Would you pay $200 to upgrade to a 4K alaska?

firefly333

Im booked regular inside on Miracle for Alaska. I have never been. I cant find anyone else who wants to go, so it will probably be solo. I asked for the cost to upgrade, and was quoted $100 pp, and asked for clarification .. since I had said solo, but alas of course they meant $200, double for solo.

If it was a solo cruise, would you pay $200 to get the french doors to hear the glaciers calving at night as you pass them? Its already going to cost me about $2K to do this cruise.. so $200 is probably a drop in the bucket.

Heck yeah I would! But I would have (did) paid the mega bucks for a balcony in Alaska. Heading out on the Coral Princess in a few months, looking forward to trying a new cruiseline as well, although I have loved every one of my Carnival cruises. I say... Do it!

I always book low-priced cabins and I've never been to Alaska. When I do finally make it to Alaska it will be in a balcony cabin for the view. I won't go until I can afford a balcony. The scenery is the draw and I wouldn't want to miss a thing.

I don't think that I would. There's no way that you will be satisfied with the view, and I don't recall ever hearing the glaciers calve at night. The only time that we were ever close enough to a glacier to hear was in Glacier Bay, and on a private tour thru the Kenai Peninsula...and both were during the day. If you can't spring for a balcony....and that would we worth the extra cost imo, then use the $200 for a good pair of binoculars and a rain jacket for the outer decks.

I've sailed Alaska twice. The first was in a suite, the second an aft balcony. The aft was the best.

Im booked regular inside on Miracle for Alaska. I have never been. I cant find anyone else who wants to go, so it will probably be solo. I asked for the cost to upgrade, and was quoted $100 pp, and asked for clarification .. since I had said solo, but alas of course they meant $200, double for solo.

If it was a solo cruise, would you pay $200 to get the french doors to hear the glaciers calving at night as you pass them? Its already going to cost me about $2K to do this cruise.. so $200 is probably a drop in the bucket.

I have been to alaska 3 times now and now I would not pay to upgrade from an inside to a 4k.

If you are going to pay go to a 7a and pick a room that is behind the first three life boats. (the fist ones are taller and come to the top of the balcony rail. The others come to the floor of the balcony.)

Don't do it. We had one of these on the Pride and there was a Catwalk on the other side of the rail that the crew used when they were working on the life boats and they were up there at varying times during the day. I'd be very uncomfortable leaving my door open as it would be very accessible. Use the money for a really great excursion instead!

If you are not getting a balcony don't bother upgrading, you are going to spend all your time on deck watching the scenery.

the 4K the windows do open and I have my choice of cabins, so I would have the view.

I guess I dont see the difference. I get the fresh air and a view with a 4K.

I am not one to sit out on a balcony anyway.

So far, looks like people say dont bother?

the 4K the windows do open and I have my choice of cabins, so I would have the view.

I guess I dont see the difference. I get the fresh air and a view with a 4K.

I am not one to sit out on a balcony anyway.

So far, looks like people say dont bother?

I personally would ... we just upgraded from regular inside to a 4K on our British Isles cruise (along with most of our roll call!).

We thought the fresh air and sunlight was worth the extra cost, but still way cheaper than a balcony!

Did you see the thread about Legend 4K's yesterday? There's some pictures there of the view between lifeboats.

Have fun in Alaska! We did HAL on our honeymoon last year and it was AMAZING! :)

Jenn

The problem is that with Alaska you need a more expansive view. The limited view that you would get with a 4k wouldn't allow for searching for wildlife, or getting the perspective that you need. The 4k allows for you to see maybe a 4 foot wide area at a time. When in Alaska, you need to scan large areas (preferably with binoculars) as you sail.

If it's fresh air that you're after, that's a different story.

The problem is that with Alaska you need a more expansive view. The limited view that you would get with a 4k wouldn't allow for searching for wildlife, or getting the perspective that you need. The 4k allows for you to see maybe a 4 foot wide area at a time. When in Alaska, you need to scan large areas (preferably with binoculars) as you sail.

Totally in agreement.

I'm curious if the view is better from one side more than the other. I'm not really sure how close the cruiseship comes to land/glaciers.

It only matters if you are doing a one-way, then go Port-South, Starboard-North. A R/T from Seattle wouldn't really matter as much.

I agree with that ... for glacier viewing you wouldn't want to be in your cabin.

But - it would be nice when you get up in the morning to have a bit of a view to look at, or times when you're in your cabin before dinner or whenever.

Alaska is like no other cruise you have ever taken. We spent most of our time on the balcony looking at the scenery and searching the waters for whales. I didn't want to go inside. I was afraid that I would miss something exciting. Due to the clear, pure air, the sunrises are amazing.

If you can swing it, I don't think you'd regret a view whether it is a window or balcony.

This is what I would do. If I was going to go inside then I would want to be somewhere where I can be outside fairly quickly. I would try to book cabin 4233 if it is still open. It is a 4B cabin and the only inside on the main Deck. It is all the way aft and across from these side doors that lead to an outside staircase. The stairs take you right down to the wrap around Promenade one deck below. from there you have a whole outside deck and are right by the Aft section of the outside deck as well.

We stay in the VS Suites on Deck 4 and use these staircases often. They are a great little known feature.

You won't hear them at night- the ship is near glaciers when you can see them. I would take the money and sign onto the off ship excursion up to the glaciers in Tracey Arm which is offered- expensive and completely worth it. You will get much closer to the glaciers. Especially in August. You will be on deck to see the glaciers anyway- you'll be back and forth from one side to the other.

You won't hear them at night- the ship is near glaciers when you can see them. I would take the money and sign onto the off ship excursion up to the glaciers in Tracey Arm which is offered- expensive and completely worth it. You will get much closer to the glaciers. Especially in August. You will be on deck to see the glaciers anyway- you'll be back and forth from one side to the other.

thanks.

Yes it was cheaper in May, but Im on Allure, so had to push out the date to go.

So, I will do what you suggest. thanks all for helping me make up my mind.

Alaska is like no other cruise you have ever taken. We spent most of our time on the balcony looking at the scenery and searching the waters for whales. I didn't want to go inside. I was afraid that I would miss something exciting. Due to the clear, pure air, the sunrises are amazing.

If you can swing it, I don't think you'd regret a view whether it is a window or balcony.

Ditto!

I loved being so close to the water and the views in Alaska are spectacular. I say go for it.

thanks.

Yes it was cheaper in May, but Im on Allure, so had to push out the date to go.

So, I will do what you suggest. thanks all for helping me make up my mind.

I don't think you will regret it. Yes balconies are wonderful but solo they are a killer. And the excursion is wonderful. You can book it in advance directly and I would reccomend that. It is not listed yet- if you check earlier sailings it is the same company and if I remember correctly you actually contact them directly. No deposit- just a note. It fills up quickly so worth looking around to find it.

Tempted to ask if you want a roommate- I have been in May on both our trips and would love to see the glaciers later in the season. but August is a no go for me so I won't even consider it. But would be wonderful.

I'm going to agree with most posters that say don't bother. We had an inside cause that was what we could afford. But then the only time we were in our cabin was to sleep.

And right about hearing the glaciers calve. The only time you will have that happen is while you are in Glacier Bay. No real random glaciers that you go by.

I agree the fresh air might be nice, but I would totally spend that $200 on an awesome excursion cause there really is nothing like alaska in my opinion. That was my DH first cruise and i'm pretty sure if we had gone south instead, he wouldn't be as excited about our next one.

This year the Tracy Arm excursion is $179 per person so you can use that $200 for that. I am in a 4K because I do like seeing the sunlight and for some reason to me the rooms seem a little bigger than the regular insides. The 7A's are a great deal to me and I agree go with one after the third lifeboat.

I have been to Alaska and I normally get inside rooms. IMO I would get a full balcony for this cruise. There was a naturalist on our cruise and she would announce things and we would go out to look if we were in the room. I think Alaska is one cruise where the balcony is a MUST

Im going to have to take notes on which excursions are worth it. Are they only thru Carnival etc.

The chance was there, and so far some others have signed up, but I dont know them yet, but we can talk on roll call.

I have seen some sales on HAL but when you call the cruise is not a round trip out of Seattle, or something that wouldnt work .. not in August.

I wasnt even looking for Carnival .. but this came up as a group cruise, so I took the plunge.

Not planned, but something on my wish list.

Panama is also on my wish list, but my TA is offering the group cruise between my Celebrity and Allure cruises, and Id have to give up both to go. So Alaska it is :D

I have not reseached it at all .. all new to me. so thanks for the tips.

Im going to have to take notes on which excursions are worth it. Are they only thru Carnival etc.

The chance was there, and so far some others have signed up, but I dont know them yet, but we can talk on roll call.

I have seen some sales on HAL but when you call the cruise is not a round trip out of Seattle, or something that wouldnt work .. not in August.

I wasnt even looking for Carnival .. but this came up as a group cruise, so I took the plunge.

Not planned, but something on my wish list.

Panama is also on my wish list, but my TA is offering the group cruise between my Celebrity and Allure cruises, and Id have to give up both to go. So Alaska it is :D

I have not reseached it at all .. all new to me. so thanks for the tips.

We did all our excursions independently - there's a lot of good info on different options in the Alaska forum!

In Juneau we did whale watching with Harv & Marv (our fav day!). We were very lucky and saw Orca's and Humpbacks.

In Skagway we did the railway/bus combo to the Yukon with Chilkoot Tours.

In Ketchikan we were supposed to go flight seeing with Island Wings, but it was cancelled due to rain/fog :(

Alaska was simply incredible - I'm hoping one day we'll get back to do a one-way cruise. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time no matter what room you're in!

J

Archived