International Cafe

Britiscruizin

Everything at the International Cafe is free except for the gelato. I didn't try it so I don't remember how much it was; maybe $3 or so?

It's right next to the coffee station (which is not free, but you can buy a coffee card for special coffee drinks and unlimited brewed coffee, iced coffee, and special tea).

The menu changes through the day, beginning with breakfast sandwiches and pastries, and then (on the Crown, anyway) really good chicken salad, Greek salad, shrimp salad, hot quiches, and desserts.

One of my cruising rules is "Never say 'no' to tiramisu," and the tiramisu in the IC was better than the dining room version!

In the evening you can get most of the above, plus they will fix you up a nice fruit and cheese plate to nibble right there or carry back to your cabin.

I think it's one of the best things about Princess ships, and I was surprised how many people didn't know about it or assumed there was an upcharge and never tried it.

Have a tiramisu for me!

International Cafe is the best! We posted some of our food pictures from our trip on the Crown on our food album:

http://www.cruisefoods.com/index.php?ship=crown_princess&cat1=3&cat2=2

I highly recommend the chicken salad, tiramisu (watch out, they don't always have it the entire length of the cruise), pistachio cream, and it's worth it to wait around for the cookie man to come out with fresh hot chocolate chip cookies and glasses of milk!

The IC panini sandwiches are awesome as well, you can get them toasted as you order. In the dessert selection, some items seem to change, so if you see something, grab it when you want it. That's one great thing about the IC (on the Grand at least) it's just a walk up counter, never more than 1 person ahead of me at the counter, and you can just get something as you walk by. You don't have to have it as part of a sit-down meal.

DW loved the chicken salad and I really liked the chicken sandwiches (I think I had about 6 of them over 4 days.) Pastries were great.

It was a bit of a surprise that they charge for iced tea at the little bar next to the IC (or at least that's what the bartender told me).

You might have a bit of a wait if you happen to go there when they're changing out the food - took them about 10 minutes to "reset" at lunch.

I don't see an International Cafe in the information about the Island. :( Are the usual IC items available somewhere else on the Island or are we out of luck?

The Island's patisserie will have pastries in the morning similar to the IC, but no breakfast sandwiches, paninis, salads, etc. There are also fresh baked cookies served there in the afternoons.

For the ships that have gelato at the International Cafe I believe it is only $1.50 for three scoops. Everything else is complimentary.

It is $1.50, but it is more like 3 bowls of gelato instead of scoops...when my wife and I got it on the Crown, we got a lot more than what we needed, but ate it anyway...:D

The best thing about the International Cafe are the breakfast muffins. Ham egg and cheese. Yummy. I used to take a trip down for a good coffee and a McMuffin for early breakfast. Perfect

The Princess McMuffin is now available as a griddle item on the stateroom breakfast menu :)

Bon Appetit!

I had not looked over the Diamond in detail for my May trip till now, being mostly interested in the itenerary, but this thread got me to look more carefully at eating options. NO INTERNATIONAL CAFE!! Doesn't even seem to have an alternative that might have much of what is in the IC. How disappointing.

Anyone here who also went on Diamond have suggestions [other than my local encouragement to diet :(]? I was so looking forward to the chicken salad and tiramisu.

Doug

We Loved the IC on our 14 day Hawaii Cruise Very Much....Tried almost everything by the end of the cruise....:D

TIP:...KEEP A TRAY IN YOUR ROOM DURING THE CRUISE......THIS MADE IT REALLY EASY TO LOAD UP ON ALL THE GOODIES, SALADS, SOUPS, ETC AND BRING IT ALL BACK TO THE ROOM ON A FEW OCCASIONS.....

"Just Order a Bucket of Ice from Room Service and Have them Leave the Tray....Also Tell your Cabin Steward Not To Take It when cleaning up"...

We loved the International Cafe on the Crown. As vegetarians, we loved that there were a few veggie options for us - fresh mozzarella/tomato panini, Greek salad, grilled veggie salad...there were also some other salads and things but I can't tell you much about them as they had meat or fish in them. There were lots of options there for a light lunch. There were also TONS of little desserts, some of them were different each day. There were ones in a tall display case that stayed mostly the same (cheesecake, tiramisu, chocolate pudding, etc.) and there were some in the larger front case that changed up each day. There was also gelato there for a small additional charge. Also attached to the International Cafe was the coffee area.

It is $1.50, but it is more like 3 bowls of gelato instead of scoops...when my wife and I got it on the Crown, we got a lot more than what we needed, but ate it anyway...:D

To me the Princess gelato is not like in Italy but is still good 'ice cream' & a worthwhile treat even with having the same daily choices. This was my experience on the Crown so others may have different experiences.

Also on the Crown whenever I ate at the IC the choices of sandwiches & salads were the same unlike the variety experienced on other ships. Hopefully this lack of variety was just when I went there & won't become the norm on all ships. I missed having a Reuben sandwich which I've enjoyed on other ships.

The IC is still our favorite spot for a quick bite to eat but also looking forward to Alfredo's Pizzeria on the Sapphire in a couple of weeks even though it won't be as quick as the IC.

I love the International Cafe. It is one of the best aspects of cruising with Princess. They had me the first afternoon when I was watching some entertainers and fresh baked, gooey, chocolate chip cookies appeared out of nowhere accompanied by, "would you like cold milk with a hot cookie?" I seldom have room for dessert with dinner (except for ice cream); but after the show...a pastry is nice. On port days when you need to be off the ship early, a fresh "mcmuffin" is perfect. The shrimp salad is amazing.

Archived