Stupid Question? Maybe Not! But please help anyway!

stephaniemason0316

We are looking at taking our cruise to either the Bahamas or the Caribbean going out of Florida or New Oreleans (and possibly New York). As you may know, most of these cruises are cheaper in September... My question is.. would a cruise to these places be safe enough around September 16th or so? Or is that when the possiblity of hurricanes are greater?

Sorry if this is a dumb questions. I usually take cruises to Mexico in April or October and I don't deal with Hurricanes in the west coast. :D

Thanks for taking the time to answer.....

As a long time cruiser, we have cruised many times in September, our anniversary is the 3rd and my wife's birthday is the 18th. Out of 25-30 cruises in September we had to reroute our ports of call only once. They avoid the hurricane areas at all costs. No way will they put the ship and their passengers in harms way. Go and have a great time.

We have always cruised in Sept for the cheap prices==cruises with out kids etc etc.

- with that being said- you do not book a cruise during that time if your heart is set on any particular island.

if a hurricane is brewing your cruise will be rerouted elsewhere... your bahama cruise could become a eastern cruise.

The cruiselines are not going to put their million dollar babies in harms way

The rates are lower then because of hurricane season.

But - even during hurricane season cruises are not usually cancelled. So, if you are not concerned about being rerouted then it's not going to be an issue.

If you do have your heart set on a particular port - you need to understand that if there is a hurricane you might not make it to a port on your itinerary - because the cruise line is going to put the safety of the vessel and passengers first - over keeping the itinerary. ;)

My wife and I have cruised twice during hurricane season. Both times we did not have a problem and the reason we booked at that time was because of the price. Each time the ship was fully booked. It usually is anytime anyway.

We always went with the idea that if we get diverted from our planned itinerary, who cares. We are on vacation and we will be somewhere warm, even if that means being at sea, on a lounge chair, drink in hand, sun on our faces and most importantly, away from life.

Enjoy your cruise!

My wife and I have cruised twice during hurricane season. Both times we did not have a problem and the reason we booked at that time was because of the price. Each time the ship was fully booked. It usually is anytime anyway.

We always went with the idea that if we get diverted from our planned itinerary' date=' who cares. We are on vacation and we will be somewhere warm, even if that means being at sea, on a lounge chair, drink in hand, sun on our faces and most importantly, away from life.

[/b']

Enjoy your cruise!

Exactly!! ;) :D

I have often cruised in September or October. Yes, hurricanes are possible and likely at that time of year, but they will never sail you into one! If a hurricane is directly impacting ports on your itinerary, they will likely just change the itinerary. So just be prepared to maybe miss a port, or end up at a different one. The risks of cruising at that time of year have not stopped me from booking my next cruise for October this year.:)

Everyone else has commented on the time of year, I always go in the spring so listen to them.

However, I DO have an opinion on NO or Miami. First cruise we did, March I think, we sailed from NOLA. For the first, and last days, its was too cool for us. Look at the map, takes almost a day to get from NOLA to as far south as Miami is, so we felt we lost almost 2 days of sun/deck/relaxation time because of the temp differences between NOLA and MIami.

Now I liked NOLA as a port and city, we spent extra day before and after, visiting sites, it was before Katrina, but it was chilly and windy and uncomfortable to be on deck.

I dislike Miami airport and port, but when considering the weather vs those negatives, sunshine wins out!

my 2 cents, actually Port Everglades was the best port experience for us, but thats another story

I think Sept is plenty hot enough to do either cruise. Now January is a another story.

Ive had major issues more than once due to storms and hurricane. I went out of Galveston on Conquest and we came back in one day later to NOLA and then had to find a way to get home with no help or any compensation from Carnival. I am so surprised that they give compensation for missing ports .. but not for missing the home port. Nadda help. that was my one bad cruise with Carnival I speak of and how lacking Carnival was in handling it. very poorly handled. If I found that CD lady was on a ship, I would try to change ships.

I have also missed 2 out of 3 ports .. so if thats all that happens, just remind yourself the ports are not guaranteed.

First of all...take out travel insurance. If you miss a port you can always make a claim under trip interruption. At least that is what my clients used to do whenever impacted by a storm. My personal feeling is...if you bought a 7 day cruise all the ship has to do is deliver a 7 day cruise even if it means an extra sea day.

Thanks everyone for your input. We don't really care about where we go or if we get re-routed. As long as we are out on that cruise ship, away from life, we are good to go. I think we might try our next cruise to the Bahamas instead of Mexico in October like we did last year! I appreciate everyone's time. ;)

Archived