Oh Man, This Is Hard......

Avril

Avril, I must agree with you - the Carnival Cruise Line that I knew and loved no longer exists! Prior to my recent cruise on the Valor, last month, I had been on four previous Carnival cruises - one in 2005; two in 2007; and one in 2009. Compared to my previous cruise experiences with Carnival and my most recent experience onboard the Valor in January 2012, I must say Carnival has declined significantly in many ways. The service in the MDR was poor - never before have we receive our bottle of wine after we had finished our main course nor sat waiting for our side dishes to be served - which never were. It was obvious that the servers had more tables to service than on previous cruises. The food in the buffet was definitely worst than the last time I cruised Carnival - one bite of my new scrambled "powdered eggs" was enough for me to begin shopping for a new cruise line - the omelets were not much better. My DH and I also observed that the class/caliber of the new clientele that Carnival Cruise Line is now attracting is significantly lower than what we encountered on all of our previous cruises with Carnival. While I don't consider it proper etiquette to wear a baseball cap on backwards and to leave it on during the entire time one is dining in the MDR - which is now the norm not the exception - I really can not stomach low class jerks, such as the one in the cabin next to mine recently. The jerk who greets each new sunrise by standing out on his balcony trying to cough up a lung and then proceeding to spit said particles from his lung off his balcony out into the sea - each and every morning.:eek: And while this is going on my DH and I are just trying to enjoy our morning coffee and the sunrise. No thanks - that's not my idea of an enjoyable vacation. And so, after our 12-Day Mediterranen cruise on the Carnival Breeze in October, which was already booked prior to sailing on the Valor, we too will be looking for another cruise line even if it means opening the wallet a bit more....it's true, you get what you pay for!

Blondie:)

Avril, I must agree with you - the Carnival Cruise Line that I knew and loved no longer exists! Prior to my recent cruise on the Valor, last month, I had been on four previous Carnival cruises - one in 2005; two in 2007; and one in 2009. Compared to my previous cruise experiences with Carnival and my most recent experience onboard the Valor in January 2012, I must say Carnival has declined significantly in many ways. The service in the MDR was poor - never before have we receive our bottle of wine after we had finished our main course nor sat waiting for our side dishes to be served - which never were. It was obvious that the servers had more tables to service than on previous cruises. The food in the buffet was definitely worst than the last time I cruised Carnival - one bite of my new scrambled "powdered eggs" was enough for me to begin shopping for a new cruise line - the omelets were not much better. My DH and I also observed that the class/caliber of the new clientele that Carnival Cruise Line is now attracting is significantly lower than what we encountered on all of our previous cruises with Carnival. While I don't consider it proper etiquette to wear a baseball cap on backwards and to leave it on during the entire time one is dining in the MDR - which is now the norm not the exception - I really can not stomach low class jerks, such as the one in the cabin next to mine recently. The jerk who greets each new sunrise by standing out on his balcony trying to cough up a lung and then proceeding to spit said particles from his lung off his balcony out into the sea - each and every morning.:eek: And while this is going on my DH and I are just trying to enjoy our morning coffee and the sunrise. No thanks - that's not my idea of an enjoyable vacation. And so, after our 12-Day Mediterranen cruise on the Carnival Breeze in October, which was already booked prior to sailing on the Valor, we too will be looking for another cruise line even if it means opening the wallet a bit more....it's true, you get what you pay for!

I doubt the poor guy who has some sort of lung ailment enjoyed his morning "spit ups" either.

When you malign "the ill"...remember, that may be you some day. And, when you take the more expensive cruises...you're going to find older people...older, sicker and more feeble than on Carnival.

My post was in regard .. have you tried Oasis or Allure specifically before you condemn all mega ships?? since you avoided the question, Im guessing thats a no. ..they are fascinating in their own way. I dont think people can know they would not like these ships because they did other semi large ships. To me only Allure and Oasis are mega ships, the others are just large and larger. So you fell back to how many cruises you have done as proof you would not like what you have not tried.

I think you cant condemn what you have not tried. Sorry, but I also would condemn someone on the RCL boards who would say they dont like Carnival, but have never tried it.

Keep it classy .. ok. I just think if you have not tried something you might be surprised before you condemn it.

You're not going to believe this.

Just had dinner with my son and his GF. Guess what? Long story short: family cruise on ALLURE the third week of January. I can't even believe it. My mother is going- they all decided last night. I dragged my iPhone out of my purse-- "omg I was just fighting with this guy on Cruisecritic about this TODAY!!":eek:. I seriously thought they were pranking. One of my other sons, the cruise ship obsessed 13 year old, was whispering in my ear "6 thousand people, Mom. Hot dogs." But what could I say? "No, I won't go with the four family members who are already going because I'm booked on the Maasdam in October"? Not bloody likely, as DH would say.

So I'm actually kind of excited. Only issue now: how am I going to afford it???

In no way, shape, or form am I maligning the truly sick and ill. However, the young "thirtysomething" man in the cabin next to mine could very well have a self inflicted lung problem as a result of his chain smoking cigarette habit. And please, don't even think about lecturing me on how difficult it is to quit the smoking habit as I too was once a chain smoker and quit cold turkey over twenty years ago.

And BTW, as a senior I have my own - non self inflicted - health issues and would much rather cruise with an older, more refined and cultured group of fellow passengers than some of the crude, unrefined younger passengers I recently encountered on my Carnival Valor cruise.

Blondie

I really can not stomach low class jerks, such as the one in the cabin next to mine recently. The jerk who greets each new sunrise by standing out on his balcony trying to cough up a lung and then proceeding to spit said particles from his lung off his balcony out into the sea - each and every morning.:eek: And while this is going on my DH and I are just trying to enjoy our morning coffee and the sunrise. No thanks

Really? Low class jerk because someone coughs? Wow! :rolleyes:

I have sailed 5 different lines and have bad news for you but people are going to cough, grunt, belch anywhere you go.

If the ship was underway it probably didn't make it to the water. Thats just dumb and disgusting and disrespectful

My post was in regard .. have you tried Oasis or Allure specifically before you condemn all mega ships?? since you avoided the question, Im guessing thats a no. ..they are fascinating in their own way. I dont think people can know they would not like these ships because they did other semi large ships. To me only Allure and Oasis are mega ships, the others are just large and larger. So you fell back to how many cruises you have done as proof you would not like what you have not tried.

I think you cant condemn what you have not tried. Sorry, but I also would condemn someone on the RCL boards who would say they dont like Carnival, but have never tried it.

Keep it classy .. ok. I just think if you have not tried something you might be surprised before you condemn it.

I have no desire to sail any of the mega ships on any of the lines. I'm sure they offer a wonderful experience and offer many options that the smaller ships have. But when I was in the Navy I was stationed on an aircraft carrier, so I really have no desire to sail on a ship with that many people ever again. Even the new NCL ships being built will have too many people onboard for my taste.

Hey, there is nothing wrong with branching out. You will have a great time trying out different lines.

I did! :D

This is what free-choice is all about. Avril-- It's your hard earned money; spend it where you will be happiest.

I hope to try some other Lines and Ships as time progresses.

Hi Avril,

Now that all the posters have said their peace.

I have to say ; I think all cruises are providing less than what we are accustomed to. You and I have been on cruises that excedded our expectations in the past. Those were great. Now a days, the new expectation may be less.

Remember those " good ole days". I sure do, now we need to make the best of what is offered.

Did your mom get the benefits of being VIP on the 2nd part of the B2B?

Did the past guest benny's prove to be up to the cruiseline's advertisements?

Girl, I still need picture's of the review. Remember what I told you @ the pub, A review with out pictures, are only words.

Call me Dan

Funny you should mention THAT..I just saw what you are speaking of and it made me upset...

Now, don't get me wrong, the complaint was a bit insane...(if you are talking about the FB one) and even if I had witnessed/heard someone with that complaint while on board a ship, I probably would have come here and posted it.

BUT I am not a Carnival employee.

All I could think was, I used to work with the public, so I know how crazy people are and if I had 'one of those' people, I would often come home and rant to my dh about the insanity.

However, even though I only worked for a small business, if I'd have posted about that person on a blog or a FB page...just to get a very predictable response from my followers...I'd have been fired in no time flat.

I just don't understand this. I have been saying this for months. It makes NO sense to me how Carnival is OK with it.

:confused::confused:

It is such a turn off. WHY would you treat your customers like this???

today's public humiliation of a carnival passenger takes the cake.

a passenger got upset when there was an announcement of a passenger overboard alert, which turned out to be a crew member. she had wished it was announced it was a crew member, so she didn't go through those minutes panicing that it was not her child.

and while the brand ambassadors explanation is quite sane, it's open duck season on this mother by the jh lynch mob, who has now dragged her and her parenting skills through the mud, even being called a bad mother for not knowing where her 12 year old was, among other things, including the normal jabs at cruise critic by former banned members.

when are the beards or ceo at carnival going to cut this nonsence off at the source?

today's public humiliation of a carnival passenger takes the cake.

a passenger got upset when there was an announcement of a passenger overboard alert, which turned out to be a crew member. she had wished it was announced it was a crew member, so she didn't go through those minutes panicing that it was not her child.

and while the brand ambassadors explanation is quite sane, it's open duck season on this mother by the jh lynch mob, who has now dragged her and her parenting skills through the mud, even being called a bad mother for not knowing where her 12 year old was, among other things, including the normal jabs at cruise critic by former banned members.

when are the beards or ceo at carnival going to cut this nonsence off at the source?

I am so happy that I am not the only one who cannot believe this goes on and CCL is OK with it.

It's BEYOND unbelieveable.

EDITED...I just went and looked...couldn't read too many responses before feeling sick so I stopped.

*shakeshead*

Archived