Alaska cruise tour question about the train

framer

I'm on an AK cruisetour and part of the trip is by train from Fairbanks to Denali. Do they use the Princess train cars for this part of the trip or just the standard Alaskan Train service.

Thanks for posting if you know.

framer

I'm on an AK cruisetour and part of the trip is by train from Fairbanks to Denali. Do they use the Princess train cars for this part of the trip or just the standard Alaskan Train service.
Princess cars that have glass domed roofs so you can see all around you. Seating is at tables (four to a table, two on each side) on a second level with dining and little gift shop below. Only Princess passengers will be in this car (or cars) and a Princess tour guide will be there. If you plan to book a tour while at one of the lodges, forms will be passed out for you to fill out and hand to the guide. Tickets will be issued when you get to the lodge.

I do not know why they would not run those cars. During cruise ship season up here the trains like like the cruise ships-in and out. Day after day. It is how they work. THe train that takes you will take other passengers someplace else.

That is what they are set up to do.

We did AK last summer; all Princess cruise tours to and from Denali used Princess cars, just tacked onto normal Alaska Rail trains (along with HAL and Celebrity cars.) From Fairbanks, not sure but I'd guess they still use Princess cars and separate boarding procedures. We went direct with AK Rail and no cruise passengers checked in with us either in Anchorage or Denali; they had a separate check-in/boarding area and separate cars.

When we went two years ago, they used Princess cars (tables and bench seating) from Anchorage up and on the way back - Denali to Whittier - they put us on, I believe it was, a HAL car with two nice bucket seats on each side. We were in the upper section and we had a ten hour ride but it went fast. They had a mixture of cars. Very comfortable. You can walk around on all of them and there is a dining car on the first level and a deck off the last car which was fun for taking pictures. And they serve great bloody marys. It is assigned seating but we met the two neatest couples and hung out with them the entire trip.

Princess had someone board the last two hours and they got us all registered so we had our cruise cards when we got off the train and just walked on board the ship.

Archived