Pantyhose -Yes or No

SewMuch

I've been wearing pants a lot more than I used to to work, especially in winter, so generally wear thin "trouser socks." In summer, I'll wear nice sandals. However, when I wear skirts or dresses and it's not sandal season here in the cold northeast US, I still wear pantyhose, or sometimes thin tights. It's not so much for looks but because I really dislike the feeling of shoes, other than sandals, on my bare feet. For some shoes, I can get away with low "peds" or "footies," but even those can get uncomfortable, not stay in place, and do not work with a lot of shoe styles. Since I appear to be living in the dark ages with regard to foot and leg wear, :confused:what do you non-pantyhose-wearing folks use on your feet (if anything) when you wear shoes with skirts or dresses?

I've been wearing pants a lot more than I used to to work, especially in winter, so generally wear thin "trouser socks." In summer, I'll wear nice sandals. However, when I wear skirts or dresses and it's not sandal season here in the cold northeast US, I still wear pantyhose, or sometimes thin tights. It's not so much for looks but because I really dislike the feeling of shoes, other than sandals, on my bare feet. For some shoes, I can get away with low "peds" or "footies," but even those can get uncomfortable, not stay in place, and do not work with a lot of shoe styles. Since I appear to be living in the dark ages with regard to foot and leg wear, :confused:what do you non-pantyhose-wearing folks use on your feet (if anything) when you wear shoes with skirts or dresses?

I don't wear anything. I prefer to just have my barefeet in my shoes. That way they are not sliding at all especially with heels. Your foot stays put. If I wear pants I will wear trousar socks with boots or booties but always barefoot in pumps.

If you feel better with them then wear them. If on the other hand you hate hose like I do then don't wear them. It is up to you which way you are more comfortable. No one will notice one way or the other.

I sometimes wear them but not very often and only with a closed toe shoe! Please if you are wearing an open toe shoe, do not wear hose unless you get the toeless kind. Also choose the sheerest ones you can find in as close to your own natural skin tone as possible. I think it looks so weird when women wear the "suntan" color which is so, so dated especially when their arms are pale! I am also not a fan of black hose unless you are wearing long sleeves. In my opinion it looks strange to have black legs from the hose and then white arms with a a short sleeved or sleevless dress. I know lots of people will disagree with me on this one though.

Well, some people will notice...;)

I never wear pantyhose anymore, but my boyfriend does. It helps him slide on his 7 mm wetsuit. :)

Thank you for the giggle!

I generally don't wear panty hose or stockings. But I always bring a pair with me out of habit. Some day I will learn to leave them at home, LOL.

Just saw LOTS of pantihose at Macy's this afternoon. Again, thank you Kate M.!!

JMHO, stockings on legs---bare toes---looks odd. If you want to wear pantihose, wear close toed shoes. There are backless heels that also work with pantihose.

Gathina, I agree with your question--why are tights "acceptable" or even fashionable and pantyhose not? I still say I dislike the feel of shoes (other than sandals) on my bare feet, so always try to wear some kind of foot covering. Don't people's feet feel sticky and sweaty without covering? Don't one's shoes more readily get nasty/smelly? Do the "bare footers" use foot powder perhaps, for comfort and odor?

This is very interesting discussion, and I'm certainly learning a lot! Maybe I could be converted to a 'bare footer." :)

Gathina, I agree with your question--why are tights "acceptable" or even fashionable and pantyhose not? I still say I dislike the feel of shoes (other than sandals) on my bare feet, so always try to wear some kind of foot covering. Don't people's feet feel sticky and sweaty without covering? Don't one's shoes more readily get nasty/smelly? Do the "bare footers" use foot powder perhaps, for comfort and odor?

This is very interesting discussion, and I'm certainly learning a lot! Maybe I could be converted to a 'bare footer." :)

No, my feet don't get sweaty or sticky, lol! If anything they are less sweaty without a manmade fabric covering them.

I think pantyhose got their unfashionable rep because women were not trying to match their skin tone and especially that ever so popular color "suntan" looks so weird and unnatural when the whole point of hose is to look as natural as possible. When you wear tights, it is obvious that they are a fashion statement and not that you just are wearing the wrong color for your skin.

I think that the preference towards not wearing pantyhose came about more so when the corporate world became a little more causal in its dress policy. And then even more so when many of the stars started going without hose all year round.

Its just a personal preference. As for tights they are a fashion statement and warmth. As for wearing them with certain dress fabrics, there's always a first. Again, it's a personal preference.:o

I still think a lot of this is cultural..I've been in Europe and seen pantyhose in many places..I see them here in Southern Florida (Miami nonetheless!) on colder days (like below 70 degrees which can feel cold to someone who lives here). And I always remember when my former MIL (A Jamaican) took me to her church here in FL for a service and picnic..it was 80 plus degrees out and there wasn't a bare leg in the house AND they had on summer-sheer fabrics. Then when I went to church with her in Jamaica, I noticed the same thing for 99% of the women. If you look in the fashion magazines you will see women with peep toes and tights and/or hose. I saw a magazing last week with one of the "Real Wives of New Jersey" photo spread and she had on hose with ..gasp..peep toes!

If you notice in the stores, even the "suntan" color isn't the heavy deneer that it used to be..the deneer on all the hose seem to be finer and less noticable.

There are no hard/fast rules. I have an interview for a professor job at a major university here in southern fla next week and I am going to wear a very fine deneer , nude color with my shoes and skirt/suit. It will look ridiculous if I don't.

Excellent point..I mean, how many pictures have you seen from those so callled celebrities getting out of a limo when it's cold, they have a fur coat on and are hose-less? They really look ridiculous and I bet they wish they were wearing hose to stay warm!

I think that the preference towards not wearing pantyhose came about more so when the corporate world became a little more causal in its dress policy. And then even more so when many of the stars started going without hose all year round.

Its just a personal preference. As for tights they are a fashion statement and warmth. As for wearing them with certain dress fabrics, there's always a first. Again, it's a personal preference.:o

Wow, quite a discussion. I want to thank everyone for being so polite. Some of the other boards can turn quite nasty on almost any subject, so this is nice.

I asked DH if he would notice stockings with peep-toes and he said he generally doesn't look at women's feet, but might notice if they had the reinforced toe as opposed to a nude toe. So there's one guy's opinion. But then I've read elsewhere that women dress for other women, not men!

Wow, quite a discussion. I want to thank everyone for being so polite. Some of the other boards can turn quite nasty on almost any subject, so this is nice.

I asked DH if he would notice stockings with peep-toes and he said he generally doesn't look at women's feet, but might notice if they had the reinforced toe as opposed to a nude toe. So there's one guy's opinion. But then I've read elsewhere that women dress for other women, not men!

Now this is what I thought, or what my mom taught me growing up. When I got my first pair of peep toe sling-back heels... (I can feel the pride now when we picked them up at Stewart's), I digress. But she told me that I could wear them with the nude toe, versus the reinforced... which I always pulled under my foot anyway. My how times have changed. :D

I hate, hate , hate pantyhose. But wear them with knee-length dresses or skirst. I don't like to wear shoes, except sandels, without something on my feet. Have you thought about knee-highs? They are great under slacks and long dresses and skirts.

Excellent point..I mean, how many pictures have you seen from those so callled celebrities getting out of a limo when it's cold, they have a fur coat on and are hose-less? They really look ridiculous and I bet they wish they were wearing hose to stay warm!

Hope this link works because here's an article addressing just that.

http://www.stylelist.com/2012/02/29/bare-legs-in-winter_n_1301266.html?ref=stylelist&ncid=webmail12#s725337&title=Leighton_Meester

I grew up in a house where we had to attend church in a dress or skirt, pants were simply out of the question. This gets a little cold during the winter months and I had a solution for that. I wore longer skirts with knee length boots, but added my thermal underwear bottoms to it. LOL My mom was so disgusted that I would do such a thing! She complained to some of her friends and next service, most of the women had on the same thing!

She never let me live THAT one down! :D Doesn't have anything to do with pantyhose, but who knows, you may start a new trend.

You see a lot of that in south florida when the weather turns cold..black wool, black long sleeve dresses, or other wool or winter-weight clothing with open toed sandles or pumps and no hose..totally ruins an otherwise great outfit. Great link! This morning it's only 53 degrees in Palm Beach with a high barely reaching out of the 60's and you can bet you will see tights, boots, hose, and sweaters today

Well I HATE hose!! I try to never wear them! I understand why some women wear them, but I have a natural god given tan :Dand I hate anything tight around my waist! To me they remind me of my mom and grandmom so I feel "old lady" when I have to wear them..but if you feel better with them, go for it ! Just please please no black hose with white shoes!!:eek:

Archived