Best time to arrive at terminal for earliest boarding?

Luckyone2

Hello!

This is my first cruise with Princess, but I want to get on the ship as soon as possible. What is the earliest that I can expect to be on board? What time should I be at the terminal? I do understand about the passengers who have priority boarding. Also, if I can't arrive early, is there a best time to arrive at the terminal where you can walk right on without any waiting?

I love this board!!!

Thanks!

Julie

Good question and I'm awaiting the answers. While I've been on many cruises, this will be our first Princess and i'd like to know the ins and outs as well. We like to board as early as possible, and don't mind waiting a little while, but I don't like getting to Port and having to wait outside if the terminal isn't open for us yet.

Which port?

Most of the time, boarding starts some time between 11:30am and Noon. If you get there between 10:30am and 11:00am, you'll board shortly after those with Priority boarding. Once it starts, it goes pretty quickly so the difference between getting there between 10:00-10:30 means a half hour extra wait and perhaps five minute difference boarding.

Hello!

This is my first cruise with Princess, but I want to get on the ship as soon as possible. What is the earliest that I can expect to be on board? What time should I be at the terminal? I do understand about the passengers who have priority boarding. Also, if I can't arrive early, is there a best time to arrive at the terminal where you can walk right on without any waiting?

I love this board!!!

Thanks!

Julie

If you are talking about Port Everglades, I would suggest getting there by 11:00am. Priority boarding usually takes place between 11:45-noon, and general boarding starts thereafter.

If you arrive after 2pm you will likely be able to walk right on the ship with no waiting.

Mike

This is one area that I feel Princess is really lagging behind other lines. Normally I would say don't rush to be the first on board. Take your time, arrive after 1 and walk on board without crowds and waiting. Why start your vacation with all that stress?

On Princess though, it seems like they want you to be pressured to be the first on board so you can run up to the Sanctuary to reserve for the week, call the dining line to make dining reservations at the specialty restaurants, etc.

I think it would alleviate at least some of the early rush if they allowed you to do these things on line in advance. Of course some people just need to be first..:rolleyes:

This is one area that I feel Princess is really lagging behind other lines. Normally I would say don't rush to be the first on board. Take your time, arrive after 1 and walk on board without crowds and waiting. Why start your vacation with all that stress?

On Princess though, it seems like they want you to be pressured to be the first on board so you can run up to the Sanctuary to reserve for the week, call the dining line to make dining reservations at the specialty restaurants, etc.

I think it would alleviate at least some of the early rush if they allowed you to do these things on line in advance. Of course some people just need to be first..:rolleyes:

I see your point, but I do prefer that when I board a Princess ship, my cabin is ready. I like to board early to enjoy lunch in the MDR - sure beats the crowds at the buffet!

I have boarded several times now at 11:30 and without any lines to speak of at all. More then once I have been on the ship and up in my cabin by 11:45. But if you are just 15 to 20 minutes later, like around noon, then you will encounter much longer lines. The longest lines I have seen were from 12:30 to 1:30. I like to board early because after all you are paying for the first day, so why not take advantage of early boarding. Also other cruise lines do not have the cabin ready right away, but Princess always does and that is a bonus.

A lot depends on where you are boarding; each port has a different procedure. It starts with the fact that the people you see pierside are not Princess people; they are hired as subcontractors. I have worked at SFO pier for many years and have seen different boarding experiences on different ships.

Please take the following into consideration. 1. All passengers from the previous cruise must be off the ship before you can board. 2. All those folks disembarking can make for lots of congestion in the luggage area and in the passenger pickup/dropoff locations. 3. We cannot check you in until the ship gives us clearance.(Sometimes) priority boarders will be put in an isolated area but other early arrivals may be asked to wait outside or at the best, in the few chairs available in the lobby. I have seen folks arrive as early as 8AM. 4. Once the ship gives us the all clear, we are able to hand out cabin cards and send you off. 5. Now you must go through screening, much like the airport and depending on how many folks are with you thinking about early boarding AND depending on how well the subcontracted screening agents have the stations staffed it can mean a short or long wait. I have seen 30 minute wait for screening and I have seen people walk right through.

On the back end, I seldom see any lines or congestion after 1:30/2 for a 4PM sailing.

As in many things, how this affects you depends on your attitude. If you are easily stressed then early will likely add to it: If what appears to be mass confusion doesn't phase you then by all means come early, relax and enjoy the show:p

We got to Port Everglades on Feb 11th for Grand cruise at about 12:45. There was hardly any line to check in and just a short back up on the gangway as we had to put our cards into the machine. BUT, I think we lucked out because we heard there were 800 B2B passengers on this voyage so that was 800 less people trying to check in with us.

Archived