Book a year in advance?

definitely as well as the prices may be better, and you get the cabin you want. The cruise I'm going on in May has since risen 220% in price from what I paid for it last July! (Just wish I had have gone for a better cabin at the better prices!)

I'm glad you posted this question, as I too am looking at a Jan 2013 cruise. If I can piggyback, I'm also wondering what the payment schedule is like now (since it's been a while since I cruised). What is required as a downpayment? When is final payment due? I've inferred that the price drop policy has changed since I cruised- OBC before final payment, nothing after (but can upgrade to a discounted higher-grade cabin)

I would say that it depends on the ship. If you are really set on a particular cabin then go for it. But this year there were a lot of sales and price drops on January sailings. That is something to consider if you can be a bit less picky about the cabin.

Cosidering a specific cruise for Jan. 2013. Is it too early to book? Pretty particular about cabin choice. Is cabin choice a good enough reason for booking so far ahead?

As long as it's available to book, it's never too early! I typically book my cruises a year in advance, sometimes 1 1/2 years! More often than not for my choices, the prices never drops below what I originally paid for. Plus, my husband has motion sickness, so I need to find a mid-ship cabin, preferably by the elevators/stairs. Booking early allows me optimal cabin choice! Then I can spend the remaing time looking for best prices in airfare, hotel, and excursions!

It's never too soon to book. You secure today's price. All of the cruises we have taken so far have only gone up in price (our last cruise more than doubled)

If the price goes down, you can call and get the price adjustment, which is taken off the balance due (not issued as OBC) You can cancel or change the cruise anytime up until final payment date, which is usually 60 days before the cruise (but can be up to 90 days for longer cruises or holiday sailings). After final payment, if the price goes down, you get no refund, however you can upgrade at the new rate.

Outside of the deposit (which is usually $250, but can vary on longer cruises or if you book a suite), you don't pay anything until final payment.

Downpayment is based on the length of cruise. Take from RC webpage: 100pp 1-5 nights, 250pp 6-9 nights, 450pp 10 night or longer. Suites are double. Final payment I belive is due 60, 75 maybe 90 days depending on if you are cruising on a holiday. Before final payment you can get your money refunded to you on your card you paid with or use it as OBC, but nothing except for upgrades after final payment.

Deposit requirements vary based on length of cruise and the type of stateroom reserved. Generally, deposit guidelines are $200 per stateroom for 1 to 5 night cruises, $500 per stateroom for 6 to 9 night cruises and $900 per stateroom for 10 night or longer cruises. Suite categories do require a double deposit since there are a limited number of suites. Please contact us at 1-800-465-3595 for more information.

Deposit requirements vary based on length of cruise and the type of stateroom reserved. Generally, deposit guidelines are $200 per stateroom for 1 to 5 night cruises, $500 per stateroom for 6 to 9 night cruises and $900 per stateroom for 10 night or longer cruises. Suite categories do require a double deposit since there are a limited number of suites. Please contact us at 1-800-465-3595 for more information.

We booked our April 2013 cruise a month or more ago, we’ve been watching the prices and looking at cabins and when some of the ones we wanted were getting booked we figured we’d better jump on it.

I’d also like to say if you have more than 2 people (we have 3 this time) the cabins are even harder to come by, we didn’t want a “bunk” bed but wanted the pull out couch, again that lowers the number of cabins available.

We have waited in the past and have received very good deals by booking a couple of months out (with only 2 people sailing so lots of cabin choices). But with wanting a specific cabin, booking early is the way to go.

Our final payment date for the April 7, 2013 cruise is January 8, 2013

Is cabin choice a good enough reason for booking so far ahead?

it is for us because wife's wheelchair pretty much requires an accessible cabin and they go fast. Especially for unique itineraries like a repositioning. But for weekly same-old-route itineraries we can take a chance and look for bargains after final payment when blocks of cabins get released.

But for our May TA the $990 balcony we booked 380 days in advance was last at $2,180 when they were available at all. So it really can save a lot, especially on the one of a kind cruises.

Cosidering a specific cruise for Jan. 2013. Is it too early to book? Pretty particular about cabin choice. Is cabin choice a good enough reason for booking so far ahead?

YUP!

BTW there is no such thing as booking too early..or booking too often....

PLUS you then have more time to pay for it, and to save up for your incidental expenses like DODs, excursions, "STUFF"..etc!

We always try to book at least a year in advance. It allows to pick the cabin we want and it guarantees the lowest price.

Down payment (on most cabins) for a 7 night cruise is $250/pp. Final payment date is (I think) 70 days prior to departure. Your deposit is 100% refundable up until final payment date.

We always try to book at least a year in advance. It allows to pick the cabin we want and it guarantees the lowest price.

Down payment (on most cabins) for a 7 night cruise is $250/pp. Final payment date is (I think) 70 days prior to departure. Your deposit is 100% refundable up until final payment date.

Really?

I booked an August 30, 2012 cruise on December 31st, during their Holiday WOW sail. The price was good and I got some OBC as well. I am a bit OCD and I check the website every day. The price has dropped twice since I booked and I was given the lower price each time. Also a C&A coupon came up for that sailing for $115. I had that applied after I had booked the cruise. We have a third person in our cabin and that price has dropped from $699 to $479 today. In all, I have gotten $655 taken off the total price of the cruise. These sales only last about 2 or3 days and then the price jumps back up again. I love finding a bargin and having it applied to my total cost. Two years ago, they put on a "Police, EMT, Fireman" sale and I got an upgrade from an interior room to a balcony for about $50 per person. It was, I believe, an eight category upgrade. I love a bargain. Just check that site every day with a phoney booking and watch for the sales.

One more thing. If you see a price drop after final payment, you can usually call and the difference in OBC or an upgrade if the prices are about the same or you can pay the difference for an upgrade after final payment. Just keep an eye on the bottom line for your cruise. There are a lot of bargains available after a reservation is made.

One more thing. If you see a price drop after final payment, you can usually call and the difference in OBC or an upgrade if the prices are about the same or you can pay the difference for an upgrade after final payment. Just keep an eye on the bottom line for your cruise. There are a lot of bargains available after a reservation is made.

This is the rule change after May 17, 2010. After final payment, no more refund or OBC. Just upgrades.

No more OBC for price drops after final payment. The policy was put into affect for reservations made after May 17, 2010.

We booked our April 2013 cruise a month or more ago, we’ve been watching the prices and looking at cabins and when some of the ones we wanted were getting booked we figured we’d better jump on it.

I’d also like to say if you have more than 2 people (we have 3 this time) the cabins are even harder to come by, we didn’t want a “bunk” bed but wanted the pull out couch, again that lowers the number of cabins available.

We have waited in the past and have received very good deals by booking a couple of months out (with only 2 people sailing so lots of cabin choices). But with wanting a specific cabin, booking early is the way to go.

Our final payment date for the April 7, 2013 cruise is January 8, 2013

We'll be with you on this cruise! We booked in August 2011. We also have 3 people and like you mentioned....not a lot to chhose from with the sofa bed. Glad we booked when we did but it just makes the wait so much longer.

Really?

Always may be a bit too absolute, but from personal experience booking 6-7 cruises a year for the past three years as soon as the booking come out (12-15 months in advance), we've never once had a price drop from what we originally booked that we couldn't take advantage of:cool:. The only cruise where there was ever a "lower" price that we couldn't get was a tuesday sale that started two days after our first ever RCI booking. Ultimately, that cruise dropped in price again closer to cruise date, and we got that price drop.

Always may be a bit too absolute, but from personal experience booking 6-7 cruises a year for the past three years as soon as the booking come out (12-15 months in advance), we've never once had a price drop from what we originally booked that we couldn't take advantage of:cool:. The only cruise where there was ever a "lower" price that we couldn't get was a tuesday sale that started two days after our first ever RCI booking. Ultimately, that cruise dropped in price again closer to cruise date, and we got that price drop.

Two years ago we had two cabins on Independence and two days after final the price dropped $350.00 pp. That was a $1400.00 savings that I was able to get because it was before the new policy was put in place. But it left an impression on me that is hard to get over so I am just a bit leery of early bookings.

We'll be with you on this cruise! We booked in August 2011. We also have 3 people and like you mentioned....not a lot to chhose from with the sofa bed. Glad we booked when we did but it just makes the wait so much longer.

That is awesome! Come over and join our roll call - we have a nice group of people - and could always use more!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1520103

Only 409 more days :p

Archived