So Chair Hogs dont have rights?

JPTexan82

What about assigned seating would that work on the pool deck, the more you pay for your cabin the better seats you get?

Who is to decide what is better...and what if you only use your seats 1 out of 7 days...sitting empty would be worse than being hogged.

Everyone tries to come up with a different solution to the problem...there is no solution other than to not do it!

I think the big issue here is how do you know how long the person has been gone for and what constitutes a "chair hog". DH and I usually travel alone but have been on cruises with our kids too. If I come to the pool with my daughter and son and we take three chairs, then my son goes to swim in the pool (probably longer than 30 minutes) then the chair that his towel is on, is that chair being "hogged"? Or if we go to get something to eat and my teen daughter stays back to watch the stuff, and the line at the food area is especially long that day and we get back 31 minutes later, does someone have the right to just intimidate my child and remove the stuff from the other two chairs?

I always thought that "chair hoggers" were large groups of people (as there are many groups that travel together on these boards), who assign one or two people in their group to go down to the poolside early in the morning and "reserve" chairs with their own towels and sometimes other personal items and wait for the rest of their group. Not couples on their honeymoon or something. Am I wrong?:confused:

It is not complicated. Whenever my wife and I get up to leave a chair except for the pool or hot tub we take our things. What is so hard about that? We will find another chair! The chairs are for all the guests, not just for you. I find it sad that someone would actually worry about their a chair while on vacation. Not supprised mind you just sad.

But even if your intentions are not keeping, you could still be blamed for touching, I would not want that on me! Some drunken fool, starting drama. I would rather sit on the concrete than move someones things. Now if it is a camp full of children hogging with towels and not using, that is completely different.

What's the difference between unruly, rude children and unruly, rude adults other than one is taller than the other (in most cases).

Rude, item hogging behaviour is just wrong.

NO chair hogs have no rights but lets not stop there! Chair hogs that smoke, bring their kids, insist on everybody wearing tuxedos and only eat shrimp cocktail should all be thrown overboard! :D Oh yeah....carnival "cheerleaders" throw them too!

Loving this thread. Especially liked the comment about the mother-in-law!! :)

Just had to comment as we were on the Destiny in December. Was kind of a cool overcast afternoon and we spent over an hour in or around the hot tub on the back deck. We had placed our towels and bags on our chairs where we sat for awhile before deciding to enjoy the hot tub. There were not a lot of people at the aft pool/hot tub and were more empty chairs than taken ones.

While sitting in the hot tub for about 30 minutes I noticed a woman moving my husbands stuff from his chair. Now as stated before there were many empty loungers to be had. I proceeded to get out of the hot tub, walk over to her and asked her why she felt the need to remove my stuff from my chair? The look on her face was priceless and she was stuttering all over herself. I said it was probably better is she kept her hands to herself and to find a new place to sit.

I am not a chair hog, but would expect that while using the pool and hot tub my belongings will stay put where I left them.

It is not complicated. Whenever my wife and I get up to leave a chair except for the pool or hot tub we take our things. What is so hard about that? We will find another chair! The chairs are for all the guests, not just for you. I find it sad that someone would actually worry about their a chair while on vacation. Not supprised mind you just sad.

While I certainly agree with you, several of the chair vigilantes have said that your belongings are at risk even if you are in the pool or hot tub.

My guess at Carnivals new chair hog policy:

Hi kids, here at Camp Carnival we have a brand new fun game we know you'll love! It's called CHOG scavenger hunt! We're going to form teams and the team that brings back the most towels, flip flops, beach bags and magazines win! The only rule, they must be taken from an unused chair on Lido. :D

Not saying that im For or Against Chair Hogs. I have to be real careful what I say or the Admins will be upset.

But how is it right for someone to touch someone elses stuff and move it, because in the real world that is a form of assult. But in good faith is it right to move their stuff?

Of course, everybody has a right! Right to act like they have some sense. Common sense is always best but some sense none-the-less. Momma didn't raise no fool! So no need for anyone to act like one. And if they do act the fool by holding 10 seats when you only need 4 or 5 at any given time, then they have a "right" to look for their stuff when it is moved or disappears. Then they have a right to wonder who, where, and why their stuff got moved. They have a right to then look around for any belongings and/or another chair that might now be available. I am also not concerned with the 30 min. rule as who's counting? If you are not using it and wont be using it very "shortly", give it up and move on. Someone else could use it so "let it be"(I love that song!). Besides, can't we all just get along?

Yeah, so I'm a little creepy....:mad:

no offense meant to you at all!!! Just creeped out by the awkwardness of being called "hot"...not something a mom hears every day, you know? And not really knowing how to respond. :o

What I should have said, but I was afraid it would come off as cocky or arrogant, was "thank you". And part of me wondered if you were joking? Anyhow, I'll say it now with 100% sincerity and humbleness....Thank you! ;)

My guess at Carnivals new chair hog policy:

Hi kids, here at Camp Carnival we have a brand new fun game we know you'll love! It's called CHOG scavenger hunt! We're going to form teams and the team that brings back the most towels, flip flops, beach bags and magazines win! The only rule, they must be taken from an unused chair on Lido. :D

Actually, this would be a great daytime activity for the older kids in Club 02 or Circle C...those with the most belongings at the end of the day wins a ship on a stick! LOVE IT!!

Just had to comment as we were on the Destiny in December. Was kind of a cool overcast afternoon and we spent over an hour in or around the hot tub on the back deck. We had placed our towels and bags on our chairs where we sat for awhile before deciding to enjoy the hot tub. There were not a lot of people at the aft pool/hot tub and were more empty chairs than taken ones.

While sitting in the hot tub for about 30 minutes I noticed a woman moving my husbands stuff from his chair. Now as stated before there were many empty loungers to be had. I proceeded to get out of the hot tub, walk over to her and asked her why she felt the need to remove my stuff from my chair? The look on her face was priceless and she was stuttering all over herself. I said it was probably better is she kept her hands to herself and to find a new place to sit.

I am not a chair hog, but would expect that while using the pool and hot tub my belongings will stay put where I left them.

While I see what you are saying and if I knew you were in the pool or hot tub I would not move your stuff with other chairs around, the policy does say 30 minutes...if you are not sitting the in the chair and not using it(other than to hold your stuff), you are technically hogging it...

So what im finding out here, if you leave your stuff on a chair and lets say you did it at 8am, you leave at 10 am to go get a massage you dont have a right to come back to the chair you were at for two hours already?

I believe they are chairs and not lockers so I would assume that people are leaving their things there knowingly at their own risk. I guess if you saved chairs with $100 bills there would be no problem either. :)

Didn't John Heald recently post on his FB page or blog that Carnival is doing something about CHOG's and asked if anyone has noticed a difference??

We were pleasantly surprised on the Splendor a few weeks ago. Did not notice any chair hogging at all! We were even able to get 2 loungers near the aft pool at high noon on a sea day! :)

I did notice a couple of the ship's staff (officers? they were wearing nice uniforms) observing the aft pool area from the deck above. Perhaps they were looking to see if there was hogging going on.

I have friends who take "post it" notes to the pool. If there are no chairs available, they watch for someone to leave, write the time on a note and post it to the chair. After 30 minutes, they remove the person's personal items, put the note with them and give them to a crew member.

Archived