LIVING on the Emerald Princess: 100 nights at sea

PescadoAmarillo

Thanks for the nice comments! We'll definitely do it again, although, like I say in the blog, it can't be next year because of the Emerald's scheduled dry dock. We may go for awhile, return home for the holidays, and then return to the ship, which wouldn't be the same. Or just go later. Or remodel our kitchen and stay home for a year. That's the beauty of it- we're not locked into anything.

can't imagine what your bill would be after 100 days:eek: Or did you pay it out after everycruise???? Were you in a inside the whole time??

We were in the same cabin the entire time, an inside. It didn't bother us one bit. We were only in it to sleep, bathe and dress. Our on board account? Well, I'm not going to sat exactly how much it was, but it was ridiculously minimal. We get lots of OBC and we don't spend much on board. We get soda stickers (DH purchased the Ultimate Kids Package sticker from the third cruise on) and I buy 2 or 3 drinks each cruise. It's not like going on a cruise for a week or two. Our spending habits were totally different.

We cruise pretty cheaply, but there are still people cruising less expensively, especially on the fall cruises. We won't book a guarantee because we don't want to have to move between cruises. That would totally change the feeling of it. We loved unpacking on day 1 and staying put.

Our account rolled over from one cruise to the next until 1/17 when, because of a system upgrade, it became due. Then the remainder of the cruises rolled over from one to another.

How much weight did you gain?

LOL. I KNEW someone would ask that! DH, who lost 20 pounds pre-cruise to prepare for a race and so whose clothes were loose at the start, gained 25. I gained 9. We didn't deprive ourselves of anything, but we were fairly active. We've both lost about 25% of it already, as we've cut way back and also aren't drinking alcohol. We ARE hungry, though, and likely will be until our stomachs shrink. It's a price we have to pay.

I am only about a third of the way through but wanted to thank you for sharing your experience.

We hope to be able to spend months on a ship some time in the future but had never considered back-to-backs.

I think I agree with you - much more relaxing than a world cruise without the today-it's-Hong Kong/tomorrow-it's-Vietnam sightseeing 'pressures'.

Thanks so much for posting your blog. I started reading it last night and found it was very hard to stop for the night...going to finish it today. Just love the pictures and your knowledgeable, easy-going style and sense of humor in writing about the islands. We are traveling on the Emerald on March 17, 2012 for the Eastern Caribbean Voyager (our 2nd time for this itinerary) and we have also done the itinerary that you alternated with....so you have really whetted our appetite to be back there!!! Thanks again for sharing. :)

Thank you for sharing this wonderful experience- I am about half way through and trying to slow down reading to it won't end so fast! The reception in the Sky Walkers Lounge - was that held each night for Elite and Suite guests? Can you please expand on that as I wasn't aware this was offered by Princess. Thank you!

I am now into December and am enjoying reading every day of your blog. You are such a happy person and it comes through your writing. It is a pleasure to read and know that you are having a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Jennie

Thanks so much for sharing all of your delightful adventures on those b2b, 100 night cruises ! Your writing was so filled with descriptions and details, and the photos just "hit the spot" ! It truly was fun to once again "revisit" past ports from our cruises through your eyes.

I am enjoying reading your blog! Thanks so much for posting it. I really had missed the "live from" that you have done in the past. You always give really good advise on different things to do in port. Your pics are great. I am up into Dec so far, I haven't noticed the Target float you mention, is there a pic of it somewhere?:D:D

I have really enjoyed your blog. Now I am waiting for the December, Jan., 2013/14

schedule to be posted.

I have a few questions. How did you get the sea pass for the next cruise? Checking in

or at the reception desk the night before arr in FLL.? You said your account was

extended through to your next cruise. That surprised me as I thought all accounts had

to be closed when the cruise ended.

Thanks again for your responses.

Greg

I am enjoying reading your blog! Thanks so much for posting it. I really had missed the "live from" that you have done in the past. You always give really good advise on different things to do in port. Your pics are great. I am up into Dec so far, I haven't noticed the Target float you mention, is there a pic of it somewhere?:D:D

Thanks! Here's the float:http://www.swimways.com/spring-float-papasan-p-65.aspx. It's great...inflates with fewer than 5 breaths. We're planning to take two on our next cruise.

I have a few questions. How did you get the sea pass for the next cruise? Checking in or at the reception desk the night before arr in FLL.? You said your account was extended through to your next cruise. That surprised me as I thought all accounts had to be closed when the cruise ended.

We received an envelope in our mail slots the final evening of each cruise with turnaround day instructions, an in transit pass and a new card. My understanding is that, while having shipboard accounts from B2B cruises roll over used to be standard, now you have to specifically request them to do it.

I just read your contact lenses story! OMG! I just have regular contacts and I can't imagine your panic in losing a contact lens multiple times, especially into the potpourri! That was such a great story - I'm glad that you found it!!

That episode was me, in a nutshell. God, I HATE these things!

How wonderful!

Why don't you write a book? It's a wonderful way to relive your experiences and share them with others. I highly recommend it. It's Booksmart Blurb. Not expensive, the software is free and you have a nice tactile memento of your journey.

No affiliation with blurb.com, I made a book of our trip to Africa and it was the best thing I ever did...outside of taking the trip, that is. Check it out.

Indigo

Indigo, thanks so much for this recommendation. I'd never heard of blurb.com. Now that I've checked it out, I am definitely going to have a book made. It's really not that pricey, and if I go with the large landscape version, I'll probably be able to fit more photos on each page. The quality of the photos is actually much higher than I posted online...I hope it turns out nicely. Thanks again!

Hi Meredith! You inspired us with your winter in Hawaii a few years ago.

Indigo, thanks so much for this recommendation. I'd never heard of blurb.com. Now that I've checked it out, I am definitely going to have a book made. It's really not that pricey, and if I go with the large landscape version, I'll probably be able to fit more photos on each page. The quality of the photos is actually much higher than I posted online...I hope it turns out nicely. Thanks again!

Hi Meredith! You inspired us with your winter in Hawaii a few years ago.

Jeannie..SO glad you have taken many followers advise and getting your blog made into a book..I told you long ago you MUST write a book! How are things going with the re-entry into the real world? Suzan~

I am so enjoying reading your blog! Too bad I didn't find it earlier! I'm up to day 65 and feel like I've been with you on the cruise!

We are sailing on the Emerald in September - NY - Quebec City and can't wait! Your descriptions and pictures will make us feel like we've already been on this ship!

Welcome Home!

Thank you for the wonderful blog, Jeannie!

We have never done a back to back and this inspired me to book the Emerald next year for the Jan. 16 back to back. I will be studying your wonderful adventures on each island to plan for then.

Hope getting back into your normal life hasn't been too stressful!

It was nice to say "Hi" again when you two came to the meet and greet on the Jan. 17th sailing. Hope to see you on future cruises!

Jeannie,

I have just finished reading the final instalment and loved reading every day of those 100 days. I was very impressed with all the different things you found to do on each island especially all the walking which we always enjoy when visiting somewhere new.

The photos were great and some of the beaches you visited were divine. Having been to Barbados, Grenada and Aruba, I could picture a lot of the places you were visiting.

I think it was a great way to spend a cold winter and if those islands were closer to here, then I would certainly think about getting away on a ship for a few months. Unfortunately, down here, we do not have the choices.

Jennie

• 4 months later...

Archived