NY Metro Area LGBT Cruisers

paulypride

I guess I should introduce myself following the topic of the thread ;)

Partner and I live in Brooklyn, work in Manhattan. We started cruising in 2007 going on a RSVP cruise and have been hooked since then. We have also done a 4-night sailing on QM2 out on New York with Pied Piper. It was nice to get off the ship and be home in 10 minutes!

and we try to sail out if NYC...yes 10 minutes away to the westside piers - the car picks us up w/ luggage and we can be onboard in less than an hour.....several years ago we were upset that the QM2 would sail out of Brooklyn & it took another 15 minutes to get there.....

a 10 day cruise out of nyc is great & you usually get a full 7 days of warm weather in between the 1 1/2 days down t o the carib! I 've even worked on sailing day & leave from the office....

When we disembark a taxi is right there on the pier & we are in our home w/luggage in teh same time....

Sure beats JFK & Ft Laud airports in the winter!

I guess I should introduce myself following the topic of the thread ;)

Partner and I live in Brooklyn, work in Manhattan. We started cruising in 2007 going on a RSVP cruise and have been hooked since then. We have also done a 4-night sailing on QM2 out on New York with Pied Piper. It was nice to get off the ship and be home in 10 minutes!

Can't quite help with hotels since we never stay in hotels in our city. :D

Gym Bar in Chelsea would most likely work. Boxers is a sports bar that actually show sports! In the West Village the Hangar and Ty's would be two options too.

WOW, I went to Ty's and the Hangar the first time I was in NYC in the early 80s...talk about staying power.

Thanks for the advice!

WOW, I went to Ty's and the Hangar the first time I was in NYC in the early 80s...talk about staying power.

Thanks for the advice!

Some places never die. :D Was the Hangar around in the early 80's? I moved to NY in 1986 and I remember Ty's. I thought the Hangar came later, like the early 90's.

I went on my first gay cruise alone after a 20 year relationship, and I had a blast met some great friends on the cruise. I will say that Atlantis was one big party and was exhausted when I came back. When you put 1800 gay men on a ship you know what can happen. Since, I have done both straight and gay cruises and enjoy them for different reasons. IF you have never done a gay cruise I would give it a shot. I will say if you want a quiet getaway then Atlantis may not be your first choice.

Some places never die. :D Was the Hangar around in the early 80's? I moved to NY in 1986 and I remember Ty's. I thought the Hangar came later, like the early 90's.

Hmm, maybe you are right.....gettin old here. LOL

We've done a mix of regular cruises and 10+ Atlantis charters. We like both for different reasons. I would say that the Jan/Feb Caribbean charters are the most "party" oriented. But even for a middle-aged, monogamous couple who've been together over 11 years, we still enjoy it. And the ships are so big, you can easily pop into or out of the party as you want to. Of course, their trips that are further away, longer and more expensive (like Asia, Australia, Mediterranean), tend to attract a slightly older, more upscale crowd - so they're a bit less of a party than the Caribbean. It IS a very freeing experience, though. You might consider it, pauly.

As an aside, we do have both the Mediterranean and Austrlia Atlantis charters booked for this summer and 2013 Mardi Gras.

Hi - Thank you for starting the thread.

Manhattan here (East Side, thus the name). Did a QE2 crossing decades ago coming home from studying in Europe - there used to be youth fares that were cheaper than airfare (OK, I'm dating myself as almost 50 here). Recently have done a 5-day QM2 Halifax/Boston cruise (loved it) and a 2-week Celebrity cruise (liked it much less). This August going on an 11-day European cruise along the Atlantic coast on Azamara.

Have not done a gay cruise (at least not on water), so cannot comment. However, there was a Pied Piper group on the QM2, and met some very nice people from the group.

Great to see other people in the Tri-State area here - hopefully, we'll get to sail together one day!

Happy cruises to all.

I guess I'll put the "tri-" in tri-state. Live in New Haven, usually travel alone because I have more time than my SO. I've been loyal to Holland America and when a transatlantic cruise I took a few years ago docked in Manhattan, I grabbed a cab to GCT and took Metro North home.

Looking forward to knocking a few more countries off my bucket list this summer.

An ex-New Yorker chiming in - I was in the city for 15 years before going overseas in '99. My partner and I now live in Abu Dhabi, but we're coming back to Manhattan this summer on the QM2.

We fell into cruising this past fall more or less by accident - we've always taken a winter break in Egypt (the partner's Egyptian), but decided this year things were too unsettled there to make any plans. I looked around for something fun closer to home, and discovered the Brilliance of the Seas sailing out of Dubai (just up the road). Short story long, we fell in love with being on a ship and decided that a TA was a logical next step...

I hope I'll still recognize one or two things about the city - I know that most of my old hangouts (Five Oaks, 88s, et al) have bit the dust. Can anyone tell me whether Chez Josephine on 42nd is still worth going to? I want to show off some of "my city" to my Cairo-born, not-easily-impressed spouse...

Alex, hope you enjoy your visit. Partner and I really enjoy food, so if you need any suggestions for restaurants that will impress your partner and show off your former city, let me know if I can help with suggestions. There have been a LOT of good openings since you left in '99!

I live in Westchester County. My wife and I cruise every August with our family and friends. Last August we did the Miracle out of NYC it was a fun cruise. This year we are crusing on the Conquest out of New Orleans, I am excited about this one because I was able to get 4 of my other lesbian friends to go, so now it wont be just me and my wife.

I live in Westchester County. My wife and I cruise every August with our family and friends. Last August we did the Miracle out of NYC it was a fun cruise. This year we are crusing on the Conquest out of New Orleans, I am excited about this one because I was able to get 4 of my other lesbian friends to go, so now it wont be just me and my wife.

Have a great time. My wife and I can't seem to convince many of our friends to try cruising either. I think it is a GREAT way to vacation. So relaxing. We cruise with my sister & her family usually, and some of my BIL's family too. :)

So when are we arranging a happy hour meet-up? :)

Somebody's got to pick a date, time, and place. I've learned from planning one of these things on another board that no date is good for everybody, so it's best for somebody to make a decision and go with it. For me, coming in from CT, Fridays or Saturdays are best. For others it would probably be better during the week.

I'm in as well - can spread the word to a couple of friends.

How about Friday, April 20 from 5 PM to 8 PM? Perhaps somewhere in Hells Kitchen to make it convenient for Penn Station and Port Authority, and not too far from Grand Central?

I'm in as well - can spread the word to a couple of friends.

How about Friday, April 20 from 5 PM to 8 PM? Perhaps somewhere in Hells Kitchen to make it convenient for Penn Station and Port Authority, and not too far from Grand Central?

That sounds doable. Finding a bar/lounge that is not packed on a Friday after work and where one could actually carry a conversation may be a challenge! :)

I have a friend who is F&B Director of a hotel near Grand Central - their bar (which is actually pretty cool and moderately priced) has a quieter room in the back we could possibly use - I can ask her.

Cool. It doesn't have to be a gay bar LOL