Paying Chile reciprocity fee with $50 bills

Sandy R

I've been to 2 banks and I'm finding it really hard to get new bills. Finally settled for some almost new $10's, some $20's and 3 $50's... no creases, no markings no tears. Will they accept new $50 bills? Obviously, if the credit card machine is working, we'll use that.

Coming off the Star Princess in Valpariso Chile on Feb 4 and leaving the airport on Feb 6 we did not have to pay reciprocity fee. We had paid a fee to Brazil where we started the cruise. Maybe you will not have to pay the fee at all. I have heard that they are picky about new looking bills but to be honest I have not had any trouble == Glad to take my money. One of our party had trouble getting money from ATM but it is my belief that she did not notify the bank of specific countries she was visiting and her card (on a brokerage account rather than a bank account if that matters) was cancelled on the trip. Do remember to notify the bank! We used the credit card for meals and ended up paying the guide with pesos and giving him a well deserved tip of the extra that we were not bothering to exchange.

The Santiago is a South American airport. Opens late (2-3 hours before flight) and uses the mosh pit type of line formation. Stand in line even if the line isn't open yet. No lack of aggression of in line as time goes on.

We will be arriving Santiago by plane. We are required to pay the reciprocity fee. I'm hearing $50 bills might not be accepted. Would like to hear from someone who has 1st hand experience.

You should be able to get NEW $20's. $100's are not accepted due to all the counterfeit $100's floating around South America. I specifically don't know about $50's because I haven't paid the reciprocity fee for almost 10 years, but I KNOW new $20's are available. I had my admin get some for one of my employees in December for the reciprocity fee.

To be on the safe side, I would get new $20's. Have the teller go to the vault and pull out a NEW packet and give them to you. OR get the manager to give you NEW one's. Put them in an envelope so they don't get "crunched" and use them for entry into Chile.

If machines are working (connected to the net), then we definitely will pay with a credit card. Problem is, machines aren't always working, which means you can't use a credit card to pay the fee. Come prepared or you'll have to stand in line and get money from the airport ATM, which is usually busy... plus, the money coming out of the ATM isn't always free from marks, creases or tears. Bringing money with you gives you a back-up just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

We are going, next year, we hope.

What is all this about, paying $50. If we cruise in, and cruise out, and no airplanes, do we have to worry about any of this?

Also, are there enough things to see without the hop on and hop off bus. That doesn't sound like fun to me. We may also go further into South America. Anything to know about to save us time and to have more fun? Onboard tours, the only way to go?

Counterfeit money, sounds like a big problem. Didn't know that.

• 2 weeks later...

We flew to Santiago on 13 Jan 12. They will accept any denomination of bill, but they must be PERFECT, PERFECT, PEERFECT...no blemish, tiny tear, mark (like the ones used to validate bills even tho they're supposed to disappear), wrinkle, etc. We had "new" bills and the woman found something wrong with every one! I became so frustrated, I gave her the credit card and machine worked fine.

They will accept any denomination of bill

You will find very few, if any, places in South America that will accept US 100's. There are MANY, MANY, MANY counterfeit 100's floating around South America (most likely because of the HUGE amounts of US cash that go South through the drug cartels).

As I have posted before, go to the bank, have them go to the vault and get NEW bills-all large banks get new bills almost every currency delivery.

When we arrived in Santiago, they cashier would only take $10's or $20's, crisp, clean, and no markings. They rejected more than they accepted. There is a separate cashier for CC payments at the same spot. We just paid with US credit card therefore there were no issues.

Hope this helps.

Pay with a credit card. Much easier. You have to pay your fee and then you have to go through immigration, then get your luggage and for us the big lineup, line up with all your luggage so that it can go through x-ray machines before they will let you leave the airport. This is to ensure than nobody brings any food into Chile that might cause damage to their agriculture. This lineup took the longest to get through because so many people butted into the line ahead. We were warned by our tour guide to make sure we watched our luggage very carefully here to ensure nobody took it.

Pay with a credit card. Much easier. You have to pay your fee and then you have to go through immigration, then get your luggage and for us the big lineup, line up with all your luggage so that it can go through x-ray machines before they will let you leave the airport. This is to ensure than nobody brings any food into Chile that might cause damage to their agriculture. This lineup took the longest to get through because so many people butted into the line ahead. We were warned by our tour guide to make sure we watched our luggage very carefully here to ensure nobody took it.

Two things: DO NOT count on the credit card machines working. While they are online more than they were a few years ago, they are offline about 25% of the time. And boy, does that cause major havoc. People with no cash trying to get enough out of the ATM's or running around to the currency booths trying to take a cash advance from their credit cards (EXPENSIVE). Sheer and total havoc. PLEASE be prepared with NEW USD. Put it in an envelope set aside before you leave home. Then it has no chance to get damaged before it is needed. If the credit card machines are working, fine. If not, you are prepared and not running around wildly looking for cash.

I fly into Chile about 4 times per year for business and I have never heard the luggage x ray story about looking for food. Must be a tour guide story. That is what all those little beagles and other dogs are for-sniffing out food. I have always been told they are looking for drugs and terrorist stuff when they X-ray luggage upon leaving Customs.

When you leave the ship in Valparaiso, after the bus ride to the terminal but BEFORE you are allowed access to your checked luggage, everyone stands in line and they run the dogs by the line looking for food in your carryons. They have already "sniffed out" all the checked luggage.

No dogs when we went through in February. The luggage x-ray was the slowest part of the whole process. We asked the workers what they were x-raying for and they said food. Who knows, it was just annoying having to have the suitcases, etc x-rayed after a long flight.

• 2 months later...

Let me make sure I have this right. We fly into Santiago.

- First we pay the reciprocity fee? Is it obvious where that line is? What is the amount?

- Then we go through immigration

- Then we pick up our luggage

Because we have paid this fee we don't have to pay taxes on our hotel stay? Is there anything else it will save us money on? Is this some type of Visa?

Thanks for your patience!

Now that we've been through it, happy to be able to answer your questions. The fee for us March 2012 was $140 per person. Check before you travel to make sure what the fee is currently. You pay reciprocity fee first. That window and line comes first, to your right as you get off the escalator. Adjacent to reciprocity line is the immigration line. You can't go through immigration until the reciprocity fee is paid. The reciprocity fee receipt will be put in your Passport. Receipt isn't tacked to your Passport, so be careful you don't lose it. You show that receipt when checking out of your hotel, so you don't have to pay the hotel tax. Not all hotels deduct hotel taxes... make sure you book a hotel that does! Then you will get your luggage. All together, the whole procedure takes about an hour. Reciprocity fee is Chile's answer to the Visa that Chilean's are required to pay, when coming to the U.S. Reciprocity fee is good for the life of your Passport. BTW, we brought $$ in case the reciprocity fee credit card machine was not working. We were told it does happen on occasion. As it turned out, we were able to pay by credit card. Have a great trip.

Just for info. We had to go Left immediately for the reciprocity line. Perhaps there are different ways into the Immigration area. There is a sign with instructions just as you enter so watch for it. Most people are rushing straight ahead to the immigration lines.

Just for info. We had to go Left immediately for the reciprocity line. Perhaps there are different ways into the Immigration area. There is a sign with instructions just as you enter so watch for it. Most people are rushing straight ahead to the immigration lines.

I concur with you. We were just there at the end of March 2012 and we came off the escalator and turned to our left to pay the reciprocity fee. We had no issues using a credit card.

Everywhere in South America you need to be sure to have brand new undamaged bills.

One thing to make sure of if you are traveling with someone that each of you complete an immigration form. We were told on the airline that we needed only one per family and that was definitely wrong. Fortunately the immigration officer had an extra one and i quickly filled it in so we didn't have to start over.

Depending on how large an airplane you arrive in, the lines can be very long throughout the entire process of getting out of the airport.

I have been reading these threads, so even though we do not go to Chile until Feb.,2013, but I went to the bank Friday to get the new crisp money early. They did not have any that were perfect but said around Thansgiving/Christmas holiday time, they get in the new bills, so I am going back then. Just thought you all might want to know that.

I have been reading these threads, so even though we do not go to Chile until Feb.,2013, but I went to the bank Friday to get the new crisp money early. They did not have any that were perfect but said around Thansgiving/Christmas holiday time, they get in the new bills, so I am going back then. Just thought you all might want to know that.

Good idea. If they don't have them by then, talk to the bank manager. I have gotten good ones all times of the year.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

The Santiago airport seems to have multiple places to play the reciprocity fee but they only had one open when we were there in February. I think that is why people have reported different directions. We were directed by an airport employee to get in the customs line (I think it said "Policia") and after about 5 minutes we figured it was the wrong line and moved to the reciprocity line which happened to be to the left. Don't expect people to know English or to really help you until you get to customs. The credit card machine was working when we were there but we already had our "pristine" $20 bills (thanks to reading the advice from GreatAm on these boards before leaving), so we used those. The fee is good for the life of your passport. By the time we got to security, we buzzed through but beware of "helpers" looking for handouts. A man grabbed our baggage without us asking and walked us to the xray machines where they were confiscating food from several folks. It was an ordeal but it helps if you are prepared - and if you speak Spanish!

• 4 weeks later...

If you have EEC passports, you won't have to pay a reciprocity fee on arrival in Santiago. We have dual citizenship and always check to see what the pros and cons of each passport is when travelling to different countries.

Archived