formal night.

Archived