So Chair Hogs dont have rights?

JPTexan82

Hi. I'm going on my fourth cruise in May. On my last cruise on the Fantasy, there was a family of three- seemed to be mom and her grown child and their spouse. This family reserved the same table on the Lido deck and the same exact chairs by the pool for the entire five day cruise!!! Even when we were in port. Would the 30 minute time limit apply to one of the tables that are on the Lido deck as well? Many times that was the only table that was empty ( it was on the Starboard side so they filled up fast because of it being the smoking side. My DH is a smoker).

It really irritates me to see people who think they are better than everyone else and who think that they don't have to follow the rules.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't matter. People that go against the rules don't care if they see signs posted, all they care about is their own selfish selves.:(

Well as anyone can tell you (and just check any MDR thread) there are no rules,,only suggestions. Even though these non-rules are typed, written , online, and in that schedule thing in the stateroom.

These people need to have thier foreheads stamped with their slogan "It's my vacation (and MY SHIP) and I can do what I want",,then we would know who we are supposed to cater too. In fact, for those that use chairs (I am not a sun or chair person so it's up to you guys), you would know that even though you rightfully are occupying a chair, you need to give it up to these pillars of society.

So what im finding out here, if you leave your stuff on a chair and lets say you did it at 8am, you leave at 10 am to go get a massage you dont have a right to come back to the chair you were at for two hours already?

Now you get it! Now, go away.

So what im finding out here, if you leave your stuff on a chair and lets say you did it at 8am, you leave at 10 am to go get a massage you dont have a right to come back to the chair you were at for two hours already?

In what world ISN'T that rude?

You're not going to be using the chair... LET SOMEONE ELSE USE IT. Period.

Its common freaking courtesy.

If I use a parking space, and then go somewhere, do I have the right to save it because I will be back later?

In what world ISN'T that rude?

You're not going to be using the chair... LET SOMEONE ELSE USE IT. Period.

Its common freaking courtesy.

If I use a parking space, and then go somewhere, do I have the right to save it because I will be back later?

Agreed.

I disagree,, it could take 30 minutes to get lunch if i hit it whenever one else is going. Im not going to get lunch only to jam it down in 10 minutes so someone does not take the chair. i will relax for lunch and then go back

also if im not there when you decide to look for a chair doesnt mean my stuff has been on there since 6am and i have not been present.

.....just sayin.....................

Then take your crap with you and find another chair when you're done.

Just sayin'

Well I would suck it up and move on. Its like General Admission to a concert first come first serve.

Let us know how that works out for you.

Carnival isn't going to make someone give your chair back if you've been gone more than 30 minutes.

Of course that is the question is 30 minutes really 30 minutes. Unfortunately you get a lot of people that just take the view point that if it is empty they are just going to move the stuff. While most of the people claim that they have waited for 30 minutes before moving how many really do? I know I have far better thnigs to do then sitting with a watch looking at a particular seat or group of seats for 30 minutes.

Just as the chair hogs claim reasons for what they do, the chair vigilantes also claim their reasons. Each is just trying to justify their behavior. The ship has set the rules, it is up to the ship to enforce them. It is appropriate to ask a crew member to enforce the rules (of course the biggest issue when you ask a crew member to moves someones things, they most likely do not know if the person claiming that the 30 minute rule has been violated is correct or not.

Both sides feel superior in their sense of entitlement.

Clearly there is the case of someone coming out and claiming 10-15 seats early for a group. It far far less clear for individual seats where somoen may have been gone for just a few minutes and someone tries to grab the seat before 30 minutes because after all if no one is it they must be a chair hog and they are entitled to move the stuff and grab it.

Yep, it can be an endless cycle. I look for chairs in the shade for the most part and if we decide to sit in the sun for a bit (which hurts our tender Vermont skin cause we see so little of it:cool:) we walk around until we find a couple of chairs together, they don't need to be by the pool (and as I said in an earlier post my family of 7 gets by just fine with 2 to 3 chairs).

I move people stuff all the time. The way I look at it is. Reserving a chair is against the rules. By placing a item and leaving it for a length of time ( more then 30 minutes) is breaking the rules and in my mind I am justified by removing your stuff.

I do my best to find a chair that isn't being reserved but if I can't off your stuff goes and down I sit.

Now I know how this web site survives. Someone needs to post up this topic and just beat it to death over and over and over again.

Perhaps the CC site plants these for just this reason. 9 to 10 pages of replies in one day? I need the jobs of those who have the time to slice and dice this silly subject all day long.

I am just sayin'.....

1. It's first come, first serve I always say. You have no right to touch my stuff if I've got that chair for the day. If you move my stuff, you're a chair bully.

2. If you know that I haven't been back to my chair for more than 30 minutes, you're obviously worried too much about stuff like this and need to do more relaxing on your vacation.

I follow the unwritten rules my friend. By the way, I guess I'm the stupid one with the great chair location.

Not if you leave it for more than 30 minutes and I require a chair. :D

Oh yeah, whatever crap you left on what is now "my" chair will be in pile wherever it was convenient for me to toss it.

I'm extremely happy to see that nothing has changed in the 2 years I was away from these boards as far as chairhogs are concerned. As for what happened to the "stuff" that was moved? I distinctly remember on one cruise, seeing peoples flip-flops, towels, sunglasses, books, etc go flying overboard. While it is illegal to throw items overboard, I do have to admit it was hilarious. The look when the chairhog came back and the "chair thief" as they were called, informed them that their crap was floating in the Atlantic ocean somewhere - PRICELESS!

As funny as this sounds and would be to watch, I can say I would never throw someone else's stuff over board - I can't litter on the ground let alone litter in the ocean and endanger the sea life.

Wow, sounds extreme, not to mention dangerous! You never really know who you are dealing with and there are plenty of people out there who will surely punch someone in the face if they throw their stuff overboard. Is it annoying when people hog chairs? Sure, but I dont think that destroying people's property is the answer, especially when you are with a bunch of strangers at sea who may have had quite a bit to drink. :eek:

He said it was something he watched not something he did.

Now I know how this web site survives. Someone needs to post up this topic and just beat it to death over and over and over again.

Perhaps the CC site plants these for just this reason. 9 to 10 pages of replies in one day? I need the jobs of those who have the time to slice and dice this silly subject all day long.

I am just sayin'.....

And yet here you are posting in the topic that you believe has been planted here. :confused:

I follow the unwritten rules my friend. By the way, I guess I'm the stupid one with the great chair location.

Unless you leave your stuff, and someone moves it.

What are you going to do? You can't MAKE them give the chair back, and the cruiseline will side with them.

You people are wound too tight. Of course I'm exaggerating. BUT, let me give you another scenario.

Let's say I am in a chair, and it's a very hot day. And I decide that I'm going to hang out in the pool for a while (longer than 30 minutes), after which I plan to return to my chair for some sunning.

Do you still have the right to move my stuff?

As funny as this sounds and would be to watch, I can say I would never throw someone else's stuff over board - I can't litter on the ground let alone litter in the ocean and endanger the sea life.

He said it was something he watched not something he did.

And yet here you are posting in the topic that you believe has been planted here. :confused:

Agreed - I don't believe in littering. I'm the kind of person that wipes off the table at a restaurant and piles up the dirty dishes for easier removal. Do they have a staff member that does this? Sure, but it only takes me an extra minute to make a dirty dining table a bit easier to clear. I also make the bed at hotels and on cruises. Sure, I'm on vacation, but if I can make someone else's life just a bit easier...

Archived