Comments on AD mini Star Princess

atlantic cruiser

would appreciate comments on this category. want a covered balcony and mini.
Best cabins on the ship IMHO. If I get a mini, this is the category I book. They are private, quiet and get a little bit of sun depending on the ship's direction and angle of the sun. Some people think that because of the larger, covered balcony the cabin tends to be darker but that's never occurred to me nor does it obviously bother me. A few people in the furthest 1-2 cabins towards the aft on the port side have reported sound from the lounge stage below as that's above where the speakers are. Most report no sound and if you're on the starboard side or just a bit further forward, no sound at all.

Am currently booked in mini on Star Princess with no balcony cover. Have waitlisted for the AD. Are balconies the same size and is the location of these minis generally in the aft part of ship. Am first one wait listed for September cruise so hope one clears. Would like some feedback on these versus other mini categories. thanks

Am currently booked in mini on Star Princess with no balcony cover. Have waitlisted for the AD. Are balconies the same size and is the location of these minis generally in the aft part of ship. Am first one wait listed for September cruise so hope one clears. Would like some feedback on these versus other mini categories. thanks

We were in a Mini (cat. AA) and had NO cover and no privacy and would never book it again.

Same size and in the aft..
There are several reasons why I prefer the AD mini's besides the covered balcony. One is that you're just a deck above Promenade making it very easy to get to the main deck. They're near the elevator to the buffet and Skywalkers (and Adagio Lounge, depending on the ship), and to the Traditional dining room (which is my preference.) There are no inside cabins near most of the ADs so the only people going past are those in mini's further aft. Very quiet both outside and inside.

We have an AD booked for our upcoming Alaska cruise on the Star. Made sure I selected a cabin that was on the opposite side of the stage of the Vista lounge just to be on the safe side.

Looking forward to enjoying the covered balcony.

I was in an AD mini on the Star,starboard side. We still did hear some noise from the Vista lounge but it was not super late-really glad we did not get a port AD mini.

I personally felt that we were very isolated in that location and the cabin seemed darker and rather closed in to me than other regular balcony cabins I have had.

I thought it was just okay because of that.

The sofa, 2 TVs and large bathroom were fabulous though!

We avoided the buffet so the aft elevators were not a plus for us.

We booked an AD close to the aft (I think it was 2 or 3 cabins to the very end of the hallway) and it was fabulous having the covered balcony if for no other reason, people cannot drop anything down onto your deck. No, it wasn't dark or dreary at all for us. It was nice to get out of the sun for awhile. We did have very inebriated neighbors that were very vulgar and loud or would have probably been out there even more.

The one and only negative I can say is that the ship rattled back there ...I mean, really rattled when the ship's thrusters were active. It was really loud but only when we were pulling in or out of port....so only 15 minutes x2 a day. The back of the ship does also get more vibration, so if you are sensitive to that....well, maybe a mid-ship cabin would be better for you. The Caribe deck balconies are half covered and are actually larger than the mini-suite balcony....however, the room is smaller.

I say the vibration is a small inconvenience for having a full tub and an extra seating area in the room. Love the AD's ...also love the Caribe deck balconies....cannot go wrong with either one.

I am booked on the Star to Alaska June 24th. We have AB mini suite D326. Can anyone tell me about that cabin? Is the balcony covered, will there be noise? Tell me anything and everything you know.:D
Only the AD's on Emerald deck have covered balconies. Those on Dolphin deck are uncovered and open to all of the decks above. Your AB is a standard mini-suite. Whether there is noise or not will depend on your neighbors. You may hear the thrusters which are used when entering and leaving port.

I am booked on the Star to Alaska June 24th. We have AB mini suite D326. Can anyone tell me about that cabin? Is the balcony covered, will there be noise? Tell me anything and everything you know.:D

We were in an AA mini suite on that deck and there was no overhang to speak of. Whenever we went out on the balcony we had an audience. Everybody but your Aunt Fanny could see us and if she's not careful you can see your Aunt's fanny as well. We loved the room but hated the balcony because we could never just sit there and chat without having to talk to someone. It gave new meaning to voices from above.

Best cabins on the ship IMHO. If I get a mini, this is the category I book. They are private, quiet and get a little bit of sun depending on the ship's direction and angle of the sun. Some people think that because of the larger, covered balcony the cabin tends to be darker but that's never occurred to me nor does it obviously bother me. A few people in the furthest 1-2 cabins towards the aft on the port side have reported sound from the lounge stage below as that's above where the speakers are. Most report no sound and if you're on the starboard side or just a bit further forward, no sound at all.

Hi

As stated before, first time Princess for us. We had been assigned a mini on Dophin (aft) and after reading all the wonderful advice made several phone calls and were now assigned a mini on Emerald (aft). Our cabin appears to be directly above the Vista Lounge Stage.

Question: We usually go to bed fairly late so hoping the music won't bother us.

How late does the band play in the Lounge?

Lorraine:)

My husband and I were i an AD mini-suite the last 2 weeks of January. E730. We LOVED it. The cabin and balcony were great! That's our from now on. ! night heard a little bit of noise from club Fushion, but that was probably because we went to bed earlier than normal. Bt the way, our balcony was twice as big.

We have been in E729 and are now booked for E728.

Both have the wrap around balcony's and they are perfect for families. We have been on the Star 4 times and always book the AD mini's. We were upgraded to a Dolphin Mini and it was just not the same. There is a lot to be said about privacy.

In Alaska, it rains, so having the cover is good insurance and is always welcome.

Happy Cruising:D:D

Thanks to all the comments, I have just now changed to AD E726. Sure hope we don't regret it.

Make sure you have your TA or Princess mark the cabin as "Do not upgrade." Otherwise, you may be upgraded to an AC, AB or AA mini.

We had cabin E731 on our last cruise and have this same cabin booked on our upcoming Crown cruise. We love the AD mini suites.

Make sure you have your TA or Princess mark the cabin as "Do not upgrade." Otherwise, you may be upgraded to an AC, AB or AA mini.

We had cabin E731 on our last cruise and have this same cabin booked on our upcoming Crown cruise. We love the AD mini suites.

OH, thanks for the advice. But I have a question. AC, AB and AA....what would be the upgrade? What's different about them?

OH, thanks for the advice. But I have a question. AC, AB and AA....what would be the upgrade? What's different about them?

The only difference is the location, but Princess considers moving from AD to AC or AC to AB or AB to AA, etc. to be an upgrade. The accept upgrade option is the default choice unless you inform Princess otherwise. I read on these boards recently that Princess now has a new option that allows you to accept only upgrades to a new cabin category i.e. balcony to mini suite or mini suite to suite.

• 2 weeks later...
We have been in E729 and are now booked for E728.

Both have the wrap around balcony's and they are perfect for families. We have been on the Star 4 times and always book the AD mini's. We were upgraded to a Dolphin Mini and it was just not the same. There is a lot to be said about privacy.

In Alaska, it rains, so having the cover is good insurance and is always welcome.

Happy Cruising:D:D

looking at star e728 for south america. the deck plan doesn't show an extended balcony--is it in error?

Archived