Silversea Explorer

Sunday golf

We love the ship and the rest of the Silver Explorer experience. It was wonderful in 2009, and just as much fun last year. Our only regret is that we're not booked again until 2013...

To visit Antarctica and Svalbard in such a luxurious accomodations is remarkable. Though they are not perfect (no cruise ship ever is), they do an amazing job and I've heard many more favorable comparisons vs. other expediton ships, than unfavorable comparisons.

It's hard to answer your question accurately without knowing your expectations and what you're using for a comparison. The decor is not the Four Seasons, but maybe more like a nice Marriott or Hyatt. The food is quite good, but maybe a notch below the offerings on the Wind or Cloud. Although you won't suffer, if you go on board expecting the lap of luxury with champagne and caviar served by staff in tuxedos, you'll be disappointed. If you want night-time entertainment and shows - look elsewhere.

Tell us what cruise ships you've sailed on, and maybe we can give you a better comparison, so that you know what to expect.

The first thing to remember is that this is an expedition ship and the most important consideration has to be the itinerary. My wife and I were lucky enough to be on the 13th January adventure from Ushuaia to the Falklands, South Georgia and the Antarctic peninsula.

It was absolutely fantastic and by far the best trip we have ever been on,memories we will never forget.

The expedition staff are outstanding but you must remember that any tender ports will be reached by zodiacs so this is no conventional cruise.

The decor is not as luxurious as the rest of the Silversea ships and we had a couple of meals which were a bit below par but we did not not go on this trip for the food or the decor. We went for the total experience and particularly the wildlife.

It probably depends what you are looking for as to whether this ship will appeal to you

Thank you most helpful. We have sailed before on both the Cloud and Wind. Enjoy the small Seabourn Ships as well as Seadream. We look for interesting places,good company and a bit of spoiling too. Entertainment never really comes into it. From what you both say it is going to be right up our street and think we will definately book it.

Our first expedition cruise (and first Silversea cruise) was to the Arctic on the Silver Explorer (then named the PA II) in late June of 2010. Since then we have only taken expedition cruises and will be back aboard her in May of 2013.

As noted, an expedition is a very different experience - one we came to love very quickly.

Highly recommended.

Sunday golf,just a further couple of thoughts which may or may not be of help.

We have cruised in the past on the Silver Whisper, Regent Mariner, Regent Voyager and Seabourn Quest as well as some of the larger main line ships. The Quest was probably the most luxurious with the best staff, closely followed by the Silver Whisper.The Regent ships did not appeal to us as much, Mariner was OK but Voyager had too much vvvvibration and was poor on shore excursions.

I think the food on the Quest was best, but to be honest they are all pretty good. On the Silver Explorer we were told by the chef that around 30% of meals were special orders which we thought was quite high.

We were incredibly lucky on the Silver Explorer because the staff and particularly the Expedition team were outstanding. However the itinerary and the superb weather(for the Antarctic that is ) made this adventure miles better than anything we have ever experienced in the past I think my wife and I will find it very difficult to take a regular cruise again, although I sure we will try.

If you need any specific info I will do my best to help

Thank you most helpful. We have sailed before on both the Cloud and Wind. Enjoy the small Seabourn Ships as well as Seadream. We look for interesting places,good company and a bit of spoiling too. Entertainment never really comes into it. From what you both say it is going to be right up our street and think we will definately book it.

Just back from 10 Antarctica - I can only say that I would be very very surprised if you find this expedition ship disappointing.

Hi

Would someone be able to advise me if there is much difference between these 2 cabins? I know that adventurer has 2 portholes instead of the window but other than that, is there a big difference?

Thankx in advance.

Cheers

Jennifer

Would someone be able to advise me if there is much difference between these 2 cabins? I know that adventurer has 2 portholes instead of the window but other than that, is there a big difference? Thankx in advance. Cheers Jennifer

Jennifer, I spent 17 nights in an Adventurer suite on the Jan. 13th cruise in suite 304. Our friends were in 307 and they said our suite was larger than theirs. Our portholes had to be closed for 3 days and nights and that made it quite dark in the rooms. I got a little claustrophobic and had to get to light early in the morning. Personally, I won't book an Adventurer suite again and will opt for the windows.

Personally, I won't book an Adventurer suite again and will opt for the windows.

Hi Beth

Thankx for this info. Very helpful.

How cold did it get there? Living in Sydney, I've got no idea about extreme cold :) so I'm wondering about all the clothing. Do u really have to wear all those layers?

I note that u can buy a clothes package and have it delivered to the ship. $499 seems a very good deal to me (all adventure wear in Oz is soooo expensive). Is it a good deal or not?

Cheers

Jennifer

Do u really have to wear all those layers?

Ok so I've been doing a bit of research since I posted this stupid comment:o

of course it's cold and u DO have to wear heaps of clothing. Forget I even asked this question.:eek:

With respect to ski masks, can u wear them over glasses?

Cheers

Jennifer

We returned from Antarctica on Feb. 9. Regarding the weather, it was really not that cold. (I am from south Florida. Anytime it drops below 60 F/15 C, we think it's the coming of the next ice age.) Average temperatures were at freezing +/- 2 or 3 degrees. The things I noticed most about the weather was that it was extremely changeable and the wind. It could be sunny and pleasant and within five minutes the wind would pick up to 30-40 KPH with blowing snow.

Regarding clothing, I did a lot of research before we left and the trip confirmed my findings.

First, don't wear cotton. It does not wick and once it gets wet, you will get cold. Wear poly or poly/wool blends, especially for your base layer.

During hikes up glaciers and when it is sunny you will sweat. Zodiac tours can be wet and windy.

We wore long, polyester sports underwear, such as worn by skiers or hunters. Our mid-layer was fleece. For bottoms we wore fleece sweat pants and our tops were fleece jerseys. Wick, wick, wick. Waterproof pants are essential. The parka provided by Silversea was excellent.

We did not bring our own boots. We used boots from the supply on board the ship and they were fine. We wore very heavy duty socks with sock liners. I bought foot warmers and never used them.

Simple ski caps that came down over our ears were sufficient. The Silversea parka has a high collar that can zip up over your chin. When it gets really bad, you can pull up the hood on your parka. We bought ski masks and never wore them.

We bought glove liners and waterproof gloves. I never wore the waterproof gloves. However, there was one occasion when I wish I had worn them. We were on a zodiac tour and the wind came up and it started to snow. There was a lot of spray and my glove liners got wet. At that point they were worthless. Or course, that was also the one time I left the waterproof gloves in the suite.

One other recommendation is a collapsible hiking stick.

Enjoy your trip. It will be the trip of a lifetime.

With respect to ski masks, can u wear them over glasses? Cheers Jennifer

Hey Jennifer,

I wore ski goggles to keep the wind from drying my contact, so I can't answer your question regarding wearing them with glasses. Why not go to a gear shop and try them out first and see?

Definitely listen to DPWnRBW regarding the waterproof layer. It is a must for this trip. As far as the cost of the Silversea Clothing Package, I think I bought most of my clothes for under their cost. Buying their package would help you with luggage weight issues going over and some passengers left their clothing on the ship for crew and future passengers whose luggage "gets misplaced." I looked online before shopping and went to a REI and purchased most of my clothes. Good luck in your shopping.

Purchase compression bags and everything will fit nicely. Even brought back the parka by using one of the bags.....ski goggles work with glasses, tried it once when couldn't wear my contacts. Goggles are a must, if you wear contacts....eyes really water in the wind. Also the hiking poles were a must. You can buy a pair and split them between you. We purchased the basic clothing package and didn't regret it....no time to wander around and try to piece things together. Their fleece was super...really soaked up the moisture.

Trip is fantastic. Think the ship could use some work, just my opinion. Food okay. The "luxury" was nature.

Purchase compression bags and everything will fit nicely. . . Also the hiking poles were a must. You can buy a pair and split them between you. . . Think the ship could use some work, just my opinion. .

I agree with Skeezics. The compression bags were great. All that fleece, as well as the parka, has plenty of loft. The compression bags reduce their size to a minimum. We had our cabin attendant bring in his vacuum while we were packing to suck the air out of the bags.

I found a few areas on the ship that could use some refurbishing. There is a missing window in the observation lounge that is covered by wood or some other solid substance. Lots of wear and tear in other parts of the ship.

We went on Silver Explorer twice and had wonderful time, but most important are the destinations. there some other options for these destination but none has the stile and luxury compared to Silver Explore. For the Arctic and Antarctic, my first concern was safety, second, was the itinerary and the third was comfort. We will probably join the ship again in 2014.

• 1 month later...

Silver Explorer is a gem. The expedition staff were warm and competent. The trip we took to Antarctica was the all time best in my life. feb19 to 29th. I can't wait for next one, the Artic north pole. You will love it. I can't think of a single fellow traveler who didn't rave.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi JP, long ago I was out of CC.

In 2013 we are going to Iceland in a road trip of 3 weeks.

I changed job so galapagos may be cancelled and exchanged by Alaska, I will know within 3 weeks. If so, I will do it with Lindblad. Keep you posted.

• 7 months later...

Hi Everyone,

This our 4th cruise with SS on the Explorer in January 2013. One thing I don't understand are the comments re the food on board? I thought all SS cruises were standard, from previous comments it looks like the food on the Explorer is not as good?

Thanks to the poster above who was in suite 304, we are in room 304 hope we don't regret booking that suite, but hey ho its only 10 days, really looking forward to the experience. :)

fudge,

The food is a bit different quality as you are in an area when some foods aren't easily gotten. In January on our 18 night Antarctic cruise, some meats were different cuts and at times uneatable. To me, it was amazing that food was able to be kept over 18 days.... even lettuce. The chef told us that they had different temperatures in their refrigerators to keep the food fresh. It wasn't a deal breaker for me. I went for the animals and the scenery.

My tip is to purchase the video. It is worth the steep cost.

We were on a 2 week cruise from Iceland to Svalbard this past summer. We had some issues with the food. There were a couple of dishes that were down right unedible, and I eat pretty much what is put in front of me. Meats were pretty consistently undercooked. You should not have pink in the middle of your chicken. I am pretty sure the health dept would not approve of this in tulsa.

Also they ran out of bacon and diet coke. Neither is a really perishable item, so this was just poor planning.

But that said, we are booked for 2 more cruises, and will probably book more because of the destinations.

We were on a 2 week cruise from Iceland to Svalbard this past summer. We had some issues with the food. There were a couple of dishes that were down right unedible, and I eat pretty much what is put in front of me. Meats were pretty consistently undercooked. You should not have pink in the middle of your chicken. I am pretty sure the health dept would not approve of this in tulsa.

Perhaps the chef was taking lessons from colleagues in Iceland!

I have heard that they serve everything cooked rare there, including chicken and even pork. This is, of course, anathema to those of us who have been raised to cook our pork until all trichinosis (and flavor, and moisture) have been completely eradicated... :)

We did find some interesting things served raw on the menu, when we spent a few days there last winter... Whale sashimi, anyone? :eek:

That said, while we enjoyed the food on Explorer, agree that it's not quite the same as on the big SS ships.

Archived