Waiting list for pre-set dining?

RedSox5

Just booked today for Veendam to Bermuda April 22nd. This is my 10th cruise, but first on HAL. When we booked online the only option was the 'as you wish' dining. I called and was told the 8pm pre-set (same table, same waiter) was full and that we would be placed on the waiting list. I'm really hoping to have the same table and same waiter due to food allergies- makes it SO much easier if the waiter knows the situation on night 1 rather than having to explain it to a different waiter at a different table each night.

Anyone know from experience what my odds of getting off the waiting list and actually being assigned a table at the pre-set dining are? The girl on the phone said the waiting list was 'relatively short'.

Thanks.

This late in the game, you might not clear the waiting list.

If not, when you get on board go to the room designated for dining assignments, and see about getting switched from open seating to As You Wish---the late fixed. It may take a night or two to find a place for you.

If you can't get switched to As You Wish, you may make a reservation every night for the same table/waiter in open seating.

Good luck finding what works best for you.

And if what Ruth suggests doesn't work, just ask for a menu that complies with your food allergies each day and I'm sure HAL will work with you to make sure everything is A-OK.

We always have Early Seating and each day I select from the menu my choices indicating "no salt".

As soon as you board,immediately find the dining room manager, usually in one of the lounges adjacent to the main dining room. They are there during the boarding process in order to accomodate change requests. If they can't accomodate it at the time, they will put you on a waiting list and your priority will be based on the timing of your request. It always seems easier to secure a late dining confirmation (our preference) than early dining. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

... or at the very least, are able to switch once on board. Thanks.
If you can't get it switched, note your waiter's name and what tables he has. You can then ask for one of his tables as a walk-in, or call in the morning to reserve one. We don't have food allergy problems, so we just take pot-luck for the first two or three nights to decide what tables/waiters we like, and then ask for or reserve one of them for the rest of the cruise.

On a recent cruise the first night we liked the table and server so much that we got a "standing" reservation for that table and time for the entire cruise. If you don't show up within 15 minutes of your time, then they assume you aren't coming and give the table to someone else. So, if you decide to eat elsewhere once and awhile, you still keep the reservation.

Really? I've never seen that listed as an option. I've only see 'open seating' or, if you book early enough to snag them, the early or main fixed seatings.

I may have the HAL terminology wrong here as it's new to me. What I meant to say is that there was only one option and I believe it said "As you wish" - I wasn't sure exactly what that meant, but I didn't have the option to change it. Maybe I'm confused about the logistics. However, when I did call HAL the woman said we were currently signed up for the 'open' dining and NOT for the same table, same time dining. Hope that makes more sense.

I may have the HAL terminology wrong here as it's new to me. What I meant to say is that there was only one option and I believe it said "As you wish" - I wasn't sure exactly what that meant, but I didn't have the option to change it. Maybe I'm confused about the logistics. However, when I did call HAL the woman said we were currently signed up for the 'open' dining and NOT for the same table, same time dining. Hope that makes more sense.

Yes, RedSox.... :) You make sense and we know just what you are saying.

Good luck. I hope you clear the wait list and get fixed, traditional seating. ;)

If you can't move to fixed seating (either early or late), then Open Dining usually works. On our last cruise, we had late seating, and after two nights knew it just wasn't working for us. So, changed to Open Seating (which would have then opened up a table for 2 at 8PM), which we loved. I, too, have food allergies, so it becomes a concern, but my DH is very watchful when I am ordering, if I should miss something. However, at the Open Seating, we were able to always get a table for 2 with our favorite waiter and his assistant!

I would be remiss if I did not include the info that the ship was no where near full, so dining was always easily arranged. But with how very willing HAL has always been to please, it certainly was not a problem for us to have exactly what we wanted in Open Dining.

We had booked open seating and were changed (two times and not our choice) to early fixed to be with in-laws. When we got onboard, my card again said fixed although my boarding pass printed 2 days earlier showed open. I went to the kiosk and got it changed to open. So someone onboard that day was moved to fixed in our place--there's hope for you too.

Thanks, everyone. I'm feeling better about our 'chances' of getting the fixed dining, and at the very least, of having top-notch service with the food allergy not being a deal-breaker even if we do end up with the open dining.

Archived