dramamine vs. bonine..which do you prefer?

LEXIpoo

Take Bonine...dramamine makes most people sleepy. Start the Bonine the night before boarding and then continue with 1 each night before bed. You can take another 12 hours later if needed. It does make me a little sleepy if I take it in the daytime but doesn't affect my husband. We only take it twice a day is the seas are extremely rough.

We also take a ginger tablet in the morning before breakfast and again in the evening just before dinner. Unless we have really rough seas, this works great for us. If we have rough seas...we both suffer a little even with this, but cruising is so great, it's worth a little discomfort once in a while!

Have a great time...cruising is the BEST!:)

I have found that Dramamine gives me heart palpitations and an over-sedated groggy feeling. Bonine works better for me with no side effects. You can get it over the counter at the Costco pharmacy for really cheap. Good luck!

just wondering what your experience has been with either of the two..I don't get sea sick but my bf does so I'm looking into them.

used non-drowsy dramamine last time and worked great. no side effects at all.

Two drugs....Bonine(meclizine) and Dramamine(dimenhydrinate). Less-Drowsy Dramamine is in fact meclizine.

BOTH products are antihistamines and BOTH products have the exact same

safety, efficacy, and side-effect profile. No difference. However meclizine OR dimenhydrinate MAY cause less side effects, drowsiness included, in each individual. No way to know without taking. Package labeling many times as in this case often means nothing...

Meclizine, in any brand/form is the most prescribed drug for vertigo/motion sickness. Period. Best bet is to go to your local pharmacy and you can buy a bottle of 100 generic meclizine 25mg for the price of 8-12 name brand whatever.

just wondering what your experience has been with either of the two..I don't get sea sick but my bf does so I'm looking into them.

I get motion sick very easily (in my car, even in my swimming pool if others are splashing around) and this past week we sailed on the Conquest and I took Bonine twice a day and didn't get sick at all even on Saturday when we had 50 mph winds and big waves. Our ship was rocking ALOT, I did take 3 Bonine on Saturday, every 8 hours.

I don't get as sleepy when I take Bonine.

Two drugs....Bonine(meclizine) and Dramamine(dimenhydrinate). Less-Drowsy Dramamine is in fact meclizine.

BOTH products are antihistamines and BOTH products have the exact same

safety, efficacy, and side-effect profile. No difference. However meclizine OR dimenhydrinate MAY cause less side effects, drowsiness included, in each individual. No way to know without taking. Package labeling many times as in this case often means nothing...

Meclizine, in any brand/form is the most prescribed drug for vertigo/motion sickness. Period. Best bet is to go to your local pharmacy and you can buy a bottle of 100 generic meclizine 25mg for the price of 8-12 name brand whatever.

AGREE 100%!! Second cruise experienced quite a bit of movement ... Carnival Doctor had a pouch of individual packets of Meclazine hanging outside their door. Meclizine used to be Rx only and I've had wonderful luck with it. In fact ... I have taken it before going to the amusement park with my kids --- didn't have problems there until after having kids, but the Meclizine helps immensely.

It is very inexpensive and you can even order off Amazon.com (I recently ordered it for our upcoming cruise.)

Has anyone tried the pressure point bracelets? I use them on every cruise for the first day or two. I have never had a problem with being sick or sleepy. Someone suggested them when I got sick on a deep sea fishing trip. They worked like a charm.

Enjoy our cruise :cool:

Never used these, but did get some for the next cruise, along with the meclizine.

I'm a scuba diver who gets seasick very easily, so I've tried everything. I really hate the fact that Dramomine puts me to sleep (which is no good for diving), but Bonine (non drowsy Dramomine) just doesn't work for me. After a lot of trials, I've found that taking half a Dramomine pill does the trick and doesn't put me to sleep.

You folks on this thread are perhaps a little out of date on these meds.

Dramamine II (not the original) and Bonine BOTH have the SAME ingredient which is the generic MECLIZINE.

IF you get sick on the ship they'll give you the generic Meclizine but you can also buy it at any pharmacy here in the USA.

Archived