Suite Question: What is the "Exclusive Elite Lounge"?

jchipgcs

Look for a card in your room when you board. It lists the menu for the Platinum, Elite & suite lounge for each night of your cruise. We have usually been checked the first time we go to the reception on a cruise, but they recognize us from then on.

Yes, in our experience, if they don't already know you, they check your card. I've seen people turned away... but I'm sure that if you insisted on staying, they wouldn't give you the bum's rush out. And I sorta pity the person who would actually lie and say they are in a suite just to get some free hors d'oeuvres and lower-priced drinks... :rolleyes:

On the Diamond back in December after a long hot day ashore, we decided to head up to Skywalkers for a cool drink out of the sun & some quite time, knowing it is mostly not very crowded...

We just waltzed on in - gee this is nice we said to each other, all this lovely food, we should come here more often, why don't more people come here??

It was only on my way back in after visit to the loo that I noticed the "Elite Lounge" sign. Feeling very uncomfortable as lowly Gold members, we quietly finished our drinks and slipped out, feeling everyone was watching us with evil eyes for intruding on their space....

From then on it was the Wakeview Bar for us for when we just wanted time out from the crowd...

On the Diamond last MAy Beijing to Vancouver they checked the cards of almost everyone. In November on the Emerald there didn't seem to be anyone checking.

But they did have the sign up saying it was for Elite and Platinum only.

We really enjoy this perk. On our recent Emerald cruises, we received the schedule/ listing of drinks and hors doerves every cruise, which was hugely appreciated. Last year we never once received the schedule, and it certainly complicated things when the lounge was skipped on CC party nights. We only order the drink special a few times each cruise; other times we used our UKP and soda stickers to get drinks. The Stilton cheese with port wine reduction and the goat cheese nights are not to be missed. I love the cheeses and the drinks on those nights.

No, it's not as good as getting the free drinks each evening that we can get on X and RC, and the minibar isn't a good substitute for that, but, frankly, I don't need or want a drink every night, and the Princess lounge encourages me to enjoy only those drinks I like best.

And it's much more fun when you meet people to enjoy it with. On our cruises where we knew people, we seldom, if ever, missed it. If you are traveling alone and don't really meet anyone, it's not as special. Then it just becomes more food, although, in our experience, it has always been delicious and beautifully served.

• 1 month later...
4 Friends of us are cruising with us but they are not Platinum yet. Can we take them to the "Elite Lounge" and also, how many guests can each person take?

Theo

Yes, most of the time no one is there checking so anyone can just walk right in. Or tell them you are in a suite and go in.

On the other hand, if you're there for the booze special as well as nosh, I wonder what would happen if you handed the bartender a blue or gold card.

You would receive a glass filled with ice with a splash of drink added for color. When this first started about 2 years ago now the drinks were okay and $2.99. it was an enjoyable experience. However, on recent cruises the drinks, now $3.99 have held mostly ice to the point of being ridiculous. This has been a point of contention more than a few times. On one trip they served Rob Roy's, and there wasn't more than 1/4 inch of drink in the glass surrounding the ice ! It was sent back. We go now to be sociable and see friends, but have abandoned the DoD.

The perk isn't all that great a bonus. The most people I've even seen there is maybe 20 or so.

That makes it more attractive to me.

We went a few nights on Sapphire in 2009 and it was almost empty. It was a nice setting (Skywalker's) and the hors d'ouevres (sp) were very nice, much better than just munching on peanuts.

That makes it more attractive to me.

We went a few nights on Sapphire in 2009 and it was almost empty. It was a nice setting (Skywalker's) and the hors d'ouevres (sp) were very nice, much better than just munching on peanuts.

On the repositioning cruises (transatlantic) with many frequent traveled passengers the lounge can fill to capacity quickly. This was true on the Grand Princess last November where if you arrived at opening (1700 hrs) there were no seats left. Granted it was in the new One-Five that has IMHO a poor redesign, but still it was jammed. It will be interesting to see what it's like next week when we're crossing back to Europe aboard the Grand Princess.

On our last two cruises, it has been quite empty and although the drinks and snacks weren't spectacular,the setting and view were magnificent. Like some others, we thoroughly enjoy the location! Actually I love Skywalker's any time!

It was like the photos on the Coral Princess a couple of years ago; cheese, veggies and dip on the Crown and Sapphire.

Just off the Golden and there was NOTHING like these pictures portray! Tried it twice only to find pitiful semblances of tortilla chips and some left over salsa. Small pieces of cheese, nondescript crackers and some olives. As we passed on the 'drink of the day' the prices of other drinks are the same in any of the bars throughout the ship. It was crowded and the service was incredibly slow. Would love to have seen anything resembling what these pictures portray as we would have been regulars. We were anytime dining, which is really an oxymoron because you cannot eat 'anytime.' So we tried this venue to have a drink and an appetizer while waiting. Would rather wait in the Lobby Bar even though it was packed with anytime diners waiting with their anytime vibrators telling them when they could eat - anytime. :)

You would receive a glass filled with ice with a splash of drink added for color. When this first started about 2 years ago now the drinks were okay and $2.99. it was an enjoyable experience. However, on recent cruises the drinks, now $3.99 have held mostly ice to the point of being ridiculous. This has been a point of contention more than a few times. On one trip they served Rob Roy's, and there wasn't more than 1/4 inch of drink in the glass surrounding the ice ! It was sent back. We go now to be sociable and see friends, but have abandoned the DoD.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, even the port has dumbed down to a very cheap Ruby port, used to be wonderful 20 year old Sandemans Tawny.

One exception for me is the Frozen Mejor Margarita, not a bad drink, especially if served in a big glass, but they don't always serve a big glass.........

Edited by Griller

And even though it is suppose to be reserved, anyone can go. Most of the time no one is there to check access. And if there is, just say you are in a suite and they will let you in.

That's pretty tacky.

On the repositioning cruises (transatlantic) with many frequent traveled passengers the lounge can fill to capacity quickly. This was true on the Grand Princess last November where if you arrived at opening (1700 hrs) there were no seats left. Granted it was in the new One-Five that has IMHO a poor redesign, but still it was jammed. It will be interesting to see what it's like next week when we're crossing back to Europe aboard the Grand Princess.

See you there, at least when its Stilton night. ! I don't post all my cruises but this will be the tenth on Grand we have done. Always in Skywalkers before.It'll be interesting to see the change.

And even though it is suppose to be reserved, anyone can go. Most of the time no one is there to check access. And if there is, just say you are in a suite and they will let you in.

Personally, I prefer not to steal. But, that's just me.

Personally, I prefer not to steal. But, that's just me.

I agree with the principle...but considering they put out the same thing you can get almost every night elsewhere on the ship for free, and unless you happen to want the one umbrella drink they reduce the price on that day you pay full price for the drinks, I think stealing may be a little harsh...

I agree with the principle...but considering they put out the same thing you can get almost every night elsewhere on the ship for free, and unless you happen to want the one umbrella drink they reduce the price on that day you pay full price for the drinks, I think stealing may be a little harsh...

"Stealing" might be harsh but it's certainly a case of sneaking in somewhere you're not supposed to be. And if it's so blah as people say......why do people seem to want to sneak in?

Not really... you're not going to find the Stilton cheese w/ Port reduction nor the steak tartare anywhere else on the ship...

Yes.

They use the specialty restraurant that is not open that evening.

Thanks Cheryl and I will look forward to it...hope we get to cruise together again sometime. I was looking longingly at the Diamond again this year..but as you can see a bit busy..Keep well.

Sue

Not really... you're not going to find the Stilton cheese w/ Port reduction nor the steak tartare anywhere else on the ship...

Thanks a lot! I'm on my pre-cruise diet, trying to avoid a midnight snack, and just the mention of the Stilton made my mouth water...god, that stuff is good.